SOX GT 6/24 - BEGINNING OF A 3 GAME WIN STREAK

he gone.

Think this is my first thread - also, if they win today and I don't have a thread up by like noon? Someone else take it. 

Voth v. Kopech

Voth in his (part of) 5th season. Made it to majors at age 26. He relies mostly (46%) on a fastball which he leaves up more than he should. This is reflected in just some bottom of the barrel xBA, xSLG, xWOBA stats. He can get some K's, but has walked guys at nearly 9% clip in his career. His other two pitches are a cutter and a curve. This year he's increased both of those while quitting his fastball. Believe it or not he was throwing that thing like 60% of the time before this. Basically? He's a reliever that's being forced into this role. His longest outing this year was his last at 2.2ip, so we're likely only going to see him for a few. There's not much here to like if you're an O's fan. It's almost like a video game on rookie setting, but righties are batting .396 against him this year resulting in a 13.09ERA ... that's not a typo. Now ... that's 11ip against righties, so small sample. Nevertheless if there was ever a time that Tony ran out an all righty lineup? This is it. Also, if there was ever a time to let Sosa get his first MLB hit and have an easy matchup .... this is it. 

Kopech i won't rehash. 

If you drink a Modelo for every Sox run you may be hammered by the 5th tonight. 

Go go sox. Let's start a streak and have some fun tonight. If we lose this, god forbid ... because on paper, this is about as good of a matchup youll get. 

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not sure if this made last nights’s game thread or not.

To be fair.... that's probably led to a reduction of about 2 runs. Let's be honest - a majority of those 13 would have been stranded at 3rd anyways.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JoeC said:

To be fair.... that's probably led to a reduction of about 2 runs. Let's be honest - a majority of those 13 would have been stranded at 3rd anyways.

Yeah, all things considered, I am always side with being extra aggressive with 2 outs.  Especially with a poor hitter coming up next in Harrison.  Still requires a good play from the defense.  It didn't work, and won't most of the time, but Harrison also won't get a hit most of the time.  

• Like 1

I sure hope you are right about the start of a 3 game winning streak but after last night's pitiful debacle it's clear that the White Sox are going to have a hard time even splitting the series. Fans will continue to cuss and complain and voice their displeasure and be angry about Chicago's pathetic showing this season but without some major changes forthcoming it's going to be more of the same if you ask me. How can a team with so much promise and talent go out on the field and play so inconsistent and incompetent baseball? Yes, a new manager would be a start but at some point the White Sox players have to be held accountable for their part so far in this season's performance and results. Upper management has failed as well and definitely has their share of blame to own. With all that said, I don't have the answers to what needs to be fixed but I'll continue to support the team like always but with much lower expectations going forward. I've certainly not given up completely on the season but so far there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of positives or promise that the White Sox can start clicking on all cylinders and turn this mediocre mess into a winner.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, all things considered, I am always side with being extra aggressive with 2 outs.  Especially with a poor hitter coming up next in Harrison.  Still requires a good play from the defense.  It didn't work, and won't most of the time, but Harrison also won't get a hit most of the time.  

You do have to know your players though.  Austin Hayes is 2nd in the league in assists this year and Sheets is just damn slow.  It is Super Joe's job to know both of those things and act accordingly.

Also, how dare you cast aspersions on Big Energy after all he has meant to this team in the last week.  :cool:

• Like 1

Yesterday was a weird game. Sox had 9 hits, 4 doubles 3 walks. Seemed like every time I looked up some Oriole OF was racing into the gap or toward the line making some outstanding catches .  Vaughn  hit one off the wall that was a single. Maybe did it twice or maybe that was another game. How many balls did the Sox hit to the wall or shots tracked down into the gap ?

Today we see some of those go over the wall .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 hours ago, whitesoxwin said:

I sure hope you are right about the start of a 3 game winning streak but after last night's pitiful debacle it's clear that the White Sox are going to have a hard time even splitting the series. Fans will continue to cuss and complain and voice their displeasure and be angry about Chicago's pathetic showing this season but without some major changes forthcoming it's going to be more of the same if you ask me. How can a team with so much promise and talent go out on the field and play so inconsistent and incompetent baseball? Yes, a new manager would be a start but at some point the White Sox players have to be held accountable for their part so far in this season's performance and results. Upper management has failed as well and definitely has their share of blame to own. With all that said, I don't have the answers to what needs to be fixed but I'll continue to support the team like always but with much lower expectations going forward. I've certainly not given up completely on the season but so far there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of positives or promise that the White Sox can start clicking on all cylinders and turn this mediocre mess into a winner.

Could not have said it better....and...these injuries this season...(I know..all teams have em , part of the game,..etc) ...but you gotta be fkn kidding me ...never seen anything like it....devastating 

4 hours ago, whitesoxwin said:

The problem is they are missing so many cylinders or they are corroded. Everyone is injured or playing through injuries You get TA back but he can't run full speed and Engel, Mendick, Moncada go out. Abreu and Robert limping around. Eloy who knows when he'll be back. He's still hitting singles in the minors. Vaughn supposedly isn't 100% . Burger and Harrison dealing with recent HBP ouchies. Giolito and Robert both had Covid. Leury just came back after some time off.

"He just didn't look competitive enough in his two players appearances yesterday.  Let him observe the speed of the game from the dugout for awhile first."

But we must invariably hit Gavin Sheets 5th or 6th for the next two weeks because of his performance (well, except for slower sprint speed to home than Konerko) yesterday.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, foxaparicio said:

Could not have said it better....and...these injuries this season...(I know..all teams have em , part of the game,..etc) ...but you gotta be fkn kidding me ...never seen anything like it....devastating 

Valid point for sure.

It jsut feels like there is so much internal strife in this organization.  Tony clearly didn't want Sosa on the roster, so this is he way of showing the FO he's in charge.  Its all so silly.  

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

52 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The problem is they are missing so many cylinders or they are corroded. Everyone is injured or playing through injuries You get TA back but he can't run full speed and Engel, Mendick, Moncada go out. Abreu and Robert limping around. Eloy who knows when he'll be back. He's still hitting singles in the minors. Vaughn supposedly isn't 100% . Burger and Harrison dealing with recent HBP ouchies. Giolito and Robert both had Covid. Leury just came back after some time off.

Agree. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

It jsut feels like there is so much internal strife in this organization.  Tony clearly didn't want Sosa on the roster, so this is he way of showing the FO he's in charge.  Its all so silly.  

Professionally piss poor run organization from the top down

• Like 1