Baseball America: Colson Montgomery #38 on Top 100 Update

bmags

Holy smokes

Skinny: While Montgomery wasnt ranked among the “big four” shortstops in the 2021 high school draft class he’s been very productive over the first half of the season. Montgomery possesses plus bat-to-ball skills and approach, as well as blossoming power—his max exit velocity in 2022 is over 112 mph.

• Like 4
  • Fire 5

I really like getting that Exit velocity data. I think a concern was even though he was walking early on, his hits didn't have that pop that Kath's did. But that has started to change, and I think his power is still sneaky just because of his body type and levers.

So we have this plus a very positive review from law on Colson's defense. Exit velo and defense is one of the harder stuff to gauge as fans in this forum so I'm pretty happy.

• Like 2

I have to say this is really nice. When was the last draft pick that was actually a riser? Collins sniffed the top 100. Rodon/Madrigal/Vaughn just kinda maintained their draft value placement. Fulmer fell.

Guys like Semien broke into that back 20 and that's where a lot have sat. 

This feels completely foreign.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

That's a great nugget about his max EV. 112 gives him plus raw power just from an EV perspective. 112 would put him in the 83rd percent tile amongst major leaguers, ahead of guys like Votto, Jose Ramirez, JD Martinez, Torkelson, Abreu, etc. Knowing he already has plus raw power in his toolbox and will likely get stronger as he gets older makes him that much more exciting as a prospect.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Colas can't be that far outside of top 100s, can he?  Have to imagine a good 2nd half for him along with graduations and he'll be in most top 100s by seasons end.  

Assuming he’s promoted for the second half and hits in AA, then I’d wager large money he’ll be a top 100 prospect at a few places.  

And I still think Ramos can sneak in somewhere, probably Fangraphs given they already had him as our #1 prospect.  Kid has maintained his walk rate while also improving his K rate & ISO as a legit 20 year old in High A.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 11:13 AM, SouthSideRock said:

What do we think is Montgomery's floor/ceiling at this point?

Corey Seager was the popular draft comp. Seems like a reasonable ceiling, although Colson might have better OBP numbers than Seager. Top 5 MLB SS is definitely possible at this point.

Floor? Idk. He COULD flame out at AA, I suppose. Not sure who a good name to attach to Colson for a floor. I guess the floor profile for him would be an average MLB defensive shortstop who can draw walks but never develops much power.

2 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Corey Seager was the popular draft comp. Seems like a reasonable ceiling, although Colson might have better OBP numbers than Seager. Top 5 MLB SS is definitely possible at this point.

Floor? Idk. He COULD flame out at AA, I suppose. Not sure who a good name to attach to Colson for a floor. I guess the floor profile for him would be an average MLB defensive shortstop who can draw walks but never develops much power.

Floor is probably 3B and backup SS that doesn't really have enough pop to be anything more than a 1-2 WAR player that is a part time starter. Ceiling probably legit MLB SS with enough power and a Semian like profile so 5-7 WAR All-Star type. Pretty big range of outcomes still for a guy at his level. Still, a helluva draft pick and have to give the scouting team credit they nailed this one. Now it's up to the coaches and Colson to make the most of his talent.

There’s no reason at all for Hahn to be messing with our best prospects. That’s just lazy.  The second Montgomery gets out of this organization he’ll be at top 20; Not because of some superior development plan, but because the White Sox do not hype their prospects, whether by choice, or whether they just simply don’t know what they have.

Edited by GreenSox

On 7/11/2022 at 9:00 PM, SoCalChiSox said:

Please don't ship him off at the deadline. The team is done. Sell...don't buy. Keep ALL young left handed savages.

A left handed legit SS with mega OBP skills and burgeoning power has mind boggling value. 

I'll be the oddball here since so many including myself love Montgomery but if he headlines a deal that gets the Sox Soto for 2.5 yrs., I'd be thrilled depending on who else goes.

But no worries, odds of that happening are practically nil.

• Like 1