2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Got a tip from a connection of mine that Yoshinobu Yamamoto has been told he’ll be posted next offseason. If that’s true and he stays healthy, this’ll be the biggest story out of Japan since Ohtani, and one of the biggest free agent pursuits of the offseason overall. He’s very easily and clearly the best pitcher in the NPB, is coming off of two consecutive MVP seasons, and is only 24 years old. This will be every bit of a Tanaka/Daisuke/Darvish type of hype and pursuit, and he’s every bit as good as those guys. 

I really just find it unforgivable that the mlb owners saw Ohtani clamoring to come over and said “let’s try and make it harder for the best players in the world to play on our league just in case we have to pay them full price!”

Crazy player competitiveness of these guys keeps saying to go for it anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I really just find it unforgivable that the mlb owners saw Ohtani clamoring to come over and said “let’s try and make it harder for the best players in the world to play on our league just in case we have to pay them full price!”

Crazy player competitiveness of these guys keeps saying to go for it anyway.

No doubt, MLB administration over the past couple decades has acted like the purest example of everything that every fan hates about the business of sports. They truly are a movie villain-style caricature.

But I think the players are adjusting pretty quickly. I'd put a lot of money on Ohtani being the last Asian star to come to MLB before age 25, to dodge the "international amateur" spending rule. I don't think it's an accident that Yamamoto, who has been on MLB scouts' radars since he was 20, is getting posted the moment he turns 25. Also notable is that the best hitting prospect since Ichiro, Munetaka Murakami, who just had the best offensive season the NPB has seen in at least 30 years (arguably 50), just signed a three-year extension that comes with a clause that he HAS to be posted at the conclusion... when he'll just happen to be 25 years old.

11 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

No doubt, MLB administration over the past couple decades has acted like the purest example of everything that every fan hates about the business of sports. They truly are a movie villain-style caricature.

But I think the players are adjusting pretty quickly. I'd put a lot of money on Ohtani being the last Asian star to come to MLB before age 25, to dodge the "international amateur" spending rule. I don't think it's an accident that Yamamoto, who has been on MLB scouts' radars since he was 20, is getting posted the moment he turns 25. Also notable is that the best hitting prospect since Ichiro, Munetaka Murakami, who just had the best offensive season the NPB has seen in at least 30 years (arguably 50), just signed a three-year extension that comes with a clause that he HAS to be posted at the conclusion... when he'll just happen to be 25 years old.

Oh sorry I saw your post and thought he was coming over at 24

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 5:42 PM, southsider2k5 said:

1 year 700K for a guy projected to have a 110 wRC+ is a low risk low reward move. The cubs first base options last year were awful and they need some lefty bats in the lineup. Worst case this puts the Cubs 700K closer to the tax. It's not as if the bottom of the 40-man roster is crawling with talent

1 minute ago, FriendlyNorthsider said:

1 year 700K for a guy projected to have a 110 wRC+ is a low risk low reward move. The cubs first base options last year were awful and they need some lefty bats in the lineup. Worst case this puts the Cubs 700K closer to the tax. It's not as if the bottom of the 40-man roster is crawling with talent

He’s absolutely awful on defense

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

He’s absolutely awful on defense

For sure. The Cubs offense is bad enough that he'll probably play some DH against righties and Mervis will play first. I don't think the Dansby Swanson pitch included a photoshopped Eric Hosmer trying to pick one of his throws out of the dirt.

If Mervis doesnt turn into a player the decision to not extend Rizzo looks pretty bad