2023-24 NFL Season Thread

18 minutes ago, Quin said:

Sweet Jesus, I feel bad for Caleb Williams if he's playing behind this line

This. There's absolutely no point in drafting a quarterback right now. Peak Tom Brady would suck and/or get injured behind this line.

There are two generational LT in this draft and if the Bears don't get one of them, it doesn't matter a damn bit who their quarterback is. Also need a G and C but probably going to have to get at least one of those in free agency.

Also, why the hell did the Bears keep running Cover 2 when Love was carving it up left and right? Blitz and play man and if you get burned at least it's a quick death rather than a slow one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gotta say I'm glad the fan base seems to want to clean house now. Not that it should matter, but the whole run it back vs. clean house discussion was getting nauseating when it seemed pretty obvious what the right thing to do was all along.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Gotta say I'm glad the fan base seems to want to clean house now. Not that it should matter, but the whole run it back vs. clean house discussion was getting nauseating when it seemed pretty obvious what the right thing to do was all along.

People were actually comparing Fields to Stroud just a week ago.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

People were actually comparing Fields to Stroud just a week ago.

The gap between Stroud and Fields is not as big as the gap between the Texans OL and the Bears OL.

I'm not saying Fields is ever going to be an MVP, but he's good enough to win if surrounded with the right talent and coaching.

I don't see any QB in this draft who's any better than 50/50 to be better than Fields, and drafting a QB at #1 means not getting a LT, so I say give Fields one more year.

Trade the #1 pick to the Patriots. They'll probably be the worst team next year and you get the #1 pick a 3rd year in a row. Then if Fields hasn't gotten it done with the better OL, you pull the trigger then.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The gap between Stroud and Fields is not as big as the gap between the Texans OL and the Bears OL.

I'm not saying Fields is ever going to be an MVP, but he's good enough to win if surrounded with the right talent and coaching.

I don't see any QB in this draft who's any better than 50/50 to be better than Fields, and drafting a QB at #1 means not getting a LT, so I say give Fields one more year.

Trade the #1 pick to the Patriots. They'll probably be the worst team next year and you get the #1 pick a 3rd year in a row. Then if Fields hasn't gotten it done with the better OL, you pull the trigger then.

Their line outside of Tunsil isn't very good either. Stroud is just a better QB. Better QBs get rid of the ball quicker and makes an entire offensive line look competent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Oh god this is just so so far off

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Their line outside of Tunsil isn't very good either. Stroud is just a better QB. Better QBs get rid of the ball quicker and makes an entire offensive line look competent. 

I watched all of their game last night and parts of some other games. Their OL is pretty solid.

Getting rid of the ball quicker is also easier when you have receivers who can get open.

Again, not saying Fields is ever going to be an MVP, but Brock Purdy, Joe Flacco and Mason Rudolph are quarterbacking playoff teams. Fix the OL and WR positions and if Fields doesn't get it done with the improved team, then move on after next year.

Keeping Fields could be a 1 year mistake. Drafting a new QB could be a 4-5 year mistake.

7 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I watched all of their game last night and parts of some other games. Their OL is pretty solid.

Getting rid of the ball quicker is also easier when you have receivers who can get open.

Again, not saying Fields is ever going to be an MVP, but Brock Purdy, Joe Flacco and Mason Rudolph are quarterbacking playoff teams. Fix the OL and WR positions and if Fields doesn't get it done with the improved team, then move on after next year.

Keeping Fields could be a 1 year mistake. Drafting a new QB could be a 4-5 year mistake.

You have to be able to throw a wide receiver open sometime, which is something Fields is awful at.

Just now, fathom said:

You have to be able to throw a wide receiver open sometime, which is something Fields is awful at.

The point is between Stroud last night and Love tonight, you watched QBs who can run a passing offense. Fields just can’t. He can’t take the 4 yard pass when the 12 yard route isn’t going to be open. He can’t move primarily thru the air. You are never going to throw 15 times in a row with him, you’ll be three and out.

But when those QBs make a bad throw or are pressured they say “aw see they are just like fields”. It’s hilarious.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Literally all the cons of Fields coming out of college have manifested themselves. Holds onto the ball, slow release, no anticipation, poor pocket presence and awareness. And he really hasn't meaningfully improved on any of it in the past 3 years. You just gotta cut bait at some point.

• Like 2

Literally all the cons of Fields coming out of college have manifested themselves. Holds onto the ball, slow release, no anticipation, poor pocket presence and awareness. And he really hasn't meaningfully improved on any of it in the past 3 years. You just gotta cut bait at some point.

I know other teams game planned for it more, but he didn’t seem nearly as explosive in the open field this year 

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

I know other teams game planned for it more, but he didn’t seem nearly as explosive in the open field this year 

He seemed closer to what he was in 2021 in terms of his running. His running ability was magical last year. He'd lose a whole defense in a few strides. The burst didn't seem like it was there this year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Oh, now Fields didn’t have good enough receivers this year?  Wow.

What frustrates me is Fields will have 3rd and medium-long, sees the likely blitz alignment, and then looks like he has no clue he’s going to have to unload the ball right away.  He looks like a freshman QB in college that lacks experience.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Honestly, beg Harbaugh to be the coach.

If he thinks the haul for #1 is worth it instead of Caleb or Maye, go for it. Maybe it gets you MHJ and one of the tackles.

But draft a QB in the third or second. It was just amazing seeing so many Packers wide receivers open in the midfield vs. the Bears. And of course the O-Line getting obliterated.

But if a new coach thinks that situation isn't tenable, you have to move on. Just pray for Caleb/Maye's life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Oh, now Fields didn’t have good enough receivers this year?  Wow.

Honestly he really didn't outside of Moore. But let's not pretend the Texans had a top 10 WR room after Dell got hurt. You also have to attribute a lot of Collins' and Dell's success to Stroud. Collins was very mediocre his first 2 seasons. Dell was a 3rd rounder. None of those 2 were considered good before Stroud came along.

• Like 1

Honestly he really didn't outside of Moore. But let's not pretend the Texans had a top 10 WR room after Dell got hurt. You also have to attribute a lot of Collins' and Dell's success to Stroud. Collins was very mediocre his first 2 seasons. Dell was a 3rd rounder. None of those 2 were considered good before Stroud came along.

Packers had a bunch of first and second year WRs. None drafted in the first round. PFF had them as a bottom 5 pass catching group entering the season. I believe the Texans were ranked last…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bears
Washington 
New England
Arizona 
LA Chargers
NY Giants 
Titans 
falcons 
bears
Jets 

finalized Top ten draft order.  So you have Bears commanders New England giants titans falcons that could all conceivably draft a QB and most are likely 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Bears
Washington 
New England
Arizona 
LA Chargers
NY Giants 
Titans 
falcons 
bears
Jets 

finalized Top ten draft order.  So you have Bears commanders New England giants titans falcons that could all conceivably draft a QB and most are likely 

I can’t imagine how much money Penix can make tomorrow night with a great game

• Like 1