Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Trevor Story agreed to get paid $140 million on Sunday, but was not vaxxed . Boston was going to back out of the deal. Story got vaxxed on Tuesday.

May be one reason Conforto is still out there.

Toronto would be one of his biggest suitors, but him not being vaccinated basically takes them out of the running.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

g6m0rhy.gif?w=633&h=272

It's probably in Heyman's interest to put as many team names out there as he can to show that there is interest in Conforto. He and Boras are buddies after all.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

He didn’t say they have interest, just that it’s the perfect fit 

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It's probably in Heyman's interest to put as many team names out there as he can to show that there is interest in Conforto. He and Boras are buddies after all.

That was one short lived high…lol.  What’s funny is Hahn could save this offseason with just a handful of moves, but it doesn’t appear he cares about anything other than having the most expensive bullpen in baseball history.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Translation: the Sox didn't want to spend more than $18 million on Rodon. If they wanted him back, it would have been far less than that. Rodon obviously went elsewhere because teams were willing to give him a lot more money. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

The team isn’t a disaster because of the great core in place but this off-season has absolutely been a disaster, it’s pretty easy to separate the two.

They go together. 

Who's to say that the Front Office sleepwalking thru this offseason isn't as a result of already having this great core in place? 

13 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

They go together. 

Who's to say that the Front Office sleepwalking thru this offseason isn't as a result of already having this great core in place? 

They didn’t sleepwalk through the offseason, they added considerable payroll.  They just spent it horribly.  That’s why people are pissed.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They didn’t sleepwalk through the offseason, they added considerable payroll.  They just spent it horribly.  That’s why people are pissed.

It's like those sleepwalkers I've read about that eat weird things while their sleeping....like bowls of salt or non- kosher hot dogs.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

If memory serves, I think I remember RH telling reporters that he'd "like to have Rodon back, but not at $18MM."

I remember thinking that at ~$8MM/WAR, Rodon would only have to be a 2.2 WAR token to be worth his contract. IOW, Rodon could suffer a 50% loss in effectiveness, and still be worth the QO. (Yes, I believe that Rodon will be healthy enough during 2022 to attain 2.2 fWAR this season.)

When Hahn said that about Rodon, I knew he was about to fuck up the offseason.

38 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

If memory serves, I think I remember RH telling reporters that he'd "like to have Rodon back, but not at $18MM."

I remember thinking that at ~$8MM/WAR, Rodon would only have to be a 2.2 WAR token to be worth his contract. IOW, Rodon could suffer a 50% loss in effectiveness, and still be worth the QO. (Yes, I believe that Rodon will be healthy enough during 2022 to attain 2.2 fWAR this season.)

When Hahn said that about Rodon, I knew he was about to fuck up the offseason.

Stop whining, Rodon!!!

A certain GM just got too cute, and assumed NOBODY else amongst the other "pretty smart/market efficient" 29 MLB front offices would see things any differently than the Sox.

Well, who knows what he will produce this year, but the Giants worked miracles with Gausman/Desclafini/Wood last year and I'll tend to trust their pitching evaluations at this point, coming off a historic 107 win campaign.

Not only that, but Rodon was already at 96-98 today in his first spring outing.  Granted, it was 81 degrees in AZ, but his slowest FB was 95 and Lopez, who throws hard himself, was at 93-95.

No guarantee Rodon pitches 140+ innings again, but it wouldn't shock me either.   As you said, even at 2.4-2.5 fWAR vs. 4.9/5.0 fWAR, it's a much better return on value in FA than 75-80% of White Sox free agents signings under the Hahn regime.   And that's EXPECTING him not to pitch more than 70 to 80ish innings, something like 12-14 starts out of 30 something.

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Just got too cute, and assumed NOBODY amongst the other 29 MLB front offices would see things any differently than the Sox.

Well, who knows what he will produce this year, but the Giants worked miracles with Gausman/Desclafini/Wood last year and I'll tend to trust their pitching evaluations at this point, coming off a historic 107 win campaign.

Not only that, but Rodon was already at 96-98 today in his first spring outing.  Granted, it was 81 degrees in AZ, but his slowest FB was 95 and Lopez, who throws hard himself, was at 93-95.

No guarantee Rodon pitches 140+ innings again, but it wouldn't shock me either.   As you said, even at 2.4-2.5 fWAR vs. 4.9/5.0 fWAR, it's a much better return on value in FA than 75-80% of White Sox free agents signings under the Hahn regime.   And that's EXPECTING him not to pitch more than 70 to 80ish innings, something like 12-14 starts out of 30 something.

Exactly right. Even if Rodon only pitched 80 IP, he would have been a perfect pairing with Kopech. I happen to believe that Rodon will reach 100-120 IP this season easily, and perhaps more than that.

And I'd been critical of Rodon for having previously been a two-legged hippo in the past. His (apparent) newfound commitment to his body could help him remain more healthy than in the past. 

• Quin locked this topic