2023-24 NFL Season Thread

10 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Arizona isn't taking a QB? Are you sure about that? 

I'm almost positive there's 0 shot Arizona passes on MHJ at #2. They are putting it out there that they might draft a QB but they've got Kyler signed for years. I think they'll give him a big time weapon and just stay the course there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'm almost positive there's 0 shot Arizona passes on MHJ at #2. They are putting it out there that they might draft a QB but they've got Kyler signed for years. I think they'll give him a big time weapon and just stay the course there.

If Arizona winds up at #2 my guess would be they do the Bears thing and trade down to #3-#4 unless they're taking a QB. The 2 top QBs are going to go #1 and #2 because someone will trade up for them.

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If Arizona winds up at #2 my guess would be they do the Bears thing and trade down to #3-#4 unless they're taking a QB. The 2 top QBs are going to go #1 and #2 because someone will trade up for them.

We are aligned - I think 3 and 4 are likely where the top position player(s) go, although there is always a risk, one of the QB needy teams ends up at 3 to start and gets leapfrogged by 2 other teams moving ahead of them and than are in the uncomfortable spot where they want the QB and maybe reach (because there aren't enough teams willing to pay the premium to move up and get the top LT or DE or MHJ).  

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

We are aligned - I think 3 and 4 are likely where the top position player(s) go, although there is always a risk, one of the QB needy teams ends up at 3 to start and gets leapfrogged by 2 other teams moving ahead of them and than are in the uncomfortable spot where they want the QB and maybe reach (because there aren't enough teams willing to pay the premium to move up and get the top LT or DE or MHJ).  

If I'm Washington and I wind up #3-4, I'm darn well trading up to #1-2 if there's any possible way to do so. If I'm Vegas or the Jets, I'd try but I'd imagine Washington would outbid me with the higher pick.

18 hours ago, chw42 said:

I thought the Bears blew the worst game of the season against the Lions, but the Dolphins just one-upped them by giving up a 14 point lead to the Titans with a little under 4 minutes to go. 

Closer to 3 minutes...too reliant on Tyreek Hill to bail them out.   Tua's taking way too many sacks and not as careful with the football the last month or so.

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If I'm Washington and I wind up #3-4, I'm darn well trading up to #1-2 if there's any possible way to do so. If I'm Vegas or the Jets, I'd try but I'd imagine Washington would outbid me with the higher pick.

The hard part is - what if you have to give up say a 3, 2nd rounder this year, 1 next year plus another 2 and blue chip player or another 1. Not saying it will be that expensive but it might be close to that (depending on if the league values this years 1 more than last years given Williams/Maye). 

17 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

The hard part is - what if you have to give up say a 3, 2nd rounder this year, 1 next year plus another 2 and blue chip player or another 1. Not saying it will be that expensive but it might be close to that (depending on if the league values this years 1 more than last years given Williams/Maye). 

While I'm not sure what those teams can actually afford (are the Jets still missing picks because of their last QB?), if I were either Washington or NYJ I would absolutely do that if I thought I was getting a franchise QB.

6 hours ago, soulfly said:

Has to be the highest point total ever scored by a team after scoring 0 the week before.  At least I'd assume so.

It’s funny that the Bears beat pretty much this same Raiders team 30-12, and lost to the Chargers 30-13.  The chargers had Herbert who is clearly a big offensive difference but lol damn they couldn’t move the ball at all against the chargers D

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Bears trading Justin Fields? GMs explain why it’s the best route and where compensation could land

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-trading-justin-fields-gms-explain-why-its-the-best-route-and-where-compensation-could-land-153257987.html

I'm starting to come around to trading Fields, and a lot has to do with resetting the clock. As many have noted, and this article only briefly touches on it, it's VERY difficult in todays NFL to win with a franchise QB on his second deal. He not only has to be "the guy" but even then, we're seeing it with Mahomes in KC right now, it's very difficult to build a team around a contract north of 50 mil or whatever the numbers are. They actually had the right idea with the team they built around Mitch, he just wasn't the right guy. 

25 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm starting to come around to trading Fields, and a lot has to do with resetting the clock. As many have noted, and this article only briefly touches on it, it's VERY difficult in todays NFL to win with a franchise QB on his second deal. He not only has to be "the guy" but even then, we're seeing it with Mahomes in KC right now, it's very difficult to build a team around a contract north of 50 mil or whatever the numbers are. They actually had the right idea with the team they built around Mitch, he just wasn't the right guy. 

This is where I am. 

28 minutes ago, Tony said:

Agreed. Plus I just don't see fields as the guy either. He's pretty good but not the one the the team that drafted him give the mega deal to. 

It really is one of the most interesting sports decisions I can remember. 

The conversation is already a bit tired, but I don’t trust people that act too certain about it.

Its an incredibly valuable gift that you want to squeeze all the value out of rather than just blowing it on some quick sugar rushes like a kid who found $5

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Its Mark Sanchez, and he’s absolutely brutal 

Him screaming to burn the time out, which was obviously going to happen, while his partner was talking is so annoying.

He was also wrong about literally everything that succeeded for the browns.

I’ve started to really like how cbs announcers really let the silence work more often.