2022 Playoffs Divisional Round

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

I watch an embarrassing amount of out of town baseball during the regular season and can't ever remember seeing it rain during a Padres game like this.

It doesn't really ever rain in San Diego. This is more rare than a snow storm in Texas. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

8~15 the final head to head season record between the two teams...

Overexposure of the Goose mascot from earlier in the series will get annoying.

Finally, Padres guaranteed at least two and as many as four more home games after going 24 years since last winning a home playoff game.

AL team unless CLE is going to be a massive favorite in the WS.

Fatal flaw in Andrew Friedman strategy…saw it with the Rays as well, with starting pitchers famously limited (see Blake Snell in 2000) and bullpens exposed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hern-ndez-blame-andrew-friedmans-064220812.html

With Buehler, May, Treinen and Kimbrel sidelined or ineffective…a lot of the weaknesses were exposed when you lack the set 7-8-9 lineup of relievers like the Padres now have going with Garcia, Suarez and Hader.

The Rays, for their part, have famously been unable to spend money for elite closers, having to rely almost completely on their farm system and reclamation projects.

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

No longer an Astros' fan? 

I just want to not think about baseball. Tough when I see a constant barrage of gear. 

I feel like Robert Neville.*

*Token obscure literary reference. 

I recall having a discussion with some here earlier this year and they were saying how big of an advantage it was to earn a top 2 seed under the new playoff format. And yet it appears we could very well only have just 1 of the top 2 seeds advance beyond the divisional round. So much for that big advantage…

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I recall having a discussion with some here earlier this year and they were saying how big of an advantage it was to earn a top 2 seed under the new playoff format. And yet it appears we could very well only have just 1 of the top 2 seeds advance beyond the divisional round. So much for that big advantage…

Really does seem like shutting things down that time of the year isn’t that beneficial for hitters’ timing…unless your pitching staff is really beaten up and needs some rest, there’s no advantage, except for the unflappable Astros’ machine.

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Really does seem like shutting things down that time of the year isn’t that beneficial for hitters’ timing…unless your pitching staff is really beaten up and needs some rest, there’s no advantage, except for the unflappable Astros’ machine.

My entire argument was based on (1) home field advantage isn’t that important in baseball and (2) baseball is a game of rhythm and routine, rest doesn’t benefit a player anywhere near a sport such as football. 

I was bummed when the Astros won, and turned it off . now, I have to watch the other games from last night . I cannot believe the Padres beat the Dodgers!!! . everyone I know, said the Dodgers were unbeatable, heh . and crazy that the Guardians got 3 in the 9th . would enjoy a Philly-Cleveland World Series . I guess it's like they say, just get in and anything can happen . wonder if we ever get back in, in my lifetime.

5 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

I was bummed when the Astros won, and turned it off . now, I have to watch the other games from last night . I cannot believe the Padres beat the Dodgers!!! . everyone I know, said the Dodgers were unbeatable, heh . and crazy that the Guardians got 3 in the 9th . would enjoy a Philly-Cleveland World Series . I guess it's like they say, just get in and anything can happen . wonder if we ever get back in, in my lifetime.

More than any sport the mantra of just get in and anything can happen holds true in baseball.