Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

In reality there are no real parallels between the teams fortunes, so arguing over comparisons and conflations is pretty silly.

I know I went with it for a small bit, because you can compare things like that for funsies, but Jack is taking it to places unknown, so let me have some fun:

Let me explain how the White Sox are actually like the Huns. They don't focus a lot on sustainable infrastructure (the minors), they have firey leaders who say that everyone will hate them, and are a few catastrophic injuries (I figure one death of Attila the Hun = multiple season ending injuries) from losing it all.

Sure, they may be on top of the world now, but what about tomorrow?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

I know I went with it for a small bit, because you can compare things like that for funsies, but Jack is taking it to places unknown, so let me have some fun:

Let me explain how the White Sox are actually like the Huns. They don't focus a lot on sustainable infrastructure (the minors), they have firey leaders who say that everyone will hate them, and are a few catastrophic injuries (I figure one death of Attila the Hun = multiple season ending injuries) from losing it all.

Sure, they may be on top of the world now, but what about tomorrow?

I'm more into the Visigoths myself.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Yup, although I still don't think that mattered for the Sox. Atlanta won the World Series, and they, too, were under .500 against winning teams in the regular season.

Obviously the Sox still had many areas to improve upon, and didn't improve any of them over the offseason, but I hesitate to point to their regular season performance against good teams as an important indicator given Atlanta's run

When you lose 2 of your Top 4-5 hitters and somehow replace them both...with one a Top 5 player in all of MLB, things are going your way in a sequence of events that's unrepeatable, like Sox starters and bullpen in 2005. 

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Bunch of not real Sox fans around here like ChiSox59 and Chicago White Sox!

I hope they feel much shame for their non-fanhoods!

I can’t even begin to estimate how much time & money I’ve invested in this franchise, yet a drunk, senile old man is able to question my fandom because I don’t want Leury Garcia as my everyday RF if Vaughn were out.  Would love to channel my inner Pedro right now and send his ass rolling to the ground.

InfamousBiodegradableEnglishpointer-size

(For the record, I’m only kidding and do not condone violence against senior citizens).

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hahn has honestly been telling us this was the plan since November. 

Looking back, this was my favorite Hahn quote:

“We made some improvements [with Hernandez], but there’s still a chance to potentially get better in that regard, too,” Hahn said.

The improvement was signing a guy who is worse lol

Is Hahn even our GM anymore?  Like seriously, the way he’s deviated away from the plans he stated at his end of season presser remind of the extensive manager search that was supposed to happen when Ricky was fired.  I think Tony may have assumed primary control over roster decisions.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I can’t even begin to estimate how much time & money I’ve invested in this franchise, yet a drunk, senile old man is able to question my fandom because I don’t want Leury Garcia as my everyday RF if Vaughn were out.  Would love to channel my inner Pedro right now and send his ass rolling to the ground.

InfamousBiodegradableEnglishpointer-size

(For the record, I’m only kidding and do not condone violence against senior citizens).

Don't get soft on me now pal. Don't let cancel culture shut down that loyalty and intensity! If you get banned you can use my username.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is Hahn even our GM anymore?  Like seriously, the way he’s deviated away from the plans he stated at his end of season presser remind of the extensive manager search that was supposed to happen when Ricky was fired.  I think Tony may have assumed primary control over roster decisions.

I'm done giving Hahn a pass. Over it. Did it for too long. This lies at the feet of Hahn... of course Tony still blows. Has anyone ever seen poppy and TLR in the same room at the same time?

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn wanted an entirely different type of manager too.  I honestly wonder if he is GM in title now and just does the leg work while TLR makes the personnel decisions. 

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm done giving Hahn a pass. Over it. Did it for too long. This lies at the feet of Hahn... of course Tony still blows. Has anyone ever seen poppy and TLR in the same room at the same time?

Fair enough, just weird he’s pulled a total 180 vs. his stated intentions.

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Hahn wanted an entirely different type of manager too.  I honestly wonder if he is GM in title now and just does the leg work while TLR makes the personnel decisions. 

Honestly, it also reminds me when Ozzie wanted to dump Thome in exchange for a rotating DH and Jerry told KW to make it happen.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, it also reminds me when Ozzie wanted to dump Thome in exchange for a rotating DH and Jerry told KW to make it happen.

The old Kotsay vs. Thome debate.  Culminating with Jim taking Matty deep near the end of that 2010 campaign.

20 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

GMAFB. I've said this over and over: if Hahn doesn't have full control he is free to you know resign. He is either on board with TLR or enjoys job security over executing his vision as a GM. The idea that Hahn is some hero to TLRs devil is silly. They all share the blame for failure and for the most part credit for any success.

That said I'm no longer team TLR or Hahn. I am currently agnostic so don't pin that shit on me right now. I'm in show me mode.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

GMAFB. I've said this over and over: if Hahn doesn't have full control he is free to you know resign. He is either on board with TLR or enjoys job security over executing his vision as a GM. The idea that Hahn is some hero to TLRs devil is silly. They all share the blame for failure and for the most part credit for any success.

That said I'm no longer team TLR or Hahn. I am currently agnostic so don't pin that shit on me right now. I'm in show me mode.

https://www.mlb.com/news/teams-with-best-lineups-in-2022?partnerId=zh-20220328-570896-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20220328-570896-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=AbRW2d0uFN4tV8KMtcEjGHq2swuWz9%2F1WWsHAcCpo1fdK5VeOOQtN%2FfTqI2%2FvzP9&bt_ts=1648475403249

White Sox (currently, before Vaughn injury) #3 offense in baseball behind Dodgers and Blue Jays.

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Archer at 3.5M>>VV at 3M

At least Archer was good at one point in his career. Can't say the same about VV. 

It's pretty telling that the Padres resorted to starting Arietta and VV down the stretch and wanted nothing to do with bringing him back.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Archer at 3.5M>>VV at 3M

At least Archer was good at one point in his career. Can't say the same about VV. 

No reason not to add both, really. Particularly when you consider there is no pitching depth in Charlotte coming to save the day.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

No reason not to add both, really. Particularly when you consider there is no pitching depth in Charlotte coming to save the day.

Well, except where the budget limit has been reached or we're waiting on Godot/Kimbrel to be dealt first.

Right now, Leury and/or Harrison might be the reason we don't have another spare $3-4 million on one more pitcher...or signing both Kelly and Graveman, etc.

I guess TLR/Hahn are waiting to comb over DFA's the final 10 days of spring training and take fliers on at least 2 more starters for Charlotte.

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, except where the budget limit has been reached or we're waiting on Godot/Kimbrel to be dealt first.

Right now, Leury and/or Harrison might be the reason we don't have another spare $3-4 million on one more pitcher...or signing both Kelly and Graveman, etc.

I guess TLR/Hahn are waiting to comb over DFA's the final 10 days of spring training and take fliers on at least 2 more starters for Charlotte.

It seems like the budget has been reached until they trade Kimbrel. 

• Quin locked this topic