Kimbrel traded for AJ Pollock

Sleepy Harold

Ohmigod...Soxtalk has been like a great festering abscess...Kimbrel is terrible, Management is stupid for picking up Kimbrel's extension, we only have 1B playing RF, worst offseason ever...there were 100 negative emails a day.  And then in one single move...the pimple has burst...after cleaning up the puss...the end of Soxtalk negativity.  . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 3

This is Hanz Hahn trying to polish up that turd he sold us last year and then picked up an option on that turd to make it a double-turd. We don't really need Pollack for anything except a filet-o-fish.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

I want Vaughn in the everyday lineup as much as possible. Think he's going to mash.

What this trade does (finally) is give the roster a little flexibility. 

I still think you can find plenty of at bats for Vaughn in LF, DH, 1B without sacrificing Eloy, Abreu. 

Pollock probably needs days off to stay healthy anyway.

Vaughn was the second worst hitter on the team against righties last year, ahead of only Seby Zavala.  I'm sure LaRussa will give him a chance to improve on that, but you don't want to be forced into a situation with him getting a lot of ABs there.   He's a perfect platoon partner with Gavin Sheets, who mashes righties almost as well as Vaughn crushes lefties.  And now they can do that mostly playing DH/1B, where they are more suited.  I'm sure they'll still get some OF time, but it won't be a lot. 

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Agreed. We'll probably still see Vaughn in RF occasionally if they want to give Pollock rest at DH every now and then.

Yeah, I broke it out a page or so back, but they have plenty of games to go around. If they traded Sheets - maybe possible? - Vaughn just slides in at DH, moves to the OF to give a guy a breather when Yas moves to DH for 25-30 games, and etc. Even if they don't move Sheets, Vaughn should be able to find 120ish games and hopefully he can force their hand even more with elite production.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Ohmigod...Soxtalk has been like a great festering abscess...Kimbrel is terrible, Management is stupid for picking up Kimbrel's extension, we only have 1B playing RF, worst offseason ever...there were 100 negative emails a day.  And then in one single move...the pimple has burst...after cleaning up the puss...the end of Soxtalk negativity.  . 

AMEN!!  

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Pollock probably gets $5+ million next year in a deal if he's any decent this year and plays at least half the season. From a money standpoint, he's probably going to opt-out. But if he really likes it here, maybe he stays. 

the player option is 10 mil though. So I get the 5+5 is more than 10, but Is he really going to get much more than that as a 35yo with an injury history? Depends on his season success. Andrew McCutchen is the only FA over 35 to get above 6 million for a contract that I can find in recent years (and it was a 1/8.5 mil deal) 34 year olds Calhoun (5.2) and Tommy Pham (7.5) also around that range, but mostly it falls in the 3-6 mil range at that age level. 

Just now, Capn12 said:

It DOES feel like true White Sox fashion, to trade away a bullpen guy, the day we learned that another bullpen arm is gone for the season.

And yes, we needed to make that trade, just find the timing amusing.

Yeah haha I was in favor of them signing another lefty this off-season. At least Sousa is having a good spring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Because I’d rather have Vaughn in the field than watch Eloy hurt himself.

Im also higher on Vaughn than seemingly 99% of the board and want to see him get regular AB’s. 

LOL There are people here who are so high on Vaughn it's like they've been smoking him .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

15 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

At 34 (35 at time of option) this is really getting a 2 year 20 million dollar deal. on a competitive team...that doesn't require him to play 600 abs, I see zero reason why he doesn't take the 10 mil to end his career. This aligns perfect with Cespedes and Colas incoming and is miles better than a 5 year Conforto deal IF those guys are good enough to be starters. 

Its a $5M deal really. If he takes the player option it means he was either seriously hurt all season or literally awful. All he has to do is beat a 1/$5M deal to come out ahead. We should all assume this is a 1 year stay. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I broke it out a page or so back, but they have plenty of games to go around. If they traded Sheets - maybe possible? - Vaughn just slides in at DH, moves to the OF to give a guy a breather when Yas moves to DH for 25-30 games, and etc. Even if they don't move Sheets, Vaughn should be able to find 120ish games and hopefully he can force their hand even more with elite production.

Okay Ray Ray.  I just complimented you and now you write "trade Sheets."  What????  That would be a HORRIBLE move.  Sheets crushes right handers better than most of our STARs.  And he's only going to get better. 

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its a $5M deal really. If he takes the player option it means he was either seriously hurt all season or literally awful. All he has to do is beat a 1/$5M deal to come out ahead. We should all assume this is a 1 year stay. 

Worth keeping in mind that the option increases in value every 50 plate appearances starting at 400. Pollock's track record tells us it's a dicey proposition for him to get much over 400, but if he does manage to play nearly every day it's a $15M option.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

He is expected my dude! I have him at 8+ WAR this season. I meant specifically in RF and LF. Elite now across the board. 

Oh, I know. I just wanted to cut in front of you to steal a fly ball, as it were. 

on another note, at least Pollock and Kimbrel can see their old buddies at Camelback for another week. 

Just now, Jake said:

Worth keeping in mind that the option increases in value every 50 plate appearances starting at 400. Pollock's track record tells us it's a dicey proposition for him to get much over 400, but if he does manage to play nearly every day it's a $15M option.

If he plays everyday and has a 125 wRC+ fucking give it to him gladly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1