White Sox vs. Orioles 8/23 6:05 CDT (Cease vs. Voth)

Bob Sacamano

Just now, Chick Mercedes said:

This stuff about Moncada and Covid is so funny. Like fans would rather believe in Covid than face the idea that he might just not be that good.

They play dumb, lazy baseball. Have played that way since first game of this season. Never has a situation been more obvious that a managerial change was needed.

• Like 4
  • TLR 1

18 minutes ago, wegner said:

Ozzie just said no it is not bad that they keep not getting the big hit....it is boring.

How the crap do they have the 9th highest batting avg with runners in scoring position??  When??  Are they hitting like .850 against the Tigers with risp???

Even in RISP situations, hitting for an empty batting average isn't enough. You eventually need to hit for power and draw some walks to consistently score runs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

They play dumb, lazy baseball. Have played that way since first game of this season. Never has a situation been more obvious that a managerial change was needed.

Yuppers.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Even in RISP situations, hitting for an empty batting average isn't enough. You eventually need to hit for power and draw some walks to consistently score runs.

Especially if you can’t score from second on a single because you’re slow or hurt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

This stuff about Moncada and Covid is so funny. Like fans would rather believe in Covid than face the idea that he might just not be that good.

People don't like Moncada even when he's going well, but was still fine in 2020 and a very good player last year. This year he's fallen off a cliff. He can obviously still be a very productive player but it's not happening right now for whatever reason.

24 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

You do have to admit that going from elite exit velocity to bottom of the league in like two years is somewhat uncommon.

13 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

People don't like Moncada even when he's going well, but was still fine in 2020 and a very good player last year. This year he's fallen off a cliff. He can obviously still be a very productive player but it's not happening right now for whatever reason.

He was a good player last year. Very good is a stretch. Fielding very good, hitting you could say he was very good too but I'm not convinced while an OBP of .375 is very good when you combine it with only a .412 slugging and .148 ISO . His ISO has dropped every year lower and lower since the high point of 2019. His hit tool hasn't been good except 2019.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He was a good player last year. Very good is a stretch. Fielding very good, hitting you could say he was very good too but I'm not convinced while an OBP of .375 is very good when you combine it with only a .412 slugging and .148 ISO . His ISO has dropped every year lower and lower since the high point of 2019. His hit tool hasn't been good except 2019.

I guess at that point we're getting into semantics. He was a 4 win player last year. Finished 3rd in the AL in OBP, he had a 120 wRC+, played a ton, and we know his defense is excellent. Whether you want to say that's good, very good, I don't know. It's all subjective at that point.

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I guess at that point we're getting into semantics. He was a 4 win player last year. Finished 3rd in the AL in OBP, he had a 120 wRC+, played a ton, and we know his defense is excellent. Whether you want to say that's good, very good, I don't know. It's all subjective at that point.

It's basically my objection with how WAR places a bit too much emphasis on walks and fielding. I believe slugging percentage is a better indicator of hitting ability.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's basically my objection with how WAR places a bit too much emphasis on walks and fielding. I believe slugging percentage is a better indicator of hitting ability.

You've watched the White Sox struggle this year and think walks and good defense are less valuable than WAR suggests? They aren't as flashy as hitting for a high average or power, but I've never read *anything* to support that being true.

edit - I should have mentioned that all evidence I've read suggests 1 pt of OBP is worth more than 1 pt of slug. That's why stats like wOBA/wRC+ are better at reflecting offensive value than OPS/OPS+ which weights OBP and SLG equally.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

You've watched the White Sox struggle this year and think walks and good defense are less valuable than WAR suggests? They aren't as flashy as hitting for a high average or power, but I've never read *anything* to support that being true.

edit - I probably should have mentioned that all available evidence supports the notion that 1 pt of OBP is worth more than 1 pt of slug. That's why stats like wOBA/wRC+ are better at reflecting offensive value than OPS/OPS+ which weights OBP and SLG equally.

I've watched them being bad at OBP and slugging this year but a few more HR's and extra base hits would be better than a few more walks. They have the most singles in the league by far but it's not translating to runs . More walks with those singles would mean some runs here and there but more HR's and extra base hits drive in more runs.

Big innings happen with extra base hits. Throw 2 walks and 2 singles with a DP in between doesn't get you much with a bunch of base cloggers.1 walk 2 singles a DP plus a HR gets you more assuming the inning doesn't end on a DP.

• Like 1

• Quin unpinned and locked this topic