Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

One thing about Pollock that is nice vs. most of our hitters is he is good at hitting breaking balls (he also, like the rest of our team, absolutely fucking crushes fastballs).

His splits are good too. While he may have had an outlier last year, he has always hit above average vs. RHP (113 wRC+). So he's a productive RHH.

And in our extremely easy RF, and next to Luis, maybe he can turn a positive OF defense.

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

Good move all things considered.

If the Sox didn't cover any money on Kimbrel, a BUNCH of people have to eat some shit around here 😂

I'll gladly take a generous helping.

• Like 1

Pollock, while injury-prone has played at least half the games per season in the last 3 seasons. Including 117 games last year and the full year in the shortened 2020 season. 

He's projected for .268/.321/.484 by ZiPS in 405 PA (108 G). I think combined with Engel, they can cover RF. The games they can't cover, there's always Vaughn. 

This is the OF depth we really needed. Pollock is a solid 3 WAR per 600 PA type guy. We just probably won't get the 600 PAs. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

no big issue with the trade im ok with it

just, he's 34 and a Righty and often injured. I think big bust potential

Funny, you can use that exact same description about Kimbrel. I think the trade is a win-win for both teams. Both filled holes they had with guys who are older with a potential to bust. 

• Like 2

Just now, chw42 said:

Funny, you can use that exact same description about Kimbrel. I think the trade is a win-win for both teams. Both filled holes they had with guys who are older with a potential to bust. 

Sox simply couldn’t keep Kimbrel around in a situation he didn’t want to be in.

• Like 1

Just now, hogan873 said:

I like it.  So...since TLR said his shit about fans wanting to upgrade the OF are not real fans, the Sox have acquired two outfielders.  Maybe he should talk some shit about fans wanting another SP.

Rick Hahn finally getting revenge for not getting to hire Hinch. I like to imagine he was prepared to roll with internal options for right field, heard TLR's comments and just went "oh, fuck off."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, fathom said:

So where does he play if they want Sheets and Vaughn getting at bats?

TLR is going to have a ton of options to play with. This isn't going to be a team with a "regular" lineup. 

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm probably picking nits but I think because his limitations are so obvious that makes him not big bust potential. But just having him, even with a likelihood he's only at 100 games, makes engel more valuable and the OF seem so much better.

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Like....the guy we just traded for him? I'll take Pollock's "potential" on our roster vs the closer that no one asked for, and at a cheaper price.

So we saved 6m, 5m of which can be used for the buyout next year if they feel Colas is ready. 

I wish Pollock was left handed but whatever, it's already well established that we hate LH savages and apparently enjoy getting killed by RHP. At least it's a quality player when healthy. 

What does this mean for Vaughn? 

Keep in minors awhile to get year of service time and then DH? 

At least Kimbrel is off the roster.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 2

Just now, Quin said:

Rick Hahn finally getting revenge for not getting to hire Hinch. I like to imagine he was prepared to roll with internal options for right field, heard TLR's comments and just went "oh, fuck off."

'Take that, old man!"

• Haha 3

Just now, fathom said:

Sox simply couldn’t keep Kimbrel around in a situation he didn’t want to be in.

There was never a way for it to work after the way last season went. He simply couldn't be on this team Opening Day. 

• Like 2

Just now, chw42 said:

Probably, but it's scary to go into the season without a single halfway decent left handed bat. 

I mean we have Grandal and Moncada. They aren't monsters but they are good LHB, certainly better than halfway decent.

Just now, bmags said:

I mean we have Grandal and Moncada. They aren't monsters but they are good LHB, certainly better than halfway decent.

I guess it's better than the Blue Jays' situation where their entire lineup is right handed lol