Jose Abreu Article Sun Times

palehose1

45 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don’t mind Jose being critical here at all. He didn’t need to say the Astros were some sort of family, impossible to know that three weeks in, and that seems like shade for sake of shade. I would be pissed too if I gave everything I had for 10 years and had a dysfunctional last year in a dysfunctional organization to show for it. Based on all he did for the White Sox, I will give him a pass. 

It is interesting to see that Ron’s 5 year plan of poisoning of the board’s perception of Jose Abreu has finally bore fruit with other posters. 

Imagine thinking Jose Abreu, man who outplayed his 3 year contract by leaps and bounds, was somehow also responsible for TA’s distractions, Robert’s mystery injuries, Eloy not being able to stay in the lineup, Moncada’s apparent lack of interest, AJ Pollock being bad, Vaughn and Sheets sucking out of position, Leury being overused. 

The goalposts are unbelievable for this guy. 

As the de facto leader of the team, Jose should take some responsibility for the toxic clubhouse culture. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

As the de facto leader of the team, Jose should take some responsibility for the toxic clubhouse culture. 

I must have missed when he demanded to be the leader of the team and everything that comes with it.

But yeah, he should take some responsibility, as should every other damn guy.

He was the default leader of the team that didn’t have many other candidates, not a miracle worker.

52 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I don’t mind Jose being critical here at all. He didn’t need to say the Astros were some sort of family, impossible to know that three weeks in, and that seems like shade for sake of shade. I would be pissed too if I gave everything I had for 10 years and had a dysfunctional last year in a dysfunctional organization to show for it. Based on all he did for the White Sox, I will give him a pass. 

It is interesting to see that Ron’s 5 year plan of poisoning of the board’s perception of Jose Abreu has finally bore fruit with other posters. 

Imagine thinking Jose Abreu, man who outplayed his 3 year contract by leaps and bounds, was somehow also responsible for TA’s distractions, Robert’s mystery injuries, Eloy not being able to stay in the lineup, Moncada’s apparent lack of interest, AJ Pollock being bad, Vaughn and Sheets sucking out of position, Leury being overused. 

The goalposts are unbelievable for this guy. 

If Hahn hadn’t fucked up the payroll allocation and got an actual competent outfield instructor like Rusty Kuntz, we could have Eloy in LF at league average, Abreu at DH and Vaughn at 1B.

Then we wouldn’t have needed to spend another $75 million on Benintendi.  That money could have gone into another starter and reliever instead.

We’d have enough LH hitting from Colas, Moncada and Grandal…

Why would a free agent ever want to sign with the White Sox. Zach Wheeler turned down more money to sign elsewhere. AJ Pollack left money on the table and left. You know players talk amongst each other and this can’t be a place they want to come to. 

Man Grifol and Charlie Montoya better win this year or this franchise is going to sink even further into the abyss. 

21 hours ago, wegner said:

Do you think that Reinsdorf ever has a moment of clarity in which he does realize "darn, that really was an awful hire"?

By now this demented POS owner must finally realize to some degree, it was a huge debacle hiring his drunk buddy. However Reinsdorf as we all know, has a massive arrogant ego and would never admit his insanely stupid decision to the fans. media or probably even his family. 

Sadly if Reinsdorf doesn't truly see what a colossal f*** up hiring TLR was, then it clearly solidifies that this dysfunctional organization will always be a joke and never a winning WS team as long this POS man owns this team. 

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

If Hahn hadn’t fucked up the payroll allocation and got an actual competent outfield instructor like Rusty Kuntz, we could have Eloy in LF at league average, Abreu at DH and Vaughn at 1B.

Then we wouldn’t have needed to spend another $75 million on Benintendi.  That money could have gone into another starter and reliever instead.

We’d have enough LH hitting from Colas, Moncada and Grandal…

The issue isn’t Eloys defense necessarily, it’s his body and mental mistakes. Manny fucking Ramirez played LF forever by just making the routine plays. Eloy seems to think he can be a gold glover out there which isn’t anywhere near the case and his body just does not agree. On ANY competent team Eloy should be strictly DH. The roster construction issues fall solely on the drafting/signing of individuals who can’t play anything besides first/DH. 

23 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

While true, fucking up the roster construction so bad that it was the case is another feather in Hahn’s cap.  Same with the insulting offer.  Creating such an atmosphere that sent a franchise cornerstone running for the hills though is unforgivable. 

So very true, but only under our POS loser owner could a GM like Hahn keep his job with the horrendous job he did with the infamous rebuild now going on 7 years. Most quality and smart owners by now would have fired Hahn's ass! 

18 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

The issue isn’t Eloys defense necessarily, it’s his body and mental mistakes. Manny fucking Ramirez played LF forever by just making the routine plays. Eloy seems to think he can be a gold glover out there which isn’t anywhere near the case and his body just does not agree. On ANY competent team Eloy should be strictly DH. The roster construction issues fall solely on the drafting/signing of individuals who can’t play anything besides first/DH. 

Abreu, Vaughn, Sheets, Burger, Jimenez...all profile best at DH/1B.

In retrospect, drafting Madrigal and Vaughn at non premium positions might have started the series of roster debacles leading to Rodon/Kimbrel...then Pollock...then Benintendi to correct all those poor decisions.  Always playing catch up.

17 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

By now this demented POS owner must finally realize to some degree, it was a huge debacle hiring his drunk buddy. However Reinsdorf as we all know, has a massive arrogant ego and would never admit his insanely stupid decision to the fans. media or probably even his family. 

Sadly if Reinsdorf doesn't truly see what a colossal f*** up hiring TLR was, then it clearly solidifies that this dysfunctional organization will always be a joke and never a winning WS team as long this POS man owns this team. 

Bravo.

The only game I plan to attend this coming season is Jose Abreu's homecoming and I expect it to be high drama and raucous.

Reinsdorf will likely be miles away from 35th st for that series. Jose Abreu deserves a World Series ring. He should have gotten it here in Chicago.

I hope the eventual new ownership will reach out to Jose.

He would be an amazing ambassador. 

He is a class act !!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GradMc said:

Bravo.

The only game I plan to attend this coming season is Jose Abreu's homecoming and I expect it to be high drama and raucous.

Reinsdorf will likely be miles away from 35th st for that series. Jose Abreu deserves a World Series ring. He should have gotten it here in Chicago.

I hope the eventual new ownership will reach out to Jose.

He would be an amazing ambassador. 

He is a class act !!

Frank Thomas works with the Sox now and his exit was much worse imo.

4 hours ago, wegner said:

Absolutely. I don’t even understand those that think this is a bad exit. This board loves to make itself miserable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wegner said:

Fisk, McDowell, Ventura, Durham, Maggs, C-Lee, Buehrle, Dye, Rowand/Thome...the only ones not run off unceremoniously were Konerko and Contreras.  Stayed pretty faithful to AJ until the end, too.

Fisk, McDowell, Ventura, Durham, Maggs, C-Lee, Buehrle, Dye, Rowand/Thome...the only ones not run off unceremoniously were Konerko and Contreras.  Stayed pretty faithful to AJ until the end, too.

thome was given a chance to chase a ring. they loved him.  

And almost all are working for the white sox or living out of the spotlight

On 3/3/2023 at 8:53 PM, ChiSox59 said:

He was lowballed because he ran his course on this roster. Having Jose would have been great, but it was no longer realistic based on the roster construction. The FO is to blame for that, but letting the much older and declining player leave was the right call. 

The Sox beating the Astros offer would have been an atrocious use of resources. 

its not abreu's fault that hahnjob cant do much more than sign relievers to multiyear deals only to watch them suck.

On 3/4/2023 at 10:01 AM, ron883 said:

The players don't know what is good for them. Tony is the devil, and he is responsible for everything wrong with last year's team and the teams going forward. I'm not sure how long it will take to shed the TLR stink. 

Exactly. Millennials can't get a job done without older folks around to lead them. A locker room full of twenty and thirty year old kids can't be expected to perform. They will fail. 

Except in every other business on the planet. Then suddenly folks in that same age range can innovate, build massive companies. But in baseball, no way. They need a manager to guide them. 

On 3/4/2023 at 12:36 PM, The Kids Can Play said:

So very true, but only under our POS loser owner could a GM like Hahn keep his job with the horrendous job he did with the infamous rebuild now going on 7 years. Most quality and smart owners by now would have fired Hahn's ass! 

Exactly. What's really funny is how many people Hahn fooled last year into believing that team could win the central. 

Another team probably still would have offered Abreu more money than the Sox would have if none of the toxicity occurred (TLR was never hired), but Abreu could have still opted to stay with the Sox for less money.  That's what really sucks about this.  Jose would most likely still be a White Sox and would likely retire as a White Sox.  The hiring of TLR was horrendous and absolutely ruined this team for two years.

Grifol has a tall task ahead of him.  So far I like what I'm seeing and hearing.  Time will tell.  But damn, it's so depressing how badly the TLR hire screwed this team.

12 hours ago, ewokpelts said:

reinsdorf treats them differently when they aren't in the union anymore.

If these guys were all "run off" they seemed ok with it. For an organization that is deemed to treat their players like garbage they seem to have a relationship with them if they desire after their playing days.

Harold Baines and Frank Thomas could be the top of this list and JR somehow got Baines into the HOF.

Now that I think of it maybe that was how LaRussa got the managerial job