2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

Posted (edited)

Probably sound like a broken record at this point, but the top of the class feels so much better then it did a few months ago. Condon, Cags, Smith, Burns, Mongtomery, and even Brecht at 5 I'm okay with. Griffin and some of the prep guys are fine too.

I still don't know how I feel about Wetherholt/Bazzana. College 2B scares me. Curious to see how updated rankings place the top of this class.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Count me in on the Brody Brecht hype train. He has the type of electric arm and stuff to be a bonafide ace. Even if he takes an extra year to fully develop than other college pitchers his potential ceiling would be well worth the wait imo. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Count me in on the Brody Brecht hype train. He has the type of electric arm and stuff to be a bonafide ace. Even if he takes an extra year to fully develop than other college pitchers his potential ceiling would be well worth the wait imo. 

I mean he is still walking a guy an inning.. I just don't know how that can be fixed.

17 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I mean he is still walking a guy an inning.. I just don't know how that can be fixed.

I think it’s a little extreme to say that it can’t be fixed for a 21 year old kid in his 2nd year being a full time baseball player. Especially for someone with his type of electric stuff, I could see if he can’t harness 94/95 but 98-100 makes a lot more sense…at least to me

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kurtz and Sirota are having disappointing seasons, aren’t they?  If the top 4 are Condon, Burns, Cags and Smith, who’s your guy at 5?

Montgomery, maybe Brecht, and whatever prep bat Shirley is into. Which might be Rainer?

Someone tell me how to feel about Bazanna/Wetherholt.

30 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Montgomery, maybe Brecht, and whatever prep bat Shirley is into. Which might be Rainer?

Someone tell me how to feel about Bazanna/Wetherholt.

I was thinking Rainer is 2nd round?

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Kurtz and Sirota are having disappointing seasons, aren’t they?  If the top 4 are Condon, Burns, Cags and Smith, who’s your guy at 5?

Bazzana is absolutely going top 5. He’s probably the leader at 1 right now 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You understand this stuff.  You watch the players.  How do you feel about them?

I actually haven't watched either of them this season. I think I'm too scarred by the last college 2B the Sox took early. They just don't seem like high impact players and I would prefer other options currently.

25 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I actually haven't watched either of them this season. I think I'm too scarred by the last college 2B the Sox took early. They just don't seem like high impact players and I would prefer other options currently.

Way closer to like a LH Matt Shaw than Nick Madrigal. Bazzana is good. I'd prefer someone else though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

Agreed.  Bazzana and Wetherholt are both limited players because they're below avg athletes.  They would be the same in a long line of recent college position players the Sox have drafted. Collins, Berger, Madrigal, Vaughn, Gonzalez.  All these guys are limited players because they're not good athletes.  They have to move away from drafting this type of player and draft plus athletes with tools and high ceilings.  One or even both of Wetherholt and Bazzana may end up being fine players but I don't want them to draft a fine player.  I want them to draft a high impact difference maker.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

We hoping for a college or HS bat? Selfishly I want a college bat that can be impactful in a couple years

I’d be fine with Condon or Kurtz but they should take whoever the best bat is. 

On 3/14/2024 at 2:40 PM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Agreed.  Bazzana and Wetherholt are both limited players because they're below avg athletes.  They would be the same in a long line of recent college position players the Sox have drafted. Collins, Berger, Madrigal, Vaughn, Gonzalez.  All these guys are limited players because they're not good athletes.  They have to move away from drafting this type of player and draft plus athletes with tools and high ceilings.  One or even both of Wetherholt and Bazzana may end up being fine players but I don't want them to draft a fine player.  I want them to draft a high impact difference maker.  

• If Bazzana, Burns, Condon and Smith are off the board, who do you go with?
  • Who do you think Getz will go with, and will Jerry interfere / continue to interfere?
  • Do you think the organization will shift to athletes over batting cage/DH types with Hahn Haber gone?

Have to laugh Jerry slated Jeremy Haber as COO of the NBA 2K League.