2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Someone school me on Ben Hess. I really like what I saw today.

He's a central Illinois kid. One of the best HS arms I ever saw.  He didn't pitch much in HS because of a back injury but when he did he was dominating.  He's battled injuries his first two years at Alabama too.  I hope he has a run of health because he has a chance to be special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The arm is special and he’s so new to being a full time starter…he’s definitely on my short list of targets. 

With 1-5? Too rich for me. I am postion player only at 1-5 then get pitching with at least 2 of their 3 other high picks. But even if I wanted pitching there,  Brecht's risk profile is way too high for me their. Forget reliever risk, with that may walks, there's actual bust risk.

10 hours ago, Timmy U said:

With 1-5? Too rich for me. I am postion player only at 1-5 then get pitching with at least 2 of their 3 other high picks. But even if I wanted pitching there,  Brecht's risk profile is way too high for me their. Forget reliever risk, with that may walks, there's actual bust risk.

I get the risk but I'm all in on Brecht.  He's amazing.  He literally checks every box except one to be an ace in this game and yes it's a very important box he doesn't check but I think with more reps and coaching he will be able to throw consistent strikes.  It's so early in his baseball life and he does things you don't see other guys do...ever.  The frame, the athleticism, the low effort delivery, the clean arm action, the life on the fastball, the unhittable slider.  He easily has the highest ceiling of any player in this draft.  It's all there.

26 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I get the risk but I'm all in on Brecht.  He's amazing.  He literally checks every box except one to be an ace in this game and yes it's a very important box he doesn't check but I think with more reps and coaching he will be able to throw consistent strikes.  It's so early in his baseball life and he does things you don't see other guys do...ever.  The frame, the athleticism, the low effort delivery, the clean arm action, the life on the fastball, the unhittable slider.  He easily has the highest ceiling of any player in this draft.  It's all there.

Definitely the highest ceiling arm in the class for sure 

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Thanks. I respect that POV, but I think in a mediocre system where they probably shanked their top pick a year ago, I would rather have a high ceiling position player like Konnor Griffin than Brecht. Guys with control this bad rarely seem to fix it, but we shall see.

2 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Not that I think he's in play for the Sox pick, but it would be hilarious if the Sox drafted Mike Sirota

At that point we'd have had a Mike: Sirotka, Soroka and Sirota

I think he is in play. Sirota is probably in the 5-10 range, and I gotta believe the top of this draft is going to feature a lot of deals. IMHO the picks in this area are not worth slot. I could imagine the Sox popping a relatively safe pick in Sirota to afford HS picks down the line.

Montgomery has one of the higher ceilings of the college position players.  He has a great body and above avg athleticism.  A switch hitter with plus power from both sides of the plate.  I wish he could play CF but he's a lock to stay in RF thanks to his 7 arm and you could probably argue it's an 8. He also pitches but his future is as a bat.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:46 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Okay.. Sign me up