Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Honestly that doesn’t seem like enough for Oakland. 

Fair enough.  I am not offering much for 1 year of a decent pitcher.  Clearly no one else is either.  

This gives them an interesting low minors arm and a guy they can play everyday right away and quite likely might lead their team in homers and RBI. 

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

1. Not going to happen as they aren't going to waste kopechs few innings in the minors

2. If kopech uses his limited innings in the minors, he won't be able to be called up as he will be done for the year.

3. They could trade for a SP but as you so often point out they don't have enough to trade for a quality pitcher.

4. True. If he does. Odds aren't good but possible

See it's easy .

I hate to admit this but I disagree with you.

Kopech should have always have started in the minors to manage him as a starter until mid-May/June

Rodon should have been given the QO and Kimbrel let go.  They missed badly on this.  

One week away from starting and they have no 5th starter and relying heavily on Keuchel to not suck and Cease to be a #3 on on world series team.....

Keuchel wasn't on the playoff roster and Cease wilted in the playoffs.  Rodon wore down but is not injured (yet).

This is what ruined the offseason.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Fair enough.  I am not offering much for 1 year of a decent pitcher.  Clearly no one else is either.  

This gives them an interesting low minors arm and a guy they can play everyday right away and quite likely might lead their team in homers and RBI. 

At the trade deadline last year, the Blue Jays gave up Austin Martin and Simeon Woods Richardson for a couple months of Jose Berrios. Those 2 guys are now the #1 and #10 prospects in the Twins's system on the Fangraphs list, so that was some real value for 2 months of a 3 WAR pitcher somewhat comparable to Manaea. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

At the trade deadline last year, the Blue Jays gave up Austin Martin and Simeon Woods Richardson for a couple months of Jose Berrios. Those 2 guys are now the #1 and #10 prospects in the Twins's system on the Fangraphs list, so that was some real value for 2 months of a 3 WAR pitcher somewhat comparable to Manaea. 

What about the more recent Sonny Gray trade?

13 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

I hate to admit this but I disagree with you.

Kopech should have always have started in the minors to manage him as a starter until mid-May/June

Rodon should have been given the QO and Kimbrel let go.  They missed badly on this.  

One week away from starting and they have no 5th starter and relying heavily on Keuchel to not suck and Cease to be a #3 on on world series team.....

Keuchel wasn't on the playoff roster and Cease wilted in the playoffs.  Rodon wore down but is not injured (yet).

This is what ruined the offseason.

That's fine. I wouldn't be sold on Kopech in the MLB either. I think there are pros/cons either way.However, they have made it clear this is what they are going to do. So it needs to be in the plans.

They definitely need to do a better job of making sure the top pitchers are ready at the end of the season and into the start of the post season.

Edited by ptatc

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It was a year and half of Berrios. And Berrios is a much better pitcher than Manaea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What about the more recent Sonny Gray trade?

The Twins sent along their first round pick from last year, spot #26, and a filler piece. I think Gray is a little more expensive, but does have an option. So if you treated Gray and Manaea comparably (Both were 3-rWAR pitchers last year), that's Colson Montgomery for Manaea straight up.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The Twins sent along their first round pick from last year, spot #26, and a filler piece. I think Gray is a little more expensive, but does have an option. So if you treated Gray and Manaea comparably (Both were 3-rWAR pitchers last year), that's Colson Montgomery for Manaea straight up.

Wrong again. Filler piece came back to twins. Not visa versa.  

• Like 1

Realistically don’t see Twins allowing Sox to get Manaea. Twins can beat any offer fairly easily and need him more than Sox. Unless Sox wanna use the Sheets bullet here and Oakland likes him (seems like a guy they would like), I just don’t see it. And Sheets is our DH right now so…….yeah. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Realistically don’t see Twins allowing Sox to get Manaea. Twins can beat any offer fairly easily and need him more than Sox. Unless Sox wanna use the Sheets bullet here and Oakland likes him (seems like a guy they would like), I just don’t see it. And Sheets is our DH right now so…….yeah. 

Yeah, only way I would do that is if we also had plans to dump Kimbrel and his salary and then sign Conforto. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I would send Sheet for Maenea for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You’d have to get Oakland in love with Thompson/Dalquist/Kelley. I agree I don’t think it’s enough. Unless you can get them to go after Ramos or Rodriguez, but I would be hesitant to move either for a potential rental.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I would send Sheet for Maenea for sure.

I would have no problem with it if it also meant Kimbrel is dumped and Conforto is signed. I’m not cool with Jake Burger being our everyday DH. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Rodon dominated yesterday

He also dominated the first half of last year, however the facts remain in the 7 years he was with the Sox he has only averaged 95 innings per year.  While he did pitch 132 last year, he was toast after the All-Star game.  I'm not wishing ill will on Carlos but the Sox made their decision based on his track record and injury history.  Should they have at least made the QO to at least get a draft pick is debatable, but signing him to a contract at the money Boras wanted is not a smart baseball decision.  I hope he proves me wrong now that he's in the NL but I don't think 22 million per year is a smart contract given his injury history and the way he fell of last year in the second half.

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sheets is untouchable at the moment, but there are plenty of other pieces that I think would be of interest.

If a trade for Manaea gets done, I’m expecting one of Burger, Popeye, or Ramos +
one of Dalquist or Thompson + Adolfo or filler piece.

• Quin locked this topic