GT 8/3: Outfielders? We don't need no stinking outfielders!

Launch angel is overrated..........The White Sox offense looked lethargic in the second game. Going into the last inning, the Yankees led 4-2, and it appeared the Sox were going to settle for a split. However, they put on two runners with one out in the bottom of the ninth. And who comes out of the dugout to pinch-hit? Not bad Richie Allen, but good Dick Allen.

Comiskey Park went wild, but Allen calmly strolled up to the plate apparently unmoved by all the excitement. On the second pitch from reliever Sparky Lyle, Allen once more used that down-cutting swing of his and sent a vicious line drive to left.

Sitting down the left field line, I picked up the ball just as it went a little over the shortstop’s head. At first, I thought it was one of those hard-hit balls that are caught by the outfielder. But the ball kept rising. It remained on a line, but it rose. Left fielder Roy White wasn’t coming in, he was drifting back. Once at the wall, White had a totally frustrated look as he watched the drive zip into the seats for a game-winning, three-run homer.

When was there a more exciting moment at Comiskey Park in recent memory? A fan would have to think about it. And when had a White Sox hitter demonstrated power like Allen? It is safe to say: Never.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

See I actually don't think that. 

From personal experience, pressing and caring too much often has the same appearance as not caring/being lazy to outsiders. 

I remember someone (I think Hahn?) saying Moncada tried persuading the Sox to let him try and play through the oblique injury that he started the season on the IL for. The guy looked like he was dying running the bases during 2020 and never went on the IL. What's lazy to me is the narrative that he doesn't care. I wish he was playing better, but I don't see it as an effort problem at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I remember someone (I think Hahn?) saying Moncada tried persuading the Sox to let him try and play through the oblique injury that he started the season on the IL for. The guy looked like he was dying running the bases during 2020 and never went on the IL. What's lazy to me is the narrative that he doesn't care. I wish he was playing better, but I don't see it as an effort problem at all.

I don’t think laziness is the cause of his struggles.  It’s a symptom, not a cause.

1 minute ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Launch angel is overrated..........The White Sox offense looked lethargic in the second game. Going into the last inning, the Yankees led 4-2, and it appeared the Sox were going to settle for a split. However, they put on two runners with one out in the bottom of the ninth. And who comes out of the dugout to pinch-hit? Not bad Richie Allen, but good Dick Allen.

Comiskey Park went wild, but Allen calmly strolled up to the plate apparently unmoved by all the excitement. On the second pitch from reliever Sparky Lyle, Allen once more used that down-cutting swing of his and sent a vicious line drive to left.

Sitting down the left field line, I picked up the ball just as it went a little over the shortstop’s head. At first, I thought it was one of those hard-hit balls that are caught by the outfielder. But the ball kept rising. It remained on a line, but it rose. Left fielder Roy White wasn’t coming in, he was drifting back. Once at the wall, White had a totally frustrated look as he watched the drive zip into the seats for a game-winning, three-run homer.

When was there a more exciting moment at Comiskey Park in recent memory? A fan would have to think about it. And when had a White Sox hitter demonstrated power like Allen? It is safe to say: Never.

I'll never forget that.  I remember watching that as it occurred.  Dick Allen was the most exciting player I ever saw.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

When expectations are high , no matter who it is , no one is spared, especially high priced talent expected to be something they haven't become.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Lifeless AB after lifeless AB from him

Bring Burger up.  Start him at 3B.  Let Yoan come in late in the game for defense.  When Yoan starts hitting again gradually increase his playing time.  If he's gets back to what he's supposed to be Moncada wins his starting job back and everyone is happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1