Mike Clevinger under investigation for domestic violence

RibbieRubarb

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The statement from the Padres says that they were aware of the investigation. It is unclear when they found out, it is possible that the team was informed by the victim at the same time that the victim informed MLB, or that the victim informed the team first and the team shared it with MLB.

ok, but i want dates, did this info come to the attention of SD and the MLB before the Sox signed him. That's the bottom line. 

28 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Kinda true, but also wasn't he a known dick/cheater. I don't feel like going back, but wasn't it known he was cheating on his baby mama? Or something along those lines? It's enough red flags to me if i knew of his background ... for like the FO who is cutting a 12mm check to maybe make a bunch of calls to see what they could unearth .... 

We traded the Padres tatis ... we coulda picked up the phone and be like ... anything we should know? I dont know what normal protocol is but i kinda think if i was giving away that much money id make a few calls first. 

It would be very hard to put together a 25 man roster if dudes who cheated on their wifes or baby mama's were not allowed to play professional baseball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

ok, but i want dates, did this info come to the attention of SD and the MLB before the Sox signed him. That's the bottom line. 

um yes, we already have the dates. MLB began the investigation last June. But as balta posted, the CBA indicates the MLB is not allowed to provide that info until punishment is decided or criminal charges are filed.

I'm guessing the MLB taking too long led to the other party going public.

Just now, AJ'S Cousin said:

According to the report this was known to MLB last summer.

When the Padres knew - all we know officially is they knew before today. 

If MLB was informed directly, they wouldn't legally have been able to inform the Padres or any other team, so the Padres saying they were aware of this implies that the Padres were likely informed directly by the victim. If the Padres were the team informed, they would have known from the initial report and they would have had to get the league involved. That is the only scenario where the Padres being aware of the investigation wouldn't break the rule as written.

Looks like every free agent going forward will need to be investigated thourghly. You can't take any chances with millions od dollars at stake and spots on your roster. Clevinger is now branded as Bauer Part 2. put his picture up at the gates in Arizona and don't let him in the ballparks. 

If MLB was informed directly, they wouldn't legally have been able to inform the Padres or any other team, so the Padres saying they were aware of this implies that the Padres were likely informed directly by the victim. If the Padres were the team informed, they would have known from the initial report and they would have had to get the league involved. That is the only scenario where the Padres being aware of the investigation wouldn't break the rule as written.

AJ Preller is also the GM that kept two sets of injury records and used them to screw over other teams.  I am not sure what obligation teams have to report these types of things, but I can definitely see how Preller would keep this to himself either way and use it to screw over other teams.  He quite literally has a history of doing exactly these kinds of things.

• Like 1

I know people are frustrated, but the CBA does a lot of things that are good in terms of protecting players, but sometimes protecting players in situations like these where we'd hope first order is to protect alleged victims and teams.

I was among the first to be concerned about his signing for other reasons, but this is just hard for me to point to the sox just messing up due diligence. This would not have come up on a background check, players on other teams are probably not allowed to be contacted, and other coaches may not have been allowed to know/kept in the dark.

Sox shouldn't have signed him for other reasons, but this to me is most likely to have just ended up as the team that has to deal with a players action.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If that's true and the MLB knew last summer, than SD had to know also. I don't buy it the SD didn't know if MLB knew last summer? Why would the MLB not tell teams "buyer beware" ? Unless there's an escape claus in contracts that abstain you when the truth comes out. BUT even you you don't have to pay, you used a roster spot and other pitchers get signed and your s%*# out of luck and can't relpace him. The Sox kind of deserve it for always going bottom feeding and trying to be cheap. 

10 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

BUT, I believe SD knew and that neglected to tell us? Did we even ask SD or Clevinger "is there anything in your past recently that could screw things up down the road? He's our George Santos now, but we're not stuck with him. We should wait for the suspension so we don't have to pay him for sure, BUT MY VOTE IS " HE GONE"

San Diego was not allowed to share any knowledge of this with any other team or with the press, that's quite explicit in the policy. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

AJ Preller is also the GM that kept two sets of injury records and used them to screw over other teams.  I am not sure what obligation teams have to report these types of things, but I can definitely see how Preller would keep this to himself either way and use it to screw over other teams.  He quite literally has a history of doing exactly these kinds of things.

If AJ Preller knew about this, the domestic violence policy forbids him from sharing that information with anyone else in baseball other than the commissioner's office in order to initiate the investigation. He would know not to sign Clevinger, that is an advantage he would have, but he would have violated that rule if he shared any knowledge he had. This one is not on Preller, he couldn't have said anything if he wanted based on the confidentiality rule text. 

Just now, GradMc said:
2 hours ago, Quin said:

The only thing that isn't making this an absolute House of Horrors is the The Athletic saying the Sox didn't know.

The only  thing Reinsdorf  was concerned with was his hair.

Now more negative publicity heading the organization's way.

3 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

If that's true and the MLB knew last summer, than SD had to know also. I don't buy it the SD didn't know if MLB knew last summer? Why would the MLB not tell teams "buyer beware" ? Unless there's an escape claus in contracts that abstain you when the truth comes out. BUT even you you don't have to pay, you used a roster spot and other pitchers get signed and your s%*# out of luck and can't relpace him. The Sox kind of deserve it for always going bottom feeding and trying to be cheap. 

Here's the text. If MLB said anything like that they would clearly violate this text. MLB would absolutely face a players association grievance if other teams came out and said they were aware of this investigation regarding a free agent. 

The Commissioner’s Office, the Players Association, the Clubs, the Joint Policy Board and any third parties who are consulted under this Policy are prohibited from disclosing confidential information that they already possess as defined above, except (i) in connection with or in anticipation of a grievance or potential grievance involving discipline or potential discipline under this Policy; (ii) to inform the Player’s Club of the Player’s treatment under the Policy; (iii) where necessary to effectively administer a Player’s treatment under the Policy; or (iv) where disclosure is required by law, including court order, and is not subject to any claim of privilege. If the Commissioner’s Office or the Joint Policy Board or any of their agents receive a subpoena or other legal process seeking confidential information, the Commissioner’s Office will notify the Players Association and give it an opportunity to intervene and oppose disclosure of the confidential information. Each Party is responsible for ensuring that the individuals to whom they disclose confidential information under this Policy maintain the confidentiality of the information, and each Party will be deemed responsible for any unauthorized disclosures by persons to whom they provide confidential information.

Emphasis by me. 

Here's the text. If MLB said anything like that they would clearly violate this text. MLB would absolutely face a players association grievance if other teams came out and said they were aware of this investigation regarding a free agent. 

Emphasis by me. 

Damn. MLB players have one hell of a collective bargaining agreement. Would be awesome if most of the hard working Americans out there had union contracts even half as strong. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I thought she just posted this in the last 24 hours?

Found this from August of 2021, just by googling today.  Read the first two paragraphs.

https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2021/08/17/trevor-bauers-accuser-questioned-about-past-relationships-with-padres-players/

That's not the article, although Clevinger's not mentioned in this article "other Padre's player's" I did find one that mentioned Clevinger as one of the "other" player's.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
sp

3 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Found this from August of 2021, just by googling today.  Read the first two paragraphs.

https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2021/08/17/trevor-bauers-accuser-questioned-about-past-relationships-with-padres-players/

I don’t get it. This article is about Trevor Bauers, doesn’t mention Clevinger anywhere