2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 hour ago, bmags said:

ok but they aren't rolling out their 2023 team to play the 2024 schedule. They get year 2 of Stroud + Slowik with better skill players, most of their defensive players back (who were young) and a likely upgrade in Danielle Hunter.

Some of the teams you are referencing could easily be worse. Baltimore lost MacDonald and could see their D start to fade, Buffalo is self explanatory, Miami's D could easily be worse and tua is injury prone, Chiefs in regular season may not be that difficult, and Cowboys lost quinn.

Houston has continuity with a young roster and got better. Hence why people think they'll get better.

I think that's priceless, especially for an offensive group. It really helped Detroit last season imo. That's what the Bears need to start building with Williams and his offensive group ASAP. The timing you get after a few offseason and seasons together you just can't replicate without the experience.

Lots of radio noise about the bears moving up to draft Harrison, I just canā€™t see it happening right now given their current and upcoming draft cache. Ā Would be pretty amazing to exit day 1 with those two though. Ā Honestly wonā€™t be mad if itā€™s Nabers or Ozunze eitherĀ 

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lots of radio noise about the bears moving up to draft Harrison, I just canā€™t see it happening right now given their current and upcoming draft cache. Ā Would be pretty amazing to exit day 1 with those two though. Ā Honestly wonā€™t be mad if itā€™s Nabers or Ozunze eitherĀ 

I don't know what to think. But last year, at least the week before, the idea of them getting Wright really started to crystallize. Maybe they do value these receivers as specifically special outside normal top ten ranges and go get them. But I would be surprised and it would have to fall just right as a team like the cards could trade back and trade up pretty easily to beat the bears offers.

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Based on what happens in front of them they either need to make the pick of trade down and add picks.Ā  They can't afford to give picks away again.Ā 

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Based on what happens in front of them they either need to make the pick of trade down and add picks.Ā  They can't afford to give picks away again.Ā 

Yes and No. I want more picks as well, but this will be his 3rd draft with the Bears. If they only make 4 selections this year, which is all the draft capital they have, they will have made 25 draft selections in 3 years. Thats still more than 7 rounds per year obviously, and Poles has stated publicly he feels like there is a sizable drop off in talent after Round 4 this year.Ā 

They have 8 picks in 2025 right now, including a 2nd from Carolina, which should be in the high 30's in terms of placement in the draft.Ā 

If the Bears LOVED MHJ, and he was there at say No. 5, I would have no issues with them using the Carolina pick and No. 9 to move up 4 spots and get the guy they feel will be an all-pro for the next 6-8 years.Ā 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Yes and No. I want more picks as well, but this will be his 3rd draft with the Bears. If they only make 4 selections this year, which is all the draft capital they have, they will have made 25 draft selections in 3 years. Thats still more than 7 rounds per year obviously, and Poles has stated publicly he feels like there is a sizable drop off in talent after Round 4 this year.Ā 

They have 8 picks in 2025 right now, including a 2nd from Carolina, which should be in the high 30's in terms of placement in the draft.Ā 

If the Bears LOVED MHJ, and he was there at say No. 5, I would have no issues with them using the Carolina pick and No. 9 to move up 4 spots and get the guy they feel will be an all-pro for the next 6-8 years.Ā 

I get wanting the kid, believe me, but they have SOOO many holes still to fill.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Do they? They need to fill DE, upgrade the OL spot, and DT probably is slightly a need. Other than that, where are the holes?Ā 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Do they? They need to fill DE, upgrade the OL spot, and DT probably is slightly a need. Other than that, where are the holes?Ā 

Depth in the secondary is also a pretty big one.Ā  The DL has lost a decent amount of players.Ā  They haven't been able to keep any of the RBs healthy.Ā  Another WR depending what happens with the draft.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the holes to fill right now is exaggerated, and the thing is they have been using those draft picks to fill the holes itā€™s just via trade instead of selection. Ā Trading down from 9 isnā€™t going to fill every hole but drafting a elite WR might help you cover up some of those holes until the proper guy is thereĀ 

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Depth in the secondary is also a pretty big one.Ā  The DL has lost a decent amount of players.Ā  They haven't been able to keep any of the RBs healthy.Ā  Another WR depending what happens with the draft.

Secondary always could use more guys but this is actually a position the bears have developed extremely well the last few years with both draftees and UDFAs

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not super worried about the secondary right now, as Kyle mentioned, they've done extremely well there. Dealt with some injuries, but not overly concerned there. The RB room isn't a concern at all for me personally. There is ALWAYS a D'onta Foreman out there in street clothes if s%*# hits the fan. And I think everyone is on the same page another WR will be drafted by the Bears early, so you'll have Moore-Allen-Draft Pick-Scott-Jones

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I think the holes to fill right now is exaggerated, and the thing is they have been using those draft picks to fill the holes itā€™s just via trade instead of selection. Ā Trading down from 9 isnā€™t going to fill every hole but drafting a elite WR might help you cover up some of those holes until the proper guy is thereĀ 

I tend to agree here. I am usually the trade down all the time guy but given where they are at - this feels like the - get 2 blue chippers if you can and than go from there draft. You can add a few undrsfted in and bring in some cap casualty vets knowing you got a stable of picks and will have tons of cap flexibility remaining next year.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

30 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I tend to agree here. I am usually the trade down all the time guy but given where they are at - this feels like the - get 2 blue chippers if you can and than go from there draft. You can add a few undrsfted in and bring in some cap casualty vets knowing you got a stable of picks and will have tons of cap flexibility remaining next year.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

My buddy put it well over text: "If getting the top 2 players on your draft board costs you a 2nd, you do it and don't think twice."Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

My buddy put it well over text: "If getting the top 2 players on your draft board costs you a 2nd, you do it and don't think twice."Ā 

I get the sentiment for sure.Ā  I honestly feel better about MHJr than I do anyone else in this draft.Ā  I just feel like this comes out like a Sox rebuild where they want a couple of stars and then fill in the blanks.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I get the sentiment for sure.Ā  I honestly feel better about MHJr than I do anyone else in this draft.Ā  I just feel like this comes out like a Sox rebuild where they want a couple of stars and then fill in the blanks.

We can talk about all the details until we're blue in the face...if Caleb is great, the Bears will be in the Super Bowl conversation for the next 5 years. If he's a bust, none of the other roster moves will make that much of a difference.Ā 

Ā 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

We can talk about all the details until we're blue in the face...if Caleb is great, the Bears will be in the Super Bowl conversation for the next 5 years. If he's a bust, none of the other roster moves will make that much of a difference.Ā 

Ā 

I don't hate Caleb or anything like that, but yeah, he becomes the key as the #1 pick.

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ā 

biggest question to me is how unique is MHJ as a prospect vs just "very good receiver". If you think you'd never get this good a shot at a player like that within a few spots, you do it. If it's just "we like the receivers this draft and want to add one this year", It hink you keep next years picks because 2nd round receivers have been the gold mine recently.

35 minutes ago, Tony said:

I agree - I would also say I wouldn't be comfortable giving up next year's 1st to move up - the Panther(s) 2nd is probably as steep as I would go.Ā  I'd also note - while I get the idea of getting a wideout, I don't love the idea of taking a wideout top 10 in terms of how we are using resources.Ā 

I believe Top 10 picks should go to blue chip players - but primarily at positions where you can't find them elsewhere in the draft (as easily). For example - LT, DE, QB.Ā  The challenge is in this draft - DE seems thin so I don't know whether Poles has that grade on any of the top dlinemen.Ā  LT I presume he might have that grade (and I would legit be good with the same proposal to move up and get Joe Alt if they think he is a perennial all pro left tackle.Ā Ā 

But if you look at the top wideouts around the league - very few were Top 10 picks.Ā  And you can find a lot of top wideouts who went later in round 1 and certainly into round 2. Now this draft is certainly deep at the position and I think MHJ is about as safe of a top wide out pick as you can get, but I wouldn't be shocked if Rome didn't end up as good (his lack of separation or something getting him - and he ended up more like a healthier Mike Williams (thinking of the former Chargers wideout).

Nabers I think has special talent (you can see he has tools that are rare) - does he have other issues that cause a challenge.Ā Ā 

• Thanks 1

I'm not going to pretend be a draft expert but it sounds like everyone thinks the talent after rounds 4/5 is super light compared to most drafts.Ā  I think if you're the Bears and you think MHJ is as good as most of us do you go and trade up for him if you can.

5 hours ago, Tony said:

Not super worried about the secondary right now, as Kyle mentioned, they've done extremely well there. Dealt with some injuries, but not overly concerned there. The RB room isn't a concern at all for me personally. There is ALWAYS a D'onta Foreman out there in street clothes if s%*# hits the fan. And I think everyone is on the same page another WR will be drafted by the Bears early, so you'll have Moore-Allen-Draft Pick-Scott-Jones

Not sure what else they could do after getting Swift anyways.Ā  RB room is the least of the Bears worries.

Hoge and Jahns did a bit with Kevin Fishbain where they argued for WR, Pass Rush or OT at nine.Ā 

To discredit WR, they brought up how few of the top ten paid WRs were first rounders (which will change a lot next year) but also how few were super bowl winners.

I really can't stand that argument. So anyway I put this together below:

Top Ten Paid QBs and Super bowls

total 2
Top Ten Paid RBs and Super Bowls
total 0
Top Ten Paid WRs and Super BOwls
total 2
Top Ten Paid TEs and Super Bowls
total 1
Top Ten Paid LTs and Super Bowls
total 1
Top Ten Paid RTs and Super Bowls
total 2
Top Ten Paid Gs and Super Bowls
total 0
Top Ten Paid Cs and Super Bowls
total 2
Top Ten Paid DEs and Super Bowls
total 0
Top Ten Paid DTs and Super Bowls
total 2
Top Ten Paid OLBs and Super Bowls
total 1
Top Ten Paid MLBs and Super Bowls
total 2
Top Ten Paid CBs and Super Bowls
total 3
Top Ten Paid S and Super Bowls
total 1
Top Ten Paid K and Super Bowls
total 2
Ā 
There's a lot of problems with this. For one, KC has won 3 of the last 5 super bowls. The avg age in the league isn't that old, and to be highest paid you'll need to be on second contract. Also, if you were highly paid 3-4 years ago, likelihood is you may be cut now or are no longer highest paid.
Ā 
But all that aside...WR had more super bowl winners than Edge and LT!!!!!Ā 
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Could be an interesting development. Falcons could lose their 8th overall pick.Ā 

There is also a twitter rumor that Minny would pick up the pick as compensation.Ā  Jesus this could be huge.

As much as I don't like thei dea of Minny picking up the pick - the concept makes sense. Still a FRP would be a pretty massive fine so it all depends on how strong of an example the NFL wants to set.Ā  I would imagine if they go this approach its more a 2nd rounder vs. a 1st rounder.Ā Ā 

But that would be huge for Minny.Ā  Huge. They would be positioned to move up or just take the last of the QB's there and continue putting quality assets around them.Ā Ā