Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where's Balta? lol 

Content with him being gone, impressed how many people who thought he was worth Bellinger are suddenly totally ok with that return. It's pretty much taking on an OF who fits but who is somewhat overpaid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

Pollock's stays last year were great, if he can give us 120 games plus playoffs this is a huge win for the lineup

But with Crochet/Kimberl possibly both gone the bullpen depth isn't great, easy fix at the deadline though. 

No Kelly for most of April might suck, but we've still got 3 dependable relievers in Liam, Bummer, Graveman. With Crochet and Kelly, hurt, Crick probably makes the team. We just gotta hope he turns out to be good to cover the 5th/6th inning. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Content with him being gone, impressed how many people who thought he was worth Bellinger are suddenly totally ok with that return. It's pretty much taking on an OF who fits but who is somewhat overpaid. 

I’d rather have Pollock than Bellinger.  And on what planet is he overpaid?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Was the $3M bonus already paid?  So its $18M luxury tax hit, but out of pocket for Sox is $15M?  So a $1M savings.  

Not sure how the math will work out, the signing bonus is given out every year, so we might have to pay it? 

12 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

With Pollack having very little RF experience I hope this means Vaughn (when healthy) in RF and Eloy DH’ing the majority of the time. Probably won’t happen but would be nice 

That makes no sense while Pollack may have played LF and CF more than RF, to say "I hope this means Vaughn (when healthy) in RF" who has played how many games in the outfield?   I'd like to see Pollack in LF, Robert in CF, and Engel in RF...they are all outfielders and not 1B attempting to play the outfield for the first time in their careers.

Eloy to DH

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

No Kelly for most of April might suck, but we've still got 3 dependable relievers in Liam, Bummer, Graveman. With Crochet and Kelly, hurt, Crick probably makes the team. We just gotta hope he turns out to be good to cover the 5th/6th inning. 

I have a feeling long relievers are going to be more valuable than set-up guys during April.

Just now, fathom said:

I’d rather have Pollock than Bellinger.  And on what planet is he overpaid?

At his CBT salary, he's probably paid correctly. But we're really taking on either $15 million or $18 million for a 1 year deal here, so we're paying him like he's a 2 WAR player. That's probably what will happen, but we'll see. 

BUT WHERE IS OUR RESOURCE ALLOCATION?!?!?

In all seriousness, at this stage of the offseason, the Kimbrel deal had to fill a hole.  Pollock is a great fit, even with his injury history, we have other back up options for when the injuries happen.  If nothing else the defensive ability of the OF just went up a TON, along with a legit bat.  Would have been better if he was LH, but this works.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Give the laughs all you want @ChiSox59. You left a paper trail.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:14 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Id be shocked if the Sox trades for Pollock. Doesn’t really make much sense. 

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

That makes no sense while Pollack may have played LF and CF more than RF, to say "I hope this means Vaughn (when healthy) in RF" who has played how many games in the outfield?   I'd like to see Pollack in LF, Robert in CF, and Engel in RF...they are all outfielders and not 1B attempting to play the outfield for the first time in their careers.

Eloy to DH

My point was to get Eloy at DH to avoid injury.

Not willing to bench Vaughn tho, Either play him full time or bite the bullet and trade him. Anything in between is dumb in my opinion 

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Maybe we use the 5 million in savings to sign a reliever.

There is very likely $1 million in savings.

Pollock receives $5 million as a buy-out if he declines his player option. The White Sox have either taken on 1/$15 or 2/$20 if I'm reading this right.

Frankly, I'm surprised at this, and happily so. I'm happy for Kimbrel. He was brought over, lost the role he had built his career on, and for all intents lost his market value. Raw deal there so glad LA kept faith he could revert back to what he was before all that. For the Sox, well Pollack is way better than the $16 mil bag of baseballs it appeared they were stuck with. Essentially, now its a become Madrigal for Pollock. Not ideal, but somewhat tolerable.

Edited by SpringfieldFan

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We're gonna live or die by Reylo and Velasquez aren't we? 

If the Sox get Manaea that means they could have Reylo, Velazquez and Keuchel (or Kopech) all in long relief to start the season. That is probably as good or better than most teams. 

• Like 3