Benintendi to NYY

Jack Parkman

It saddens me that @ChiliIrishHammock24 refuses to acknowledge his previous position as the official nicknamer of Soxtalk. He won't even acknowledge some of his past nickname gems. Please, return to us and reclaim your title as the Soxtalk nicknamer! Whether you know it or not, you inspired me in creating nicknames for Bulls players on a different forum. 

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Again to reiterate my previous point on Gallo vs RHP.

• 2019 to 2021 w/ TEX: 122 wRC+
  • Away splits w/ NYY: 123 wRC+
  • Home splits w/ NYY: 92 wRC+

Maybe playing in New York is a problem, maybe it’s not, but if the cost is a song I feel it’s a gamble worth taking.  Additionally, let’s not ignore his 28 defensive runs saved in RF since 2019, which 4th overall amongst RFs and even more impressive on a per innings basis.  He’s far from a perfect player even when things are going right, but we desperately need power from the LH side and better defense in RF and he might be able to address both on the cheap.

let’s also note that he was a +15 DRS OF in 2021 but is a -2 DRS of in 2022. It is also fair to note that he’s been a positive RF and strongly negative LF, but the strong defense isn’t as clear cut as it was this time last year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Are you trying to say that Giolito has the autoimmune disease Lupus? 

"While there's no cure for lupus, current treatments focus on improving quality of life through controlling symptoms and minimizing flare-ups. This begins with lifestyle modifications, including sun protection and diet. Further disease management includes medications, such as anti-inflammatories and steroids."

Hmmm, maybe you're on to something here. We can use this as an excuse to get Giolito on the juice. Genius!

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

All because he strikes out a fuck-ton.  I didn’t peg you as an only batting average matters type of guy.

It's because that is really all he does man.  We have a glove first outfielder.  

Again, the guy absolutely sucks in a stadium tailor made for LHH to feast, on one of the top 3 offenses in the league, spending considerable time batting around Judge and Stanton.  3 hits in the last two weeks to go along with 11 K and 5 walks.  Super happy he got those two homers though I guess 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

let’s also note that he was a +15 DRS OF in 2021 but is a -2 DRS of in 2022. It is also fair to note that he’s been a positive RF and strongly negative LF, but the strong defense isn’t as clear cut as it was this time last year.

Defensive metrics aren’t usually predictive without a larger sample of data, so I’m not sure I’d automatically assume his plus RF defense has fallen off.  Could just be a bad little stretch that has no bearing on future exceptions.

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Defensive metrics aren’t usually predictive without a larger sample of data, so I’m not sure I’d automatically assume his plus RF defense has fallen off.  Could just be a bad little stretch that has no bearing on future exceptions.

I agree in principle, but a guy who has physically fallen off over the course of a year will show the same pattern as a guy who had a bad stretch. Given that at the same time his other elite skill, exit velocity, has fallen completely apart and taken a bigger drop than Moncada, it’s at least worth discussing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I agree in principle, but a guy who has physically fallen off over the course of a year will show the same pattern as a guy who had a bad stretch. Given that at the same time his other elite skill, exit velocity, has fallen completely apart and taken a bigger drop than Moncada, it’s at least worth discussing.

Any idea how to pull exit velocity splits?

23 hours ago, chw42 said:

Doesn't look like they gave up a whole lot. 

Why couldn’t we compete for Benintendi?  He is the one needed to get us over the top.  White Sox are a big market team acting like a small market team when these opportunities arise.  We might as well go after Gallo then, as he is now more expendable and we could possibly get a better deal.  We desperately need a lefty power hitting outfielder.  It is our #1 priority by far.  Pull the trigger Hahn.

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Why couldn’t we compete for Benintendi?  He is the one needed to get us over the top.  White Sox are a big market team acting like a small market team when these opportunities arise.  We might as well go after Gallo then, as he is now more expendable and we could possibly get a better deal.  We desperately need a lefty power hitting outfielder.  It is our #1 priority by far.  Pull the trigger Hahn.

We don’t need another LF though, we need someone who can handle RF.  He also doesn’t hit for much power, which is also important if we add.

4 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Curious, why wouldn't you look at his home ballpark, the best left-handed hitting park in the league?

His numbers are horrible at home and great away from Yankee Stadium, so trying to understand if the exit velocity decline is consistent for both if it’s worse at Yankee Stadium for whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

His numbers are horrible at home and great away from Yankee Stadium, so trying to understand if the exit velocity decline is consistent for both if it’s worse at Yankee Stadium for whatever reason.

I guess it’s hard for some people to perform when they’re getting relentlessly booed nonstop.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It looks like his OPS away from Yankee Stadium this year is .719. He has 8 home runs on the road, but 10 extra base hits on the road and 7 at home - so a couple of balls leaving the yard and a tiny difference in his very weak BABIP are the main factors. I sure wouldn’t call that “great” away from Yankee Stadium.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It looks like his OPS away from Yankee Stadium this year is .719. He has 8 home runs on the road, but 10 extra base hits on the road and 7 at home - so a couple of balls leaving the yard and a tiny difference in his very weak BABIP are the main factors. I sure wouldn’t call that “great” away from Yankee Stadium.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:23 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

Again to reiterate my previous point on Gallo vs RHP.

• 2019 to 2021 w/ TEX: 122 wRC+
  • Away splits w/ NYY: 123 wRC+
  • Home splits w/ NYY: 92 wRC+

Maybe playing in New York is a problem, maybe it’s not, but if the cost is a song I feel it’s a gamble worth taking.  Additionally, let’s not ignore his 28 defensive runs saved in RF since 2019, which 4th overall amongst RFs and even more impressive on a per innings basis.  He’s far from a perfect player even when things are going right, but we desperately need power from the LH side and better defense in RF and he might be able to address both on the cheap.

123 wRC+ against RHP is pretty good

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:30 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

As one of the few “trade for Gallo” fans here, take a look at these splits vs RHP:

• Home: 11.8% BB rate, 31.2% K rate, .171 ISO, .204 BABIP, 76 wRC+
  • Away: 18.3% BB rate, 35.8% K rate, .270 ISO, .233 BABIP, 129 wRC+

If more impactful players can’t be acquired without decimating the farm system, I’d 100% take a chance on Gallo possibly returning to form by simply leaving NY.  Dude is streaky as hell and if he can somehow get hot come October he could possibly carry the team.  Assuming the cost is basically nothing, he’s definitely a guy I’d take gamble on.

I always like how you support your arguments and preface it with if more impactful players can't be acquired .

• Thanks 1

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I always like how you support your arguments and preface it with if more impactful players can't be acquired .

Don’t get me wrong, adding someone like Gallo isn’t ideal, but it would be better than doing nothing for RF and that’s exactly what we did last trade deadline.

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Don’t get me wrong, adding someone like Gallo isn’t ideal, but it would be better than doing nothing for RF and that’s exactly what we did last trade deadline.

I don't want Gallo just personal preference. And the need for even 2 LH bats is considerable. Which is why I've been saying Happ and Wendle and also not against keeping a very close eye on Colas. If he keeps performing and can be brought up around Sept. 12 now you have Happ in LF , Robert in CF ,Colas with his defense and arm in RF and Wendle the strong side of a platoon with Harrison. I think 3 extras left handed bats could be a huge improvement if you also get Moncada and Grandal hitting and taking walks in the 2nd half.

Compare it to the LH bats and defense in the 1st half. Leury, Sheets, McGuire, bad Moncada/bad Grandal.