Mark Gonzales wonders what is next?...

Lip Man 1

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

I would much rather go through another rebuild than endure another s%*# season like 2022 is/was. At least during a rebuild you have hope for the future. The 2022 season was by far the worst I've ever experienced.

Problem is with the current front office I'd have no hope in a rebuild. It'd just be more bad baseball but cheaper.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hahn is so bad he has roughly 1/2 the fan base advocating for a third rebuild as this competitive window was so uniquely disappointing.

Not even the Indians/Guardians pulled the plug so quickly.

The Guardians tried to pull the plug at the trade deadline, but Terry Francona had his team prepared to play every game with a hustling defensive orientated ball club who knows how to play situational baseball.   Example, 1 out man on third, Jose Ramirez up to bat.  Instead of trying to kill the ball, Jose sticks his bat out and lofts a fly ball to right field for an out to score the runner on third with the go ahead run. He did this more than once to the White sox and the team in general was always hustling out of the batters box while they Sox were saving their energy on their Managers orders for the postseason that never happened.

• TLR 1

23 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s not time for another rebuild. Replace the manager, coaching staff, figure out if Abreu is coming back and if so, break up the logjam and sign an actual OF. Shed whatever bad money you can (probably none of it but gotta try).

Folks should be fired for signing Grandal. Folks should be fired for acquiring Moncada. Folks should be fired for acquiring Keuchel and Kelly and many other lousy pitchers on the roster. Also folks should be fired for signing Pollock and Harrison. Horrible.

• Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, chetkincaid said:

I would much rather go through another rebuild than endure another s%*# season like 2022 is/was. At least during a rebuild you have hope for the future. The 2022 season was by far the worst I've ever experienced.

Those who hate me on this board won't have me around anymore if they do another rebuild. That's when I sadly quit baseball. If they start trying to lose again, I'm done with the sport.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

The Guardians tried to pull the plug at the trade deadline, but Terry Francona had his team prepared to play every game with a hustling defensive orientated ball club who knows how to play situational baseball.   Example, 1 out man on third, Jose Ramirez up to bat.  Instead of trying to kill the ball, Jose sticks his bat out and lofts a fly ball to right field for an out to score the runner on third with the go ahead run. He did this more than once to the White sox and the team in general was always hustling out of the batters box while they Sox were saving their energy on their Managers orders for the postseason that never happened.

They traded Sandy Leon to their rival the Twins.

They traded LHP Alex Young to the Giants.

They even looked at dealing Plesac and Civale.

No additions of any kind.

This was supposed to be their season just to get to .500 and above, like 2013 for the Royals.   

Already arrived.

18 hours ago, Tony said:

The answer is "It doesn't matter" 

If the fans had 1% of say in anything White Sox related, Rick, Kenny and Jerry would have been out of here literally decades ago. 

Fans will bend over and take what the White Sox choose to give them. Don't like it? Don't need ya.

And you better stay out of White Sox business. 

That right there is it...

2 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

I didn't realize Mark Gonzales was back here.  When did that happen?  He cared about the Sox until the Tribune switched him to the Cubs and gave us a rotating cast of semi-competents.  Not the current guy; he's OK.

Gonzo is the swing man covering baseball at the Sun-Times now, also did some work for the Daily herald. With the Sun-Times he covers both the Sox and Cubs usually on the weekends.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Folks should be fired for signing Grandal. Folks should be fired for acquiring Moncada. Folks should be fired for acquiring Keuchel and Kelly and many other lousy pitchers on the roster. Also folks should be fired for signing Pollock and Harrison. Horrible.

The fanbase was onboard with that signing.   The problem was how pathetic the team was at catcher when you had a Zack Collins as the future.

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Hahn is so bad he has roughly 1/2 the fan base advocating for a third rebuild as this competitive window was so uniquely disappointing.

Not even the Indians/Guardians pulled the plug so quickly.

Half of the fan base wanting a rebuild is a stretch. Even if a rebuild was in order, how would they shed these contracts instead of DFAing players like Grandal and Garcia? Why can’t people give the team one more year before advocating for a rebuild? I just don’t understand the possibility of a path towards a rebuild with this team.

22 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Half of the fan base wanting a rebuild is a stretch. Even if a rebuild was in order, how would they shed these contracts instead of DFAing players like Grandal and Garcia? Why can’t people give the team one more year before advocating for a rebuild? I just don’t understand the possibility of a path towards a rebuild with this team.

There is a 0% chance the Sox strip this down and rebuild. It’s not worth discussing. 

38 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Then those calling for it on this board need to get that through their frustrated heads.

Here’s a hard one. What if they have to drop the payroll to $170 million? That would still be a huge number for this franchise, and there’s no easy path to doing that without dropping something they can’t replace.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Here’s a hard one. What if they have to drop the payroll to $170 million? That would still be a huge number for this franchise, and there’s no easy path to doing that without dropping something they can’t replace.

We’re fucked.

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Its not going to drop to $170M.  What happens if the entire Sox team suddenly all pass away this offseason?  Then what!?!  

Is $170M going to be this off-season's version of your argument last offseason that the luxury tax won't increase above $210M that you stated everyday all last offseason as if it was fact? 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

46 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its not going to drop to $170M.  What happens if the entire Sox team suddenly all pass away this offseason?  Then what!?!  

Is $170M going to be this off-season's version of your argument last offseason that the luxury tax won't increase above $210M that you stated everyday all last offseason as if it was fact? 

At this time last year you were still writing plans about how to make this work if the payroll was $175 because you didn’t know if it would go higher. How are you that confident about their budget for next year? What do you know that gives you that certainly? A payroll cut of 12% following a season where revenue and performance on the field disappointed isn’t unheard of with this franchise. How are you that confident? 

12 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If they are going to drop the payroll, they might as well blow it all up.  They either need to go in, or get out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

If they are going to drop the payroll, they might as well blow it all up.  They either need to go in, or get out.

If it were me I would try to keep the payroll flat for 1 more year with the knowledge that a playoff miss in '23 means blowing it all up...but that's really easy to type.

From the perspective of the ownership group - they definitely made a fortune in 18-19, had an actual legit loss in 2020 although it was smaller than the one Reinsdorf claimed, turned a small profit in '21 but a portion of that probably went into covering the losses in 2020 and there were also still attendance restrictions for the first 1/3 of the year. At best they're probably breaking even in 2022 thanks in part to tickets sold based on the 2021 playoff run (although they may have some actual losses with a payroll this high).

Without the ticket and ad sale support of having been a playoff team, 2023 starting with the same payroll as 2022 seems to have a good chance of starting in the red - losing money on paper without revenue growth.

I know the other owners don't have control, but going from 2020 to 2023 without any actual profits returned to any of the owners? They aren't going to be thrilled about that concept.