Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

21 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Opens up a spot for a left-handed bat as they are heavily right-handed.

Edit: I guess Tapia is left-handed but I still feel he is a bench option. Plus the Jays were linked to a lot of position players over the off-season. Feel like this is the final nail in the Conforto coffin.

Edit 2: forgot about vac status so disregard

Edited by Bob Sacamano

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Edit: I guess Tapia is left-handed but I still feel he is a bench option. Plus the Jays were linked to a lot of position players over the off-season. Feel like this is the final nail in the Conforto coffin.

Conforto can’t even get into their country. I doubt he’s an option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Tapia makes peanuts compared to Grichuk. This might open up some money for them to sign Conforto. Tapia is a 4th OFer. 

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I remember when I thought the Sox would actually pursue impact talent

I don't think the Sox were ever gonna match that Semien deal. But looking at the pitching market after the CBA, that Ray deal doesn't look bad at all. In fact, I thought it was fairly reasonable when he signed it. I think the Sox missed out on the Bassitt deal the most. The Mets absolutely got a steal there.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I don't think the Sox were ever gonna match that Semien deal. But looking at the pitching market after the CBA, that Ray deal doesn't look bad at all. In fact, I thought it was fairly reasonable when he signed it. I think the Sox missed out on the Bassitt deal the most. The Mets absolutely got a steal there.

The Sox continue to come off to me as a team that isn’t capable whenever they have to compete with other teams. They only excel when they jump the market and set it (see Grandal). We know they were taken aback pre-lockout with how quickly the market moved, and Hahn always was playing catch-up. Probably why they sign so many relievers, seems to be the only market that they get out in front of compared to other teams.

39 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Tapia makes peanuts compared to Grichuk. This might open up some money for them to sign Conforto. Tapia is a 4th OFer. 

Or, thinking positively, maybe it will feel up some cash for them to absorb a Kimbrel contract and then we can get one of their extra backup catchers, perhaps Reese McGuire, in return. 

If the Chicago media has a backbone, I really hope someone asks Hahn what the fuck the plan was for this offseason and how did we end up spending $50M on a bullpen, $11M on utility guys, and address absolutely none of the other needs Hahn mentioned at the end of season press conference.  Unfortunately outside of Fegan, the rest of these guys simply are water carriers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Or, thinking positively, maybe it will feel up some cash for them to absorb a Kimbrel contract and then we can get one of their extra backup catchers, perhaps Reese McGuire, in return. 

Only if we call him Spanky

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If the Chicago media has a backbone, I really hope someone asks Hahn what the fuck the plan was for this offseason and how did we end up spending $50M on a bullpen, $11M on utility guys, and address absolutely none of the other needs Hahn mentioned at the end of season press conference.  Unfortunately outside of Fegan, the rest of these guys simply are water carriers.

Chicago media barely covers Sox games to begin with. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Kimbrel + some cash for McGuire and Pinto (prospect acquired in Tapia deal)?

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

"If you’re a schadenfreude fan, Bassitt’s trade couldn’t have come at a more perfect time. A few weeks ago, infamous Coliseum hot dog vendor (and Cal PhD candidate) Hal Gordon and the independent A’s supporter group Oakland 68s concocted a plan to host a fan fest at Brooklyn Basin next to the water. They were already going to throw a party, but once the MLB lockout was lifted last week, the Saturday fan fest looked perfectly timed to celebrate the return of A’s baseball. It ended up being a eulogy of sorts for Bassitt’s career in Oakland. Literally minutes after items donated and signed by Bassitt — including a pair of cleats, a hat and a baseball – were raffled off, emcee Rick Tittle made an announcement.

“Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,” Tittle said into the mic, “but Chris Bassitt has been traded to the Mets for two pitching prospects.” The kelly green-clad fans didn’t even boo. A collective daze emerged, best summed up as “welp, it’s starting again.” Talking to fans individually, I sensed a mix of outrage and numbness."

SFGate.com

• Quin locked this topic