The White Sox cannot be fixed by next season

VAfan

3 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

If Tony is gone the Sox will win 110 games and sweep the playoffs. Or so I was told.

No you weren’t. You’re just a shitty troll with a shtick that has been called out multiple times. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 6

A whole bunch of well-paid veterans had shitty years and/or injuries. What we don't know right now is whether TLR sucked the life out of them, the lockout fucked them up, some combination of both, or whether they've just gotten worse.

If out of Moncada, Jimenez, Robert, Anderson, and Grandal, at least 3-4 of them stay healthy and perform like they have in the past, then this team is absolutely fixable in one offseason. You need two lefty bats, at least one of which is an average or better RF. You need one starting pitcher and one solid reliever. I think all of them except Grandal have bounce back years next year. I think Grandal is cooked as a hitter but he's still a serviceable catcher so you just platoon him with Zavala.

If you don't get rebounds out of the key guys, then no, you can't fix this team anytime soon. You can't win continuing to play them, and you don't have the money to replace them all.

• Hawk 1

I’ll play…

Let go Abreu…. Oh wait…. This is really hard. OP is probably right.

Manager - Ciro

SS - Anderson / Elvis / Popeye / Mendick

LF - Conforto / Pollock

1B - Vaughn / Sheets

DH - Eloy

CF - Robert / Pollock

2B - Elvis / Popeye / Mendick

C - Grandal / Narvaez

RF - Colas / Pollock

3B - Moncada

Starting Pitchers

Cease / Lynn / Quintana / Kopech / Martin 

Pen

Giolito ( Long man / 6th starter )

Kelly

Lambert

Lopez

Bummer

Graveman

Hendricks

Not sure what the salary is and it’s probably not even possible to get rid of Garcia and to a smaller extent, Diekman. 

So yea… probably not possible but if that team can stay healthy I’d sign off. Fixes all of the problems I had with the last offseason and is really similar to the one I wanted this year. 

Here’s a quicker request: Sell the team.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Not sure what the salary is and it’s probably not even possible to get rid of Garcia and to a smaller extent, Diekman. 

Leury 100% can't be on this team next year. He's a waste of a roster spot at this point. If someone's willing to take on even 20% of his salary, you trade him, otherwise you DFA him.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

so your analysis of the entire white sox chances to be fixed covers 5 guys?

I agree with all five of @VAfan's positional analysis. At least he covered 2B (agree FA pickings slim this offseason), something Hahn has failed to do.

The Sox were fixable last offseason (Fire Tony, Hahn, FO. Swap out older players for youth. Improve analytics (defense, shifting & hitting approach).

The Sox are fixable this offseason. (Fire Tony, Hahn, FO. Swap out older players for youth. Improve analytics (defense shifting & hitting approach). 

The Sox have several solid to great young players, and a half dozen veterans who could put together good to great seasons. If they bring in a savvy FO and manager/coaching staff, they can reverse the La Russa curse, and even overcome the disadvantage of facing a much harder road next season (losing 24 games vs. the AL Central (76 to 52)).

They must begin construction of a new organization successful at selection, development and promotion of young players on a consistent basis, while also assessing internal and external major league talent. While that may take a few years to come to fruition, in the interim the FO can make a few trades and FA pickups to address current shortfalls, build depth, and move a few players you feel won't contribute / aren't good team players.

Solid Core 2023 & Beyond - Italics = Not on 40 Man Roster.

• Batters: Oscar Colas, Eloy Jimenez, Yoan Moncada, Luis Robert, Andrew Vaughn.
  • Pitchers: Aaron Bummer, Dylan Cease, Garrett Crochet, Michael Kopech, Reynaldo Lopez.

Potential Solid Young Contributors: Jake Burger, Romy Gonzalez, Jimmy Lambert, Davis Martin, Cristian Mena, Colson Montgomery, Bryan Ramos, Lenyn Sosa, Norge Vera.

Veterans who can contribute here and/or via trade return: FA Jose Abreu, Tim Anderson, FA Johnny Cueto, Lucas Giolito, Kendall Graveman, Liam Hendricks, Lance Lynn, Seby Zavala.

Veterans hoping to salvage or DFA: Jake Diekman, Matt Foster, Leury Garcia, Yasmani Grandal, Joe Kelly, AJ Pollock.

Veterans who they should trade/release after the season: Elvis Andrus, Adam Engel, Josh Harrison, Carlos Ruiz, Bennet Sousa, Gavin Sheets, Vince Velasquez.

That's all I have without knowing who remains in Sox management, who they tender / non tender before the offseason, and which FAs are available.

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Maybe if you were a Universal Moderator I'd care more about what you think of me. But you're only a Global Moderator. 

I'm sure your mom still thinks you're a good boy though.

Lmao please tell us about the hierarchy and what it all means

4 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Maybe if you were a Universal Moderator I'd care more about what you think of me. But you're only a Global Moderator. 

I'm sure your mom still thinks you're a good boy though.

My mom died 9 years ago, but pretty sure she loved me. 

But that doesn’t change the fact you’re a weak-skinned troll that loves to drop in threads and keep up this crusade defending LaRussa, and when someone calls you out, you can’t handle it. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

The Soxtalk moderator/admin hierarchy is an exclusive club of elites. I won't even pretend like I understand the nuances of such a respected system. I am but a mere peasant in comparison.

I dunno you seemed to understand the nuances two posts ago when you decided you don’t have to worry about a lowly global mod lmao

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

My mom died 9 years ago, but pretty sure she loved me. 

But that doesn’t change the fact you’re a weak-skinned troll that loves to drop in threads and keep up this crusade defending LaRussa, and when someone calls you out, you can’t handle it. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure she was a fine woman.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Counting IL days doesn’t really tell the whole story though. Sox lost several key players for long stretches and have had guys return and be not close to themselves, play thru it, etc. Sox got smoked by injury this year. The only two key players who didn’t spend time on the IL were Jose and Cease and all the rest spent time on the shelf, and several significant. Every team dealt with an uptick in injuries this year that may be correlated the short ST. I don’t think Sox are going to suddenly become the healthiest team in the league, but would hope the injuries are less concentrated on the best players on the roster. 

It hasn't just been this season. It's basically been since 2016 seemingly escalating over time, a few years ago they had on the IL nine pitchers at one time.