Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It isn't worth 5/100 for a platoon player.

What is the actual breakdown of RH vs LH pitchers a team faces?  70/30 RH vs LH?  So Conforto struggles against 30% of the pitching he faces.  The rest of the lineup struggles against that 70%.  He's also not a complete black hole in the field and doesn't kill Luis Robert.  And he's sitting out there in FA waiting to be signed.  It just costs money and they can structure a contract that doesn't kill their precious future flexibility.  I know I'm not basing this directly off advanced stats, but its also not rocket science.  Reducing him to a platoon player is hyperbole IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

You got in before my edit, but 27% is the league high % spent on RPs. Even without Kimbrel, the theoretical 19.7% is the highest in MLB.

The other thing that you're willfully ignoring is that none of the recent signees are multi-inning types that can substantially lighten the load on the starting rotation. So even the makeup of the pen is questionable, unless you trust and believe in Lopez.

And thats even before you consider how TLR & Katz USE their BP. Last season, Sox Relievers pitched the fewest IP in MLB. 

you put this edit in after I replied. I wholeheatredly agree they overworked the starters coming off the previous year. I hope Katz learned his lesson and changes it. A positive sign is that he changed it at the end of the season but it was too late by then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

OK, look, there are reasons to not want Conforto.  His 2021 could well be a redflag to start with.  But because he doesn't hit great against lefties?  I mean have you see the rest of this roster?  There is literally everyone else on this roster who can hit against lefties.  We would be fine.

How many make $20M+per year....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

What is the actual breakdown of RH vs LH pitchers a team faces?  70/30 RH vs LH?  So Conforto struggles against 30% of the pitching he faces.  The rest of the lineup struggles against that 70%.  He's also not a complete black hole in the field and doesn't kill Luis Robert.  And he's sitting out there in FA waiting to be signed.  It just costs money and they can structure a contract that doesn't kill their precious future flexibility.  I know I'm not basing this directly off advanced stats, but its also not rocket science.  Reducing him to a platoon player is hyperbole IMO.

That was just in response to the person that said they could platoon him with those splits. Not that he should platoon.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

So here's what an actual platoon bat looks like are when discussing real players

Joc Pederson, famous Platoon Bat (all career numbers)
Vs. RHP - 123 wRC+
Vs. LHP - 68 wRC+ (25% worse than Conforto's weakside platoon)

Theres a guy that a lot wanted here during the playoffs that had a similar career line. Nobody called him a platoon bat.

Vs. RHP - 130 wRC+
Vs. LHP - 91 wRC+

(Conforto is 136/94)

Joc hit .265 2ith 17 RBI's against LHP

Conforto hit .200 with 6 RBI's against LHP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

It's the cost of quality free agents.  It's where the Sox should be spending their money instead of over paid RPs.

I agree it is.  Go pay Castellanos that, go pay Freeman that, go pay Schwarber that, go pay Story that and move Timmy to 2B.  Plenty of people we should have gotten/gone after but didn't 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

You're not paying these guys to hit left handed pitchers. There's 7 other guys in this lineup that absolutely mash lefties. I'm not sure why some people are getting so hung up on this. 

FWIW, the 2021 NL MVP Bryce Harper hit .257 against lefties last year. Is he also a platoon bat? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

not my money; all I care about is the Sox winning games and championships. I'd sign him for 100 million of jerry's money tomorrow and the next day. guy has gotten filthy rich enough off support from people like myself. 

Yeah yeah we've been down this before but then you b**** and moan about a 1 year $5M deal for a plug in 2B, so who you crappin?

23 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I gave you a like because you are right. I just wish the same logic applied to Sheets. I mean I get it, no pedigree, small sample size of AB's, can't play the OF all in Conforto's favor which is why I want him. But I also want Sheets to get a lot of AB's because our 2 other SH lefties are more about OBP and getting injured (Grandal) and another quality LH power hitter in the lineup would be a lot better than just Conforto to become just as dominant as the Sox are  against left handed pitching .

Like you said, if the breakdown of pitchers is 70% righthanded ,being a strong LH lineup will result in more wins than a predominantly RH lineup facing only 30% of pitchers.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Yes he had a conspicuously terrible June-July that happened to coincide with a hamstring injury where he hit negative-6 wRC+ vs LHP.

surrounding that, he was at 93 wRC+ in March-May and after that he was at 124 wRC+ vs LHP

So that's why larger sample sizes help.

But if you'd rather Joc Pederson because he's a complete player that will help us win the championship and you can use those cost savings toward more bullpen pitchers, go right ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

You're not paying these guys to hit left handed pitchers. There's 7 other guys in this lineup that absolutely mash lefties. I'm not sure why some people are getting so hung up on this. 

FWIW, the 2021 NL MVP Bryce Harper hit .257 against lefties last year. Is he also a platoon bat? 

He hit for a better AVG against lefties than Conforto did vs righties, you are proving my point....

1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

When did he get traded to the Sox?

Also 100 RBI's and almost 40 HR.  Yeah thats worth $20M+

What if I told you that Joey Votto has a lower OPS against lefties than Conforto does over the past 3 years? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

He hit for a better AVG against lefties than Conforto did vs righties, you are proving my point....

That just means that he's better vs. righties than he is lefties. So that's a platoon bat, isn't it? 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

What if I told you that Joey Votto has a lower OPS against lefties than Conforto does over the past 3 years? 

Meaningless to me.  Votto has been downhill since like his age 33 season and is on his massive contract still.  Its like saying that when Soto hits 40.  Who cares about someone getting paid huge at the end of their career on a long term contract. 

• Quin locked this topic