Vaughn has a hip pointer injury, out 1-2 weeks

Sleepy Harold

Amongst all of this complaining, has anyone mentioned that it was actually a pretty nice catch? Yes, I know that a right fielder with average speed, would likely have caught the ball on the run and stayed on his feet. Nevertheless, that play, as well as several that he made last year, demonstrate that he's more than adequate with his glove. He just can't overcome his lack of foot speed. If he were to try another position, other than first base, he would probably be better suited for the "hot corner". I wonder if he ever muses; "Maybe I should have been a catcher".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Everyone calling for an outfielder is supporting benching Vaughn against all but lefties.  Just make sure you add that point to your comments.

Personally I think it's fine if he has a season in Charlotte. Abreu sounds like he's retiring after this season so just wait a year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

15 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Everyone calling for an outfielder is supporting benching Vaughn against all but lefties.  Just make sure you add that point to your comments.

Why can't Vaughn be the primary DH, while also giving Eloy and Abreu time off in LF and at 1B?  Sheets could start in AAA.

13 minutes ago, VAfan said:

No they aren't. They just want a mostly RH lineup with Vaughn in LF as if he wouldn't dive there too. Eloy goes to DH. Sheets in the minors. If Eloy stays in LF and Vaughn doesn't play RF then Sheets is still the odd man out at DH.

He shouldn't have been in the game. Get a couple OFrs and he can be backup at DH. There was a chance he would have lit up AAA last year. He's getting rushed along and forced out of position. And does he really benefit? 

29 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Nope, only those that refuse to see the available ABs for him.  There is no reason you bench him over lesser players.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Don't you start talking positive about the Sox. You will he labeled as a a person to carry their water or be mocked as a person who just doesn't see reality.

You should also be careful. I know a few mods who might mock you for having your feelings hurt or feeling sorry for yourself.But you are a medical professional so they wouldn't dare. By the way to make it clear ,I'm always good with most of your posts. No 2 people always agree 100% but I know you are a baseball fan for the love of the game and the simple pleasures it brings you.

Yes, Mr. La Russa, there are players in the organization who can handle RF. The problem is, there aren't any who can handle both RF and right handed pitchers. We don't need a right fielder, as much as we need a LH bat, who happens to play a decent RF. We hear that there's one, who is unsigned. His name is Michael Conforto. Ever hear of him?

Edited by Lillian

Vaughn out 1-2 years with pointless hip injury. Adam Engel ready to dominate. Gavin Sheets also prepared after his dad was hitting him fly balls the last two winters. Conforto not ready unless more money is tendered.

24 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

He can STFU already please and thanks.  

I mean, this was obvious listening to the White Sox Talk podcast where Merkin says the Sox have in house options with Micker, Sheets, and Engel and then Chuck interviews Micker and Sheets.

But then also, this lineup needs a fucking left handed hitter that is a natural right fielder, Tony.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you didn't know it was over before, now you do.  Tony has spoken.

And I won't ever disagree with it. Going 4 or 5 years on the outfielder people want is just crazy. It works for 1 year, 2 years at best and even than it will be an overpay. Conforto is just not that good and I'm not giving 4-5 years on someone coming off his worse year in his career...nope.  

A front-line starting pitcher, a cost controlled guy like Ketel Marte (who is a true difference maker I can see).  I would have been fine with Correa (even without a position) cause he's an elite level talent.  Go right ahead. Conforto is not that and while he is left handed the reality is he is, just like the many other RF options we have, a lousy defensive outfielder (which is my real problem).  

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, this was obvious listening to the White Sox Talk podcast where Merkin says the Sox have in house options with Micker, Sheets, and Engel and then Chuck interviews Micker and Sheets.

But then also, this lineup needs a fucking left handed hitter that is a natural right fielder, Tony.

Conforto is not a good fielder. He is a lefty - but spending 100M and 5 years on a lefty probably isn't the difference in this club making the series or not. I'd rather spend that money on a Gio long term deal while leveraging some of our internal options a bit better.  

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's been obvious for a while that they weren't going to add anyone significant.  But I could do w/o him being a smug prick about it.

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

Nope. Most of us make the point in our plan that Sheets would go be depth in AAA.

I'm sure the combo Eloy, Conforto, Vaughn, Abreu will see some time on the IL eventually. The at bats will be there in the majors for Sheets.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2