White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

29 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Just got back from the Hawks OT win  and see 500 posts today. Can anyone tell me what the hell happened? I got an SI update we were signing Espada. Now we're not.  WTF happened?!? 

The above tweet was posted and there was excitement.  Then the no-names on twitter claiming to have sources shot it down.  Tweets about Ozzie getting an interview came out later.   Some are now convinced it won’t be Espada.  But nothing of substance actually happened.  We still don’t actually know much of anything beyond a few names reportedly being interviewed. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t believe for a second they’d hire Guillen, but if they did I might have to take an extended break from the White Sox until Jerry’s reign is over.

If they hire Ozzie after the TLR f*** up I’m done.  Out of town baseball fan until the White Sox are in competent hands.  If that ever happens…

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

27 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The above tweet was posted and there was excitement.  Then the no-names on twitter claiming to have sources shot it down.  Tweets about Ozzie getting an interview came out later.   Some are now convinced it won’t be Espada.  But nothing of substance actually happened.  We still don’t actually know much of anything beyond a few names reportedly being interviewed. 

Thank you for the clarification. So the Twitterverse is out of control...... I'm shocked! Seriously, I am surprised Sports Illustrated ran with it if they didn't double source it. So essentially nothing really happened today? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Thank you for the clarification. So the Twitterverse is out of control...... I'm shocked! Seriously, I am surprised Sports Illustrated ran with it if they didn't double source it. So essentially nothing really happened today? 

About the only thing that seems worth while is a couple of the more historically reliable Twitter sources hesitated for a bit and then said “no absolutely not it won’t be Espada” and the NBC Chicago shared immediately that Ozzie was up for an interview next week. There are plenty of ways to read this, but there might be good reason to think Espada is ruled out.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

There are plenty of ways to read this, but there might be good reason to think Espada is ruled out.

Another way would be: they’re trying to squash this until the playoffs are over so it’s not a focus.

Knowing this fucking organization - uh… they don’t have my trust.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t believe for a second they’d hire Guillen, but if they did I might have to take an extended break from the White Sox until Jerry’s reign is over.

I didn’t believe for a second they would hire LaRussa either when he got an interview. It was like one of those “that’s cute they’re doing a favor” things that quickly turned into a “wait wtf is going on here” thing. 

I didn’t think Ozzie had a chance, mainly because they said he wouldn’t now all of the sudden he’s getting an interview? Wtf is going on here, again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Anyone think Hahn leaked this basically indicating this is who he wants but Reinsdorf is overruling him again like the Hinch/TLR thing?

JR is the only one who matters, and Ozzie can sit down and spew enough bullshit to convince that man he deserves chance number two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxAce said:

Anyone think Hahn leaked this basically indicating this is who he wants but Reinsdorf is overruling him again like the Hinch/TLR thing?

Certainly possible considering these asshats.

• TLR 1

I’m not gonna lie… I don’t hate the idea of Ozzie…

Much rather would prefer about 4 or 5 other folks but I could manipulate my mind into getting behind it.

On one hand it would be a disappointment for sure but…. I like he has rapport with the players, he had his moments with us before shitting the bed…. And I think the potential for him having something to prove would go along with the players also having something to prove.

He did a good job of demanding players play hard… I’m pretty sure he speaks Spanish even.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Unless Espada went into the corner of Hahns office and took a dump, or commented on his wife’s ass, doubt he actually did anything that literally disqualified him. Sorry to say for NorthBob.

It could be he wants too much of JRs money in the Sox opinion, . It could be he now has his heart set on getting the Astros job. He’s from Florida, maybe the Marlins job is more appealing. It could be the Sox wanted to negotiate and he said let’s hold up a while, so the Sox got butt hurt. It could be some red flag popped up. Or it could be the whole thing was fake, and he wasn’t going to be the White Sox guy all along. It’s easy to say he is who Hahn wants but Hahn is being overridden, but that’s probably not accurate.

I don’t really know. It is interesting how this guy, as Dusty Bakers bench coach, the same Dusty Baker who if you read this board over the years, and based everything on its consensus opinion, would conclude Dusty isn’t a world beater in the dugout, is now head and shoulders above everyone.  Just remember, this guy was also once a coach for a bad team. Unless he knows how to draft and develop players, he isn’t going to bring the Astros to the Southside. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SoxAce said:

No way. If he is not on board, he should quit. He did say if he felt he wasn’t the person for the job….if he keeps getting overridden, then he’s not. It’s just some made up thing where everyone sucks but Hahn. Well, the reality is, Hahn sucks just as much as JR and KW.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tony said:

That is absolutely correct. It can also make you an idiot. 

Your choice. 

Ok, I will stop posting stuff from Comiskey Footlong or any of the foodies on this board. However, I will not stop posting information on here that I feel is good for the board and that people can draw up conversations about but this will only come from credible sources such as James Fegan or James Fox for example. Sorry that I took things personal last night. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

If they hire Ozzie after the TLR f*** up I’m done.  Out of town baseball fan until the White Sox are in competent hands.  If that ever happens…

Same here.  I didn’t watch this year (got my updates here) because after supporting the rebuild I was so fed up with their incompetence last winter, but it looks like they may double down and take it to a new level.  Sheesh.

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Actually, with as secretive as they try to be, I’ve become convinced JR deliberately changes course if news gets out because he always wants to be the smartest person in the room.   I think it’s entirely possible that, at least in principle, they had decided Espada was their guy and even JR was on board.  News leaked and JR says “they think they’re smarter than me?  I’ll show them!  Rick we’re going a different way.”  That would fit being such an arrogant ass.

I'm seeing this different than you guys. KW is known to not get along with Ozzie, and Reinsdorf has publicly stated in the past that Ozzie wont be the manager here again because he burned his bridges here. So if Ozzie in the picture, to me that can only ne coming from Rick Hahn.

The Espada stuff was probably just a false media report.

3 hours ago, T R U said:

I didn’t believe for a second they would hire LaRussa either when he got an interview. It was like one of those “that’s cute they’re doing a favor” things that quickly turned into a “wait wtf is going on here” thing. 

I didn’t think Ozzie had a chance, mainly because they said he wouldn’t now all of the sudden he’s getting an interview? Wtf is going on here, again. 

I’ll be honest, I’m trying to remain optimistic here, but the fact they’re planning to give Ozzie an interview is terrifying.  Just no reason for it whatsoever given how he exited the organization last time.  If legit, it just wreaks of Reinsdorf meddling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I may be misremembering, but when they hired Ozzie the first time, nobody thought he had a chance when they announced they would interview him.

Seems they said he just blew them away in the interview is why they hired him.

Not opening a debate. I might not be remembering this correctly.

I was just shocked when they hired him the first time. Won't be the second time.

The only sense I can make out of interviewing Ozzie is getting his opinion on what he'd change with the club. Even doing that I hate bc of the circus that surrounds it. Other than that, Ozzie doesn't have any of the laid out characteristics from Hahn's presser. Last managed 10 years ago, last winning season 12 years ago, made the playoffs in two out of nine tries. Sure, he won a world series as a manager, but that was nearly 17 years ago. Not exactly "recent success" by any stretch. 

• Like 3

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic