Benintendi: "Where I Should Be" with the Sox

Heads22

It's offseason fluff, but sometime's it's nice to be fluffed.

“It was an offer I couldn’t refuse. This is where I wanted to be and where I should be,” Benintendi said the other day in White Sox camp. “It’s not something specifically where I wanted to stay in the Midwest. But as far as the teams that were interested, I think this was the best fit.” 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Thanks for posting this, double 2.

It was a good read.

Hoo dang, Sox must have been really convinced his hand was good for the long haul.

That's a lot of wampum.

Same could be said for the Rodon contract mentioned in that article, 6/$162M is a lot of scratch. Hopefully for their sake that forearm strain is just a strain...

5 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Same could be said for the Rodon contract mentioned in that article, 6/$162M is a lot of scratch. Hopefully for their sake that forearm strain is just a strain...

Rodon is toast, I'll say that with confidence

8 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I’m “where I should be” because they gave me the most money…

And fans are better off. Imagine if money wasn't a factor and every player just wanted to be on the very best team and win championships. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

And fans are better off. Imagine if money wasn't a factor and every player just wanted to be on the very best team and win championships. 

Limited roster spots would but a damper on that. If money wasn’t a factor, more teams would at least attempt to compete, and fanbases with little hope would have a bit more. When money wasn’t a factor teams like KC and Pitt and Cincinatti were always good. Now they usually have little shot: the best thing, and I know it will never happen, isn’t spending less, but evening the playing field more. Pay the players, but divide the money up, and only give money to teams that spend it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Limited roster spots would but a damper on that. If money wasn’t a factor, more teams would at least attempt to compete, and fanbases with little hope would have a bit more. When money wasn’t a factor teams like KC and Pitt and Cincinatti were always good. Now they usually have little shot: the best thing, and I know it will never happen, isn’t spending less, but evening the playing field more. Pay the players, but divide the money up, and only give money to teams that spend it.

In response to the comment that he wants to be here because the Sox were high bidder for his services. I meant imagine if money wasn't a factor to the players. They would play for minimum wage just to be on the best team possible. 

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

It’s a pointless hypothetical that also ignores an athlete’s ego and other human factors. 

18 hours ago, Texsox said:

So maybe more than just money factored in his decision? 

Certainly money is an issue. But so is playing time/position. I think the Sox thought Beni would be the full time left-fielder where the Yankees thought he was more apt to be a  platoon guy.   I think  he has a great chance to be an everyday outfielder.

19 hours ago, Texsox said:

So maybe more than just money factored in his decision? 

You are the one trying to catch people in meaningless hypotheticals.  In this case, the White Sox probably had the best offer on the table and that is the primary reason he signed here.  I highly doubt he would be here if he had a better offer elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

You are the one trying to catch people in meaningless hypotheticals.  In this case, the White Sox probably had the best offer on the table and that is the primary reason he signed here.  I highly doubt he would be here if he had a better offer elsewhere. 

I'm certain his ego and other human factors played a role as well. 

9 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Sad to say if this  were  true, we'd have 25 Leurys on our team

My point was really if players didn't care about the paycheck someone would have every great player and they would probably be in NY or LA to win championships. As @Tnetennbamentioned there are also ego and other human factors in play so some of the Midwestern guys may want to go to Chicago. But money spreads players out a bit.

Players going for the money screws a couple of franchises (I'm looking at Pittsburgh), but most of the franchises can land an above average replacement in the free agent market by outbidding. Not always a marque name, but above average.

Which is why I favor eliminating the draft and having everyone be a free agent from the start. Imagine if other industries worked like that. Accounting firms gathered together every spring to draft accountants for their company. "We needed to beef up our budget analyst department but fucking JR went cheap in the first round and picked up a payroll generalist. You can pick them up in a late round from a public school for cheap. No need to waste a high pick."