Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Why does anyone want Kiermaier? He's terrible defensively. 

That's why they would prefer to dump him before Meadows...along with age, salary and fall off in offensive production.

"The Rays seem to have ample bullpen depth, and with rosters expanding from 26 to 28 for the first month, they could carry 15 or even 16 pitchers. Fairbanks’ absence could open a spot for Jason Adam, Chris Mazza or Ryan Thompson, or another lefty, to make the roster."

Just keep reloading.

TampaBay.com/sports

Just now, caulfield12 said:

That's why they would prefer to dump him before Meadows...along with age, salary and fall off in offensive production.

"The Rays seem to have ample bullpen depth, and with rosters expanding from 26 to 28 for the first month, they could carry 15 or even 16 pitchers. Fairbanks’ absence could open a spot for Jason Adam, Chris Mazza or Ryan Thompson, or another lefty, to make the roster."

Just keep reloading.

TampaBay.com/sports

No, I meant offensively. I'm watching another sporting event where terrible defense is being played. Kiermaier is great defensively, terrible with the stick. 

4 hours ago, GermanSoxFan said:

If you think that the playoffs in baseball prove anything,  I don’t know what to,say.

Or does anyone really believe Atlantic was the best team in baseball last year?

The playoffs for the Sox did prove a couple of things. They were the same team in the playoffs that they were in the regular season except minus their best pitcher. They hit and played way better at home than they did on the road and they couldn't beat good teams.

I know the road thing happens for a lot of players. But the better teams can manage to look like better teams on the road. Sox players looked like they missed their naps. The only Sox regular position players with better road than home stats was Eloy and he was a mess when the playoffs started. I haven't looked at the pitchers.

Atlanta may not have been the best team but they took control of their own destiny. They got hot at the right time and took full advantage of the pieces they picked up at the trade deadline and rode those guys to a Championship.

I have no idea how to fix that particular problem . Maybe it happens to a lot of young players. TLR has been around long enough that he could grab the bull by the horns and rest guys on the last day of a home stand or use hit and runs more on the road.

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who would the Rays DH then?

I'm not sure how into the weeds you want to get, but the Rays have arguably the deepest farm system in baseball and a ton of upper minors talent ready to step in. I'm not sure it's a given they would want 1 or 2 primary DH options if they were to trade Meadows.

Them going with platoons or a floating DH would make a lot of sense.

I feel like we rode around in a 1994 Dodge Avenger during the rebuild, finally can afford a new Tesla, but have the crypt keeper driving us and no electric charging station in sight. 

Edited by ShoeLessRob
I no spell good
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

He's their annointed 2023 closer, apparently.  Still think this Kimbrel thing bleeds over into the regular season and how Kimbrel looks then and what type of start the Rays get off to.

Agree with you on Kimbrel. I don't think the Sox are moving him. We're about a week and a half away from opening day. I think if we were gonna see a big move (and this goes for all clubs) it would have happened by now. Maybe May will be busier than normal.

57 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm not sure how into the weeds you want to get, but the Rays have arguably the deepest farm system in baseball and a ton of upper minors talent ready to step in. I'm not sure it's a given they would want 1 or 2 primary DH options if they were to trade Meadows.

Them going with platoons or a floating DH would make a lot of sense.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2022/03/13/trading-austin-meadows-may-not-be-pleasant-but-could-be-ideal-for-rays/

9 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m cool with Kimbrel + cash for Meadows. 

I hope and wish this is the case, and any other team I think it happens. But the Rays always have incredible depth and an insane ability to pull relievers out of a hat, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just call up some guy we've never heard of and he's lights out in the pen too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I hope and wish this is the case, and any other team I think it happens. But the Rays always have incredible depth and an insane ability to pull relievers out of a hat, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just call up some guy we've never heard of and he's lights out in the pen too.

Oh I would be surprised if it happens.  Any Kimbrel move seems like wishful thinking at this point. 

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Yeah, damn pesky Rays for actually putting in the work into scouting and developing players. And damn them, too, for recognizing that RPs are supposed to be cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I still can't believe we didn't improve the team in any way this offseason. How is that possible lol

Truly is incredible.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt on the front end of this restarted offseason as there was still plenty of time on the clock.  But we're at the the 11th hour, no moves appear to be in sight, and at this point it can be anointed nothing short of an embarrassing offseason.  Truly don't understand the strategy and lack of moves.  

Thankfully we still have an elite team as is that should win this division going away, but its incredible that they didn't add a RF and at least at serviceable backend SP to compete with Keuchel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Rays tried trading for Kimbrel last trade deadline.

And we've already covered this many times.

The Rays had different needs than the SOX. They also have much more MiLB depth from which to trade. Most importantly, they're actually competent enough to have not blown a hole in their MLB roster to add something they didn't need.

Or, are you trying to argue that it was GOOD to add Kimbrel? If so, please share with us.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I still can't believe we didn't improve the team in any way this offseason. How is that possible lol

At the TDL, I had the needs, in order, as:

1. SOLVE RF, then

2. Find a cromulent 2B, then

3. Find vs RHP solution(s) for the lineup, then

4. Find a backup catcher who can add value defensively and in game calling, then finally 

5. Add affordable depth to the 'pen.

Since then, they’ve solved #5 with a very expensive carton of bullets, but allowed the needs to become:

1. SOLVE RF, then

2. Add rotation depth, then

3. Find a cromulent 2B, then

4. Find a defensive C to backup our achy/aging one, then

5. (Before the post-season), find solution(s) for tough RHP.

Seems to me that there's been an abject lack of prioritization by this FO. It still could work out, but perhaps not as well as they think it will.

We'll see. 

• Quin locked this topic