2023-24 NFL Season Thread

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t think you can state that. There have been very very few teams led by a rookie qb to ever make the playoffs. So no I don’t think not making the playoffs would be a failure. I think building a real offense and seeing real progress and lots of upside from Caleb and the offense will be important and continued growth in defense will also be key - but no this isn’t the year to put all your chips in just yet.  Now I do think this is the type of team that if Caleb can get to that high level by year 2 than you are talking about getting to high high aspirations quickly. 

It has happened only 14 times and that counts Brock Purdy (who didn’t exactly lead the team all season) in NFL history. A few more are guys like Field Yates and Aaron Brooks who again got into playoffs but didn’t lead the team to playoffs.

Stroud 

Big Ben 

Russel Wilson

Shaun King (benefited from historically great defenses)

Joe Flacco (some damn good defenses)

Mark Sanchez (amazing how went to 2 AFC conference games before totally being a bust)

Aaron Brooks (3-2 in regular season)

Field Yates - I believe he relieved for an injured Matt Schaub) 

Above are recent examples. 

But the Bears find themselves in a very unique position. When was the last time a 7 win team had the No. 1 pick? 

You and I would both agree based on how they both started the season, and how they ended the season..we should see this team improve from last year, no? I would certainly hope the folks up in Lake Forrest aren’t looking at 2024 as a season where they take a step backwards. So with the understanding they were a 7 win team last year, is 9 wins really out of the question? 

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

But the Bears find themselves in a very unique position. When was the last time a 7 win team had the No. 1 pick? 

You and I would both agree based on how they both started the season, and how they ended the season..we should see this team improve from last year, no? I would certainly hope the folks up in Lake Forrest aren’t looking at 2024 as a season where they take a step backwards. So with the understanding they were a 7 win team last year, is 9 wins really out of the question? 

I kind of expect a similar season - slow start with building momentum and maybe they make a late run, maybe they don’t - but they should finish hopefully on an upward trajectory. 

I would guess most with challenges of a rookie qb - 7-9 wins, injuries could drive it lower - Caleb being like Stroud could make them a 10 win type of team. 

Again - I don’t see them winning 11 or 12 games (I would love to be wrong) and if they are I bet we see a Poles 2nd round trade special (hopefully in the Sweat fashion haha). 

I do think we see an even more aggressive play next offseason. I also think Poles has some tricks up his sleeve - at wideout and I bet another linemen or two. 

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I don’t think you can state that. There have been very very few teams led by a rookie qb to ever make the playoffs. So no I don’t think not making the playoffs would be a failure. I think building a real offense and seeing real progress and lots of upside from Caleb and the offense will be important and continued growth in defense will also be key - but no this isn’t the year to put all your chips in just yet.  Now I do think this is the type of team that if Caleb can get to that high level by year 2 than you are talking about getting to high high aspirations quickly. 

It has happened only 14 times and that counts Brock Purdy (who didn’t exactly lead the team all season) in NFL history. A few more are guys like Field Yates and Aaron Brooks who again got into playoffs but didn’t lead the team to playoffs.

Stroud 

Big Ben 

Russel Wilson

Shaun King (benefited from historically great defenses)

Joe Flacco (some damn good defenses)

Mark Sanchez (amazing how went to 2 AFC conference games before totally being a bust)

Aaron Brooks (3-2 in regular season)

Field Yates - I believe he relieved for an injured Matt Schaub) 

Above are recent examples. 

Not making the playoffs this year would 100% be a failure. Bears fans have been patient enough. A good general manager and coaching staff can turn around an organization quickly in the NFL. The Houston Texans are evidence of that. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Sure, if they’re idiots.

Ryan Poles has approached this offseason so far in a strange way. Almost like a guy who is avoiding free agency cause he knows he is going to have a ton of additional draft capital once the 1.1 pick is traded away. 

30 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Ryan Poles has approached this offseason so far in a strange way. Almost like a guy who is avoiding free agency cause he knows he is going to have a ton of additional draft capital once the 1.1 pick is traded away. 

We should know from years of Rick Hahn offseasons that there’s rarely a master plan. Everything is as it appears. Sure it’s possible he is holding back from top tier FA targets because he is going to trade the #1 pick, and use the draft capital. But it’s easier to accept that than the alternative of not signing the best options in positions of need and high cap space

22 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Chargers set to release or trade Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, Keenan Allen, and Mike Williams

Where are you seeing that at? A Khalil Mack reunion would be interesting. Adding Allen or Williams to the WR room on a short term deal would be pretty dope as well. 

1 minute ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Where are you seeing that at? A Khalil Mack reunion would be interesting. Adding Allen or Williams to the WR room on a short term deal would be pretty dope as well. 

I don't think it should be "and" as much as "or", but they are clearly going to do something today.

29 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Chargers set to release or trade Joey Bosa, Khalil Mack, Keenan Allen, and Mike Williams

They are interesting. I presume they will eventually trade one or two of them and restructure, but for sure 2 of them are gone...potentially 3. I think Keenan Allen will stick around and Mack will get traded.  My guess is Williams and Bosa get cut.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They are interesting. I presume they will eventually trade one or two of them and restructure, but for sure 2 of them are gone...potentially 3. I think Keenan Allen will stick around and Mack will get traded.  My guess is Williams and Bosa get cut.  

I think the team signing Mack would be on the hook for $23 million if they trade for him. My bet is that he straight up gets cut. Bosa might not get cut till June 1 since his cap savings go up $8 million if they do that. I agree Allen will most likely be kept and they probably cut or trade Williams since his cap hit is pretty manageable for the team that trades for him. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I think the team signing Mack would be on the hook for $23 million if they trade for him. My bet is that he straight up gets cut. Bosa might not get cut till June 1 since his cap savings go up $8 million if they do that. I agree Allen will most likely be kept and they probably cut or trade Williams since his cap hit is pretty manageable for the team that trades for him. 

You can designate 2 guys as June 1st cuts and cut them now - which I presume is what they would do.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

You can designate 2 guys as June 1st cuts and cut them now - which I presume is what they would do.  

I actually like the idea of Mack on a short-term deal. The Bears need pass rush help badly. Everything I've read in the past day coping with Poles not spending big is that he doesn't want to do that until they know what they have at QB in Caleb. Well, a one year commitment to a guy who had 18 sacks last year is not exactly going to screw with your future finances. 

17 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Mike Florio of Profootballtalk.  Tried to paste the story but for some reason it will not copy paste 

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m seeing more like $50M at OTC and Spotrac…how did you get to those numbers?

Are you taking away $10M for draft picks?  I think OTC and Spotrac don't have the Everett or Byrad signing in their numbers yet.  Not sure why.  

Are you taking away $10M for draft picks?  I think OTC and Spotrac don't have the Everett or Byrad signing in their numbers yet.  Not sure why.  

Spotrac has the draft picks taking up about $14 million. I think they are around $30 million depending on how they structured the cap hits on their signings since. They had close to $50 million after the Johnson extension. Byard is around $7 million, Swift is $6 million this year, Everett is $6 million, Owens is $2 million. 

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Good call out there.  Saw Swift & Owens in there so assumed all our signings were as well.  But they do have draft pick dollars in their build, so I think it would just be missing Byard & Everett (less minimum salary guys coming out of their build).  I’m hoping we’re closer to $40M than $30M in total space.

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Spotrac has the draft picks taking up about $14 million. I think they are around $30 million depending on how they structured the cap hits on their signings since. They had close to $50 million after the Johnson extension. Byard is around $7 million, Swift is $6 million this year, Everett is $6 million, Owens is $2 million. 

Yeah - I presume they are as low as $30M - but its NFL - so if they wanted to - I presume they could cap maneuver and probably create as much as another $10-$15M.  On the other hand - maybe they are earmarkign some money to resign Jenkins (I believe he is extension eligible).  My guess is they would wait and see given his injury issues though. So tough cause when healthy Jenkins is a MONSTER, but we don't get to see that very often.  

Yeah - I presume they are as low as $30M - but its NFL - so if they wanted to - I presume they could cap maneuver and probably create as much as another $10-$15M.  On the other hand - maybe they are earmarkign some money to resign Jenkins (I believe he is extension eligible).  My guess is they would wait and see given his injury issues though. So tough cause when healthy Jenkins is a MONSTER, but we don't get to see that very often.  

Yeah at this point, I don't expect them to make any big time signings. Maybe Armstead is still in play. But they're probably gonna sign a cheap EDGE and slot WR and call it. 

12 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah at this point, I don't expect them to make any big time signings. Maybe Armstead is still in play. But they're probably gonna sign a cheap EDGE and slot WR and call it. 

They need 3 more wideouts, in my opinion. If they intend to take one at 9 - than I'm less concerned, but they still need another vet, even if it is more the Hunter Renfroe type. For whatever reason - I am guessing they move down at 9 - pick up some extra picks and than still add a defensive player and wideout (I think they might draft 2 wideouts - given strenght of the draft).  

15 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I do agree with you and think Armstread and maybe some of the upcoming cap casualties could all be in play. Bears are also meeting with the Vikings pass rusher (Forget his name - but he had like 7 sacks last year and is pretty young). Know nothing about him otherwise though.  

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't think it should be "and" as much as "or", but they are clearly going to do something today.

Mike Williams was released - so Chargers are now under the cap. They still have decisions to make cause I think there are some roster bonuses coming due here by 1PM, so either the other 3 will restructure or get traded, but I think Chargers probalby still want to create a bit more cap space.  My guess is Bosa would be the odd man out like Williams, given both have had durability issues. 

Mack restructuring - he will stay in San Diego.  Bears evidently signed a swing tackle from San Fran to a 1yr deal (he also was in Indy for a year when Eberflus was there).  

Matt Pryror.  Know nothing else about him. 

55 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Mack restructuring - he will stay in San Diego.  Bears evidently signed a swing tackle from San Fran to a 1yr deal (he also was in Indy for a year when Eberflus was there).  

Matt Pryror.  Know nothing else about him. 

Apparently, Poles is fine with adding cheap fringe starters/backup OL like Bates and Pryor.  If Caleb gets destroyed behind this OL, we will know who to blame.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bears-sign-offensive-lineman-matt-pryor

Edited by WhiteSox2023