White Sox Winner ! Back 2 Back wins ! 17-3 on Dog Days !

9 hours ago, Quin said:

What I'm learning is that this is the lineup the Sox need to run out there:

CF - Billy Hamilton
LF - Mark Payton
RF - Adam Engel
2B -  Nick Madrigal
SS - Tim Anderson
3B - Leury Garcia
1B - Jose Abreu
C - Reese McGuire
DH - Yermin Mercedes

8 Yermins and 1 Billy Hamilton.  They’ll be bad, but damnit they’ll be fun!

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

A winning streak and a chance to win a series!!!

Easy there Tiger. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. 1 game at a time !

Although, the Sox could win the series AND have a 3 game winning streak with a win today and sweep a series for the 1st time and have a 4 game winning streak if they win the final game of the series on Thursday. Those things need to happen at some point this season. Might as well start off May on a high note. 🤐🤨🤫🤔😝

Hmm 17-3 on Dog Days ? They might want to think about getting some kind of puppy as a mascot and keep it in the clubhouse during games. Dalmation ? (Sox colors ) Black Lab ? Mastiff ? They'd have to name it something cool. One things for sure, they would know the puppy's name before they know their coaches names.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hmm 17-3 on Dog Days ? They might want to think about getting some kind of puppy as a mascot and keep it in the clubhouse during games. Dalmation ? (Sox colors ) Black Lab ? Mastiff ? They'd have to name it something cool. One things for sure, they would know the puppy's name before they know their coaches names.

C'mon man.

Edit: So it's more obvious, let me gesture towards my profile picture.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

C'mon man.

Edit: So it's more obvious, let me gesture towards my profile picture.

Is that a dog ? I could never tell (not that I ever looked til now). Kind of looks like a fox. Although a dog named Fox (rhymes with Sox and Nellie  for nostalgia ) might be good.

10 Science-Based Benefits of Having a Dog

Oct 20, 2020
1. Dogs make us feel less alone
2. Dogs are good for your heart
3. Dogs help you stop stressing out
4. Dogs help us cope with crisis
5. Dogs encourage you to move

9 hours ago, Claudellsleptheretoo said:

Hey now Billy has NEVER dogged it running to first.  I’m nearly delirious.  What if Kopech goes back to throwing 105?  What if Crochet comes back in a week or two with stuff more wicked than pre-TJ?  Guys have done that before.  What if Liam comes back before ReyLo gets a chance to blow any more saves?  What if Moncada has an “on” year instead?  Grandal actually hits above .230?  Robert learns to either actually hit a slider or lay off of one?  Eloy misses less than 30 games?  The whole team learns to actually stretch properly?  I choose to hope…

I think you capitalized the wrong word. DOGGED would've been better since Hamilton made his 2023 Sox debut on Dog Day !

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Is that a dog ? I could never tell (not that I ever looked til now). Kind of looks like a fox. Although a dog named Fox (rhymes with Sox and Nellie  for nostalgia ) might be good.

10 Science-Based Benefits of Having a Dog

Oct 20, 2020
1. Dogs make us feel less alone
2. Dogs are good for your heart
3. Dogs help you stop stressing out
4. Dogs help us cope with crisis
5. Dogs encourage you to move

Waldo the White Sox Wolf, the sorta mascot that predated Southpaw.

• Thanks 1

That was a great walk off win and good to finally win 2 in a row for the first time this season. 

Not be negative and rain on this game, but I got a bone to pick with Grifol. He is still making stupid managerial mistakes that eventually will cost the Sox games.

1. In the top of the 6th inning when Kopech gave up the first hit to Buxton, Steve Stone immediately said, this would be a great time for maybe Grandal to make a mound visit to settle Michael down. Steve added, it didn't have to be Katz and to just send Grandal out to settle him down. You could clearly see Kopech was visibly bothered. Neither Grandal or Katz went to the mound. Next up was Polanco. Since Kopech wasn't in the right mindset because of no Katz or Grandal mound visit, Michael threw 4 straight balls and walked Polanco. Now there are runners on 1st and 2nd with only one out. Ok now Pedro wakes up and sends Katz out to the mound to talk to Michael. 

2. In the top of the 9th inning after Vaughn walked and Hamilton came in to pitch run and then stole second, Eloy had a hard ground ball out to the third baseman and Hamilton got to 3rd due to a dumb mental error of the third baseman not looking Hamilton back. Now with only one out and Hamilton on third, they intentionally walked Robert. At this point why in the hell didn't Pedro send Robert to steal second? With Hamilton's speed there is no way the catcher makes a throw. The Twins pulled all four infielders in and Steve Stone said to Benetti, Robert could jog to second as the Twins would obviously not throw to second with the infield in. With one out, you would much rather see our two fastest runners on 2nd and third with Haseley at the plate. The Twins strategy at that point would have changed or at least put more pressure on the pitcher.

Don't tell me it was Pedro being cautious with Robert's hammy. If Robert's hammy wasn't good enough to steal second, then he shouldn't have been in the game period. Imagine earlier in the game if Robert had to run out a tough groundball and you're telling me Robert would have only gone half or 3/4 speed? 

Those were two bonehead mistakes. Where was Pedro's bench coach to help? Was he taking a nap? 

With the wider bags and the one disengagement stepping off the rubber rule, stolen bases are dramatically up in the league. The Dodgers get this and lead the major with 143 stolen bases. Pedro obviously doesn't get this and we are 27th with 78. I know we have some slow guys on this team. Yet there have been several times this year where we haven't sent someone who were fast enough to steal.

The Sox can continue playing better going forward, but that will not get this team improved enough in the standings from this horrible April start, unless Pedro starts making correct situational baseball decisions. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Hawk 1

40 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That was a great walk off win and good to finally win 2 in a row for the first time this season. 

Not be negative and rain on this game, but I got a bone to pick with Grifol. He is still making stupid managerial mistakes that eventually will cost the Sox games.

1. In the top of the 6th inning when Kopech gave up the first hit to Buxton, Steve Stone immediately said, this would be a great time for maybe Grandal to make a mound visit to settle Michael down. Steve added, it didn't have to be Katz and to just send Grandal out to settle him down. You could clearly see Kopech was visibly bothered. Neither Grandal or Katz went to the mound. Next up was Polanco. Since Kopech wasn't in the right mindset because of no Katz or Grandal mound visit, Michael threw 4 straight balls and walked Polanco. Now there are runners on 1st and 2nd with only one out. Ok now Pedro wakes up and sends Katz out to the mound to talk to Michael. 

2. In the top of the 9th inning after Vaughn walked and Hamilton came in to pitch run and then stole second, Eloy had a hard ground ball out to the third baseman and Hamilton got to 3rd due to a dumb mental error of the third baseman not looking Hamilton back. Now only one out and Hamilton on third, they intentionally walked Robert. At this point why in the hell didn't Pedro send Robert to steal second? With Hamilton's speed there is no way the catcher makes a throw. The Twins pulled all four infielders in and Steve Stone said to Benetti, Robert could jog to second as the Twins would obviously not throw to second with the infield in. With one out, you would much rather see our two fastest runners on 2nd and third with Haseley at the plate. The Twins strategy at that point would changed.

Don't tell me it was Pedro being cautious with Robert's hammy. If Robert's hammy wasn't good enough to steal second, then he shouldn't have been in the game period. Imagine earlier in the game if Robert had to run out a tough groundball and you're telling me Robert would have only gone half or 3/4 speed? 

Those were two bonehead mistakes. Where was Pedro's bench coach to help? Was he taking a nap? 

With the wider bags and the one disengagement stepping off the rubber rule, stolen bases are dramatically up in the league. The Dodgers get this and lead the major with 143 stolen bases. Pedro obviously doesn't get this and we are 27th with 78. I know we have some slow guys on this team. Yet there have been several times this year where we haven't sent someone who were fast enough to steal.

The Sox can continue playing better going forward, but that will not get this team improved enough in the standings from this horrible April start, unless Pedro starts making correct situational baseball decisions. 

Despite Robert being able to walk to 2nd and that Billy would've come home on any tag attempt or throw through at 2nd base for the winning run, the only reason I can think of for not running Robert was that there was still only 1 out. I know him running and making it to 2nd would eliminate the GB DP .I don't know if the 1st baseman was holding him on or not but a pick off there would've been bad. Can't get picked off there under any circumstances or else you negate the chance for a SF or a make contact run. The infield would then play back instead of in with 2 outs. Robert not running also eliminates Hamilton getting picked off 3rd on a fake throw to 2nd base by the catcher  and Billy perhaps straying too far off 3rd.

I think a bench coach in that situation could only suggest Robert stealing 2nd but if Pedro was playing it ultra conservatively it wasn't a bonehead move. It was just very conservative and he counted on Haseley not hitting into a DP or hitting a long enough fly ball to get Hamilton home. Of course he also could've tried a suicide or safety squeeze there too. Lot's of ways to play that situation. No idea if Haseley is a competent bunter . Most players aren't asked to be particularly good at that skill anymore.

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Despite Robert being able to walk to 2nd and that Billy would've come home on any tag attempt or throw through at 2nd base for the winning run, the only reason I can think of for not running Robert was that there was still only 1 out. I know him running and making it to 2nd would eliminate the GB DP .I don't know if the 1st baseman was holding him on or not but a pick off there would've been bad. Can't get picked off there under any circumstances or else you negate the chance for a SF or a make contact run. The infield would then play back instead of in with 2 outs. Robert not running also eliminates Hamilton getting picked off 3rd on a fake throw to 2nd base by the catcher  and Billy perhaps straying too far off 3rd.

I think a bench coach in that situation could only suggest Robert stealing 2nd but if Pedro was playing it ultra conservatively it wasn't a bonehead move. It was just very conservative and he counted on Haseley not hitting into a DP or hitting a long enough fly ball to get Hamilton home. Of course he also could've tried a suicide or safety squeeze there too. Lot's of ways to play that situation. No idea if Haseley is a competent bunter . Most players aren't asked to be particularly good at that skill anymore.

He was being conservative which is fine if you have MLB hitters up.  He relied upon Haseley and Alberto.  With those two a gamble with Robert there shouldn't have been viewed as risky. Especially with Hamilton on base.  Grifol has  way too much faith in Alberto.  

Hamilton is a great base runner use that to your advantage.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I will remove the bonehead harsh term, but with all due respect, I'm sorry it was a managerial situational baseball mistake, I watched the game later last night as I always do, to be able to zoom through all the commercials. As a result, I still have the game recorded and I just re-watched the play. I can assure you the first baseman is several feet in and not even close to Robert attempting to hold him on. Likewise the 2nd baseman and SS also were way in and not even close to the second base bag. There was zero possibility of a pick off. Anyone who has the game recorded, or go find it on YouTube will see this. Consequently your point of a possible pickoff on Robert is not correct or valid. 

Pedro should have made the call for Robert to steal second and yes a bench coach can only offer advice, but that was the advice the bench coach needed to give Pedro. Again you are forgetting that stealing today is so much easier than ever before.

Btw, I am not suggesting that Hamilton would have attempted to go home. The fact is, no throw would have been made to second by the Twins catcher and the Sox would now have runners on 2nd and 3rd with only one out and no chance of a double play. Even with Robert stealing second and the catcher throw down to second, there would no  way Hamilton goes home. The Twins were conceding the steal. 

If the Sox are going to make up serious ground, then we need a manager who makes smart decisions and isn't so ultra conservative.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Can't read Grifol's mind, but my thought was he liked the current matchup at the plate. If Robert steals, they walk the current batter.

My memory sucks, but I believe it would have been Grandal. 

43 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I will remove the bonehead harsh term, but with all due respect, I'm sorry it was a managerial situational baseball mistake, I watched the game later last night as I always do, to be able to zoom through all the commercials. As a result, I still have the game recorded and I just re-watched the play. I can assure you the first baseman is several feet in and not even close to Robert attempting to hold him on. Likewise the 2nd baseman and SS also were way in and not even close to the second base bag. There was zero possibility of a pick off. Anyone who has the game recorded, or go find it on YouTube will see this. Consequently your point of a possible pickoff on Robert is not correct or valid. 

Pedro should have made the call for Robert to steal second and yes a bench coach can only offer advice, but that was the advice the bench coach needed to give Pedro. Again you are forgetting that stealing today is so much easier than ever before.

Btw, I am not suggesting that Hamilton would have attempted to go home. The fact is, no throw would have been made to second by the Twins catcher and the Sox would now have runners on 2nd and 3rd with only one out and no chance of a double play. Even with Robert stealing second and the catcher throw down to second, there would no  way Hamilton goes home. The Twins were conceding the steal. 

If the Sox are going to make up serious ground, then we need a manager who makes smart decisions and isn't so ultra conservative.

I am not forgetting it's easier now to steal bases. It's why I was looking for speedy players in the off season. I made a point of selecting players with speed, defense, power and LHH to take advantage of all the new rules. Also there are pick off attempts that can come from a catcher so even if a 1st baseman is playing in with the drawn in infield he can always back up and take a throw from the catcher.

I agree he should have stolen 2nd . Grifol ran his guys a lot in ST and maybe even in the earlier part of the season and the Sox did very well.

The Sox are still 2nd in baseball in SB success percentage at 90.5%

You also said this "The Dodgers get this and lead the major with 143 stolen bases. Pedro obviously doesn't get this and we are 27th with 78." I ignored it the 1st time but those are not SB stats they are Walk stats (bases on balls). The actual league leader in SB is the Pirates with 42, a far cry from 143. The Sox are 16th with 19 . I think most of those came fairly early. Since the 10 game losing streak I think he's just been trying to save outs and not give them away . Also Anderson got injured and he was leading the team with 5. Robert only has 1 . Not making excuses for him. I love me some steals and hit and runs  but we haven't been using those weapons very much lately mainly because of not wanting to run ourselves into DP's maybe.

I think maybe a red light should've gone off in your head thinking the league leaders in team steals was 143 with only 30 games or so played so far or being 27th with 78 an average of more than 2 steals a game.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, Slayer12 said:

Can't read Grifol's mind, but my thought was he liked the current matchup at the plate. If Robert steals, they walk the current batter.

Haseley was up and he popped up. I'm pretty sure Alberto was next and grounded out. I'm sure he did like the match up . Haseley probably was facing a RHP  ( that's where my memory fails me) and Alberto being RH would be facing a RH so you still also bring up a good point. So if Robert steals they walk Haseley and face Alberto with bases loaded 1 out.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I am not forgetting it's easier now to steal bases. It's why I was looking for speedy players in the off season. I made a point of selecting players with speed, defense, power and LHH to take advantage of all the new rules. Also there are pick off attempts that can come from a catcher so even if a 1st baseman is playing in with the drawn in infield he can always back up and take a throw from the catcher.

I agree he should have stolen 2nd . Grifol ran his guys a lot in ST and maybe even in the earlier part of the season and the Sox did very well.

The Sox are still 2nd in baseball in SB success percentage at 90.5%

You also said this "The Dodgers get this and lead the major with 143 stolen bases. Pedro obviously doesn't get this and we are 27th with 78." I ignored it the 1st time but those are not SB stats they are Walk stats (bases on balls). The actual league leader in SB is the Pirates with 42, a far cry from 143. The Sox are 16th with 19 . I think most of those came fairly early. Since the 10 game losing streak I think he's just been trying to save outs and not give them away . Also Anderson got injured and he was leading the team with 5. Robert only has 1 . Not making excuses for him. I love me some steals and hit and runs  but we haven't been using those weapons very much lately mainly because of not wanting to run ourselves into DP's maybe.

You're right and I apologize, I hit the wrong column. That is on me and my mistake . Having said that, the Pirates are also 20-10 tied for best record in NL and 3rd best in MLB. Maybe one of reasons they are winning. You're right I was using the walks stat, which as we know, the Sox suck at. That is neither here nor there, but we can debate the Sox lack of plate discipline and few walks another time.

The point of my post was you were trying to defend Pedro that he didn't make a bonehead mistake with his non steal attempt, or that he screwed up after the first Kopech hit not sending our Grandal. The fact is they were both mistakes.

I believe this forum has been quite adamant and consistent that Grifol as a rookie manager from a major losing organization was a bad hire. If you want to be the contrarian and tell us how good Pedro is, then fine, be my guest. 

5 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

2. In the top of the 9th inning after Vaughn walked and Hamilton came in to pitch run and then stole second, Eloy had a hard ground ball out to the third baseman and Hamilton got to 3rd due to a dumb mental error of the third baseman not looking Hamilton back. Now with only one out and Hamilton on third, they intentionally walked Robert. At this point why in the hell didn't Pedro send Robert to steal second? With Hamilton's speed there is no way the catcher makes a throw. The Twins pulled all four infielders in and Steve Stone said to Benetti, Robert could jog to second as the Twins would obviously not throw to second with the infield in. With one out, you would much rather see our two fastest runners on 2nd and third with Haseley at the plate. The Twins strategy at that point would have changed or at least put more pressure on the pitcher.

I thought he managed the 9th well.

I didn't like bringing Colome in late and close, nor sacrificing Burger's bat for defense with Colome on the mound.  Not like Hanser is much of an upgrade, anyway.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I thought he managed the 9th well.

I didn't like bringing Colome in late and close, nor sacrificing Burger's bat for defense with Colome on the mound.  Not like Hanser is much of an upgrade, anyway.

My concern was not with Pedro's handling of Sox pitching in the 9th, it was Pedro's handling of the bottom of the 9th with Sox batting.

I had no problem with Pedro bring in Colome in the 9th and definitely happy he yanked him before any further damage.

Btw, putting Hanser in for Burger was not necessarily a good defensive choice as you are pointing out. Everyone is ripping Burger for his defense. So far this season Hanser Alberto in 10 games and 15 TC's has two errors and no double plays. Burger in 19 games and 38 TC's has only one error and been in 4 double plays which he started.

The worst thing that Pedro did in sacrificing Burger's bat for defense actually backfired on Pedro. With the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, it was Hanser at the plate instead of Burger. Of course Hanser ended the inning with a weak flyout .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slayer12 said:

I would rather see Haseley walked than watching him hit a weak flyball that couldn't get Hamilton home.

You're right the next batter was Grandal after Haseley that would have loaded the bases with only one out. Grandal btw walked. There is no doubt Grandal is very inconsistent hitting, but he does take walks as well as anyone of this horrible team, that are one of the worst in the league in taking walks. Who knows, with only one out and the bases loaded, I think pitching to Grandal poses some major stress to the Twins pitcher, especially with Hamilton on 3rd base.