2023 MLB offseason signings and rumors thread

southsider2k5

23 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Marlins are one of the few franchises that are even worse than the Sox, and yet have a few WS over 25 years. I'm not entirely sure what their thought process has been over the last few years ... they've stock piled pitching talent, some that has panned out, others that have not and continue to tread water. Whats the real difference between Brian Anderson at 3B and Jean Segura with the latter costing more. 

By the way, I've said that name like 12 times this offseason .... Brian Anderson makes so much sense in my own opinion as a RF/3B until Colas comes up. He's also done LF, 1B, SS, and 2B for short, short time frames. He's not amazing but can give you .255/.340obp with some pop and a nice amount of doubles. In short, he's got a strong arm, can barrel and nice exit velocity plus take walks. 1 year and 4mm might get it done. Gives you a nice option at a few positions. Probably comparable to sheets honestly, so probably don't see a deal get done, but always thought he was a nice fit. 

I don’t even understand if they are rebuilding or competing. As soon as the ownership group decided they weren’t going to spend, they probably should sell this pitching because there is just nothing on the position player side that will prop them up.

29 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Marlins are one of the few franchises that are even worse than the Sox, and yet have a few WS over 25 years. I'm not entirely sure what their thought process has been over the last few years ... they've stock piled pitching talent, some that has panned out, others that have not and continue to tread water. Whats the real difference between Brian Anderson at 3B and Jean Segura with the latter costing more. 

By the way, I've said that name like 12 times this offseason .... Brian Anderson makes so much sense in my own opinion as a RF/3B until Colas comes up. He's also done LF, 1B, SS, and 2B for short, short time frames. He's not amazing but can give you .255/.340obp with some pop and a nice amount of doubles. In short, he's got a strong arm, can barrel and nice exit velocity plus take walks. 1 year and 4mm might get it done. Gives you a nice option at a few positions. Probably comparable to sheets honestly, so probably don't see a deal get done, but always thought he was a nice fit. 

Yeah, he'd be a solid bench option.

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t even understand if they are rebuilding or competing. As soon as the ownership group decided they weren’t going to spend, they probably should sell this pitching because there is just nothing on the position player side that will prop them up.

It's such an awful franchise. And the players they do decide to spend on make no sense. I always pick a handful of teams I like to watch besides the Sox. I've watched many more Marlins games than i care to admit (Astros, Mariners, Rays, STL too)

Soler on a 3 year deal coming off a few month hot streak with Braves was asinine, especially in that park. Avi Garcia can somewhat be defended, maybe. But end of the day when you have Sandy and Pablo at the top of your rotation + Luzardo, Eury Perez, Rogers, Edward Cabrera, Braxton Garrett, not to mention Max Meyer and Sixto Sanchez. Now it's been a mess of development on a number of those guys with big question marks on others ... but how the hell do you not trade some of that depth, especially when they still have their prospect shine to them for bats?! It's just so dumb. 

If I'm them, with the division how it is with the Mets and Braves set for the foreseeable future ... not to mention the Phillies spending and off a WS? I'm trading Sandy for the best package I can grab of like 3-4 really solid bats/prospects. You're not going to win with him in his prime, so you might as well cash in on many bats and then hopefully by the time they're ready the Soler/Avi contracts are done and you're off and running ...

Sorry for turning this into a Marlins board hahaa

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, he gone. said:

It's such an awful franchise. And the players they do decide to spend on make no sense. I always pick a handful of teams I like to watch besides the Sox. I've watched many more Marlins games than i care to admit (Astros, Mariners, Rays, STL too)

Soler on a 3 year deal coming off a few month hot streak with Braves was asinine, especially in that park. Avi Garcia can somewhat be defended, maybe. But end of the day when you have Sandy and Pablo at the top of your rotation + Luzardo, Eury Perez, Rogers, Edward Cabrera, Braxton Garrett, not to mention Max Meyer and Sixto Sanchez. Now it's been a mess of development on a number of those guys with big question marks on others ... but how the hell do you not trade some of that depth, especially when they still have their prospect shine to them for bats?! It's just so dumb. 

If I'm them, with the division how it is with the Mets and Braves set for the foreseeable future ... not to mention the Phillies spending and off a WS? I'm trading Sandy for the best package I can grab of like 3-4 really solid bats/prospects. You're not going to win with him in his prime, so you might as well cash in on many bats and then hopefully by the time they're ready the Soler/Avi contracts are done and you're off and running ...

Sorry for turning this into a Marlins board hahaa

Not to mention getting rid of the home run statue 😭

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If I were Hahn, I’d go sign Duvall to be our 4th OF and and trade for Tony Kemp to be part of a 2B platoon.  I know Tony is coming off a subpar year with the bat with some ugly underlying Statcast figures, but he’d provide solid insurance at 2B and let Romy or Sosa rest against tough RHP at a minimum.  And given the versatility of Duvall, Leury, & Romy, it seems like we could roster a bench guy who has limited flexibility (2B / LF only).

Obviously this would all be dependent on the price, but I can’t imagine that Kemp would cost all that much to acquire given he’s only got one year of control left and for the reasons mentioned above.  I think a C tier prospect would be well worth the hedge Tony would provide at 2B.  The bigger question is can we even afford to add the ~$8.5M in salary Duvall & Kemp would likely cost.

Regardless, our level of positional depth is not acceptable a the moment and Hahn better find a few pieces to help us in the event of underperformance or injury.

Kemp is not a bad idea. 1.5 fWar last year, 11 out of 12 in SB so LH speed guy gets down the line pretty quickly and should benefit from the shift and pickoff rules.

Many here like the idea of Duvall . He's not far removed from that 2021 season in which he hit 38 HR's and 113 RBI . Definitely high K guy and low OBP but as far as defense and power  he's ideal unless they want the 4th OF to also be LH.

He's 34 now and some have suggested he'd go to a place to get a starting job or more playing time. But I think he'd get plenty of PT here. He has to know what he is at this point of his career and a part time job that he could potentially get 400 PA's should suit him. I think it'll come down to who offers him the most money. Not sure that'll be the White Sox . He's there for the taking right now. Maybe he's hoping to get $10M a year and willing to wait but something under that should get it done quickly unless the Sox are again pretending to be financially strapped. He'd have a crucial role here.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Kemp is not a bad idea. 1.5 fWar last year, 11 out of 12 in SB so LH speed guy gets down the line pretty quickly and should benefit from the shift and pickoff rules.

Many here like the idea of Duvall . He's not far removed from that 2021 season in which he hit 38 HR's and 113 RBI . Definitely high K guy and low OBP but as far as defense and power  he's ideal unless they want the 4th OF to also be LH.

He's 34 now and some have suggested he'd go to a place to get a starting job or more playing time. But I think he'd get plenty of PT here. He has to know what he is at this point of his career and a part time job that he could potentially get 400 PA's should suit him. I think it'll come down to who offers him the most money. Not sure that'll be the White Sox . He's there for the taking right now. Maybe he's hoping to get $10M a year and willing to wait but something under that should get it done quickly unless the Sox are again pretending to be financially strapped. He'd have a crucial role here.

I don’t envision Duvall getting more than $5M/$6M on a one year deal.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I think his cost would be pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t envision Duvall getting more than $5M/$6M on a one year deal.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I think his cost would be pretty reasonable.

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

If he signs for less than 8, I’d be mad we didn’t figure out a way

While I still cannot guess what the White Sox's payroll limit is, I continue to think it's worth pointing out that $5-$6 million for 1 more player puts them pretty much right onto last year's payroll. At some point, there may be an additional reason why they're not getting these done - all of Duvall, Segura, an extra catcher, and an extra swingman pitcher might make sense for this roster, but they may not be able to afford it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think your underselling him He brings more than $5-6M to the table. Harrison essentially got $5.5 M ($4M +1.5M buyout) and Josh wasn't capable of 20-30 HR's like Duvall . Still can play all 3 OF positions and has maintained his speed well. Gets good jumps and has an above average arm and good accuracy.

He pulls most of his HR's and doubles but I saw at 4 to RF in 2022 on his highlights. Didn't see any to straight away CF which I like since it avoids the biggest part of parks.

Perfect for a power hitting PH  since there's no one else to provide that. Also can PR.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 hours ago, he gone. said:

It's such an awful franchise.

No human alive has personally witnessed two White Sox World Series Championships, less than 3,200 are still alive who were born before November 1917.

Miami Marlins Founded 1993

World Series Championships:

Two (1997 & 2003)

The Sox have averaged 4.7 more wins per season under the Rick Hahn GM era (70.0 vs. 65.3). Miami won one playoff series (1-1) to Hahn’s zero (0-2).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

While I still cannot guess what the White Sox's payroll limit is, I continue to think it's worth pointing out that $5-$6 million for 1 more player puts them pretty much right onto last year's payroll. At some point, there may be an additional reason why they're not getting these done - all of Duvall, Segura, an extra catcher, and an extra swingman pitcher might make sense for this roster, but they may not be able to afford it. 

At least get one and than one real frugal move. Duvall would be nice and than just take a shot at some desperation catcher and  hope the team is in a spot where you can dangle some chips at deadline to push team better (or of course start to pivot the other way if things don’t go well). 

He actually has some good underlying hard hit data. He's also good for a stretch or two of hot streaks. I only know this because of fantasy baseball ha. not the guy he used to be, but if healthy think AZ gets a good deal, problem is he's not very healthy. 

5 hours ago, he gone. said:

He actually has some good underlying hard hit data. He's also good for a stretch or two of hot streaks. I only know this because of fantasy baseball ha. not the guy he used to be, but if healthy think AZ gets a good deal, problem is he's not very healthy. 

A team like Arizona should be signing guys who have decent skills but who may or may not be healthy at positions where they don’t have anyone young, playing them for the first half, and trading the ones that are healthy. 

Got a tip from a connection of mine that Yoshinobu Yamamoto has been told he’ll be posted next offseason. If that’s true and he stays healthy, this’ll be the biggest story out of Japan since Ohtani, and one of the biggest free agent pursuits of the offseason overall. He’s very easily and clearly the best pitcher in the NPB, is coming off of two consecutive MVP seasons, and is only 24 years old. This will be every bit of a Tanaka/Daisuke/Darvish type of hype and pursuit, and he’s every bit as good as those guys. 

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Got a tip from a connection of mine that Yoshinobu Yamamoto has been told he’ll be posted next offseason. If that’s true and he stays healthy, this’ll be the biggest story out of Japan since Ohtani, and one of the biggest free agent pursuits of the offseason overall. He’s very easily and clearly the best pitcher in the NPB, is coming off of two consecutive MVP seasons, and is only 24 years old. This will be every bit of a Tanaka/Daisuke/Darvish type of hype and pursuit, and he’s every bit as good as those guys. 

So the White Sox have no chance.

• Like 2