2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

53 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

So is Bazzana still considered to go #1

Cleveland is a tough one to figure out.  They love their contact oriented middle infielders.  Their system is littered with them and that would lean more towards Wetherholt (man some guys REALLY like him) than Bazzana. They did take DeLauter a couple years ago so maybe they go with a higher ceiling guy like Cags or Condon.  I would be surprised if they take one of the pitchers but they are a data driven org and Burns is a data darling.  Hopefully they take one of Wetherholt or Bazzana because that's a better chance Cags or Smith get to pick 5.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Cleveland is a tough one to figure out.  They love their contact oriented middle infielders.  Their system is littered with them and that would lean more towards Wetherholt (man some guys REALLY like him) than Bazzana. They did take DeLauter a couple years ago so maybe they go with a higher ceiling guy like Cags or Condon.  I would be surprised if they take one of the pitchers but they are a data driven org and Burns is a data darling.  Hopefully they take one of Wetherholt or Bazzana because that's a better chance Cags or Smith get to pick 5.  

was listening to the latest Future Sox video on YouTube, they really like Hagen Smith, Bryce Rainer, Bazzana and Burns.  I've seen a few mocks and multiple sites have the Sox picking Konnor Griffin... like really?

5 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

was listening to the latest Future Sox video on YouTube, they really like Hagen Smith, Bryce Rainer, Bazzana and Burns.  I've seen a few mocks and multiple sites have the Sox picking Konnor Griffin... like really?

Griffin has outrageous tools.  I keep going back and forth between him and Rainer.  I'm out on Bazzana and half out on Burns.  I'm not sure Bazzana stays on the dirt or how his power will translate to the next level.  I still think Burns is a reliever but I'm trying to keep a sort of open mind.  I will be very happy if they get Cags, Smith or Griffin/Rainer.  

Law has a big write up on some HS/College players : Lindsey, Honeycutt, Yesavage, Rainer, Curiel, Sirota etc. My school is blocking my athletic so I can't share. 

Lindsey, Rainer, Yesavage Stock up

Honeycutt, Siorta-Down

Curiel-Thinks he should stay in school and let the body develop can possibly be a top draft pick down the road if stays with the commitment to LSU. 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Griffin has outrageous tools.  I keep going back and forth between him and Rainer.  I'm out on Bazzana and half out on Burns.  I'm not sure Bazzana stays on the dirt or how his power will translate to the next level.  I still think Burns is a reliever but I'm trying to keep a sort of open mind.  I will be very happy if they get Cags, Smith or Griffin/Rainer.  

I can definitely see the tools, plus the kid is what...going on 18 and already 6'4, dude could be a giant at 21

re: Smith, you want the Sox to take pitching this high in the draft?

Edited by joejoesox

35 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

I can definitely see the tools, plus the kid is what...going on 18 and already 6'4, dude could be a giant at 21

re: Smith, you want the Sox to take pitching this high in the draft?

Yes. I'm not afraid to draft college pitching especially when you can get arguably the best pitcher in the draft.  

40 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yes. I'm not afraid to draft college pitching especially when you can get arguably the best pitcher in the draft.  

that's fair, and not a bad take figuring the Sox have proven to be unable to successfully develop a high tool hitter who didn't already come prepackaged to them that way such as Robert.  but lots of toolsy hitters probably available at 5

Posted (edited)

Law saw Rainer recently.

The annual National High School Invitational tournament took place this week at the USA Baseball Complex in Cary, NC, but the draft talent there was very light, with Harvard-Westlake shortstop Bryce Rainer the only projected first-round pick on any of the 16 teams. Rainer helped his cause with a strong week, and he is likely to be one of the first two high school hitters selected this year, along with Mississippi outfielder Konnor Griffin. Griffin is the toolshed, while Rainer is the more polished player and plays the more valuable position. His hit tool is still the biggest variable, but he did show he could hit decent stuff in Cary while continuing to play superb defense.

Rainer’s not just a plus defender at short with a 70 arm — he hit 95 mph in a relief appearance as well, but please miss me with any two-way talk — he’s a leader in the field, involved in every play, directing teammates, serving as the sort of on-field captain you hope your shortstop or your catcher can be. He has a sound swing with some loft to drive the ball, showing he had extra-base power the other way, but it’s not great bat speed and that has borne out over the past 12 months in the small sample of pitches he’s seen with above-average velocity. He does so many other things well that I think he’s worthy of a top-10 pick, even with concerns about how well he’ll catch up to big-league fastballs.

https://theathletic.com/5414137/2024/04/15/2024-mlb-draft-kellon-lindsey-trey-yesavage-vance-honeycutt/

Edited by DirtySox

https://futurestarsseries.com/mlb-draft-mock-draft-4-0/

Kurtz going 1st overall would be wild.

There continues to be a ton of buzz surrounding the Chicago White Sox and high school bluechips at pick No. 5. Plenty of brass have been in to see Griffin on multiple occasions, and they seem to like him a good deal, but it’s Rainer who continues to hear his name surge into this spot. It’s been a resurgent spring with an improved hit tool, more assertiveness and physicality in the box, all whilst maintaining his impressive defensive and athletic chops. He’s got a shot to be the first prep off the board and Chicago seems smitten with the high schooler some insist on throwing Colson Montgomery comparisons on.

I'm pretty sold on Rainer.

Posted (edited)

Law's top 15 out of that 50 from his updated rankings.

1.) Charlie Condon

2.) Travis Bazzana

3.) Nick Kurtz

4.) Jac Caglianone

5.) JJ Wetherholt

6.) Chase Burns

7.) Hagen Smith

8.) Braden Montgomery

9.) Bryce Rainer

10.) Konnor Griffin

11.) Seaver King

12.) Slade Caldwell

13.) Trey Yesavage

14.) Malcom Moore

15.) Kaelen Culpepper

Edited by DirtySox

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Law seemed to imply the Guardians will strike an underslot deal

Of course they will. Nobody in this class is worth the slot value at #1. Just depends how much $$ they want to save. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Of course they will. Nobody in this class is worth the slot value at #1. Just depends how much $$ they want to save. 

Who do you suppose is in play for 1-1? I would say Condon, Bazzana, Smith, for sure. Cags doesn’t seem like their type. Maybe the high schoolers?  Wetherholt is their type but he’s hurt again. I wouldn’t be surprised if Braden Montgomery is in there too,  Maybe Burns?  Again, he doesn’t seem like their type either.