Sox gear

4 hours ago, Pale Sox said:

I always found this funny in the movie bc they had Eazy wearing this hat in the 80’s before it ever came out. 

In the song “La La Land” by The Game he goes through mlb hats and what gang they’re affiliated with. No White Sox mentioned.

I seem to remember an interview with Ice Cube how he mentioned the Sox hat was popular bc it was gang neutral and could be worn anywhere. 

Eazy E was a crip that is why they wore it. That is just a confirmed fact. If you scroll up and look at the interview with his son, he explains it. Snoop was also a crip

18 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

What’s that have to do with LA county?

What does that have to do with the Sox hat being a popular fashion brand as the OP is asking? That brand extends well beyond Chicago and LA but also popular in those places for similar reasons. 

2 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

What does that have to do with the Sox hat being a popular fashion brand as the OP is asking? That brand extends well beyond Chicago and LA but also popular in those places for similar reasons. 

OP was asking why he sees large amounts people wearing in southern california specifically, which I take to mean LA County since that is where it is worn in high numbers. Obviously people in Barcelona are not likely to be the same people in LA

22 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

While we're on the topic of Sox gear, anyone notice how expensive baseball merchandise is getting? (blah blah inflation, I get it)

I buy a lot of 47 Brand hats for all sorts of teams but I particularly look for any of their new hats with old Sox logos. They have a non-fitted hat for $50! And other regular hats are $40. Feels like a few years ago they were only $25. 

/old man rant of a 30-something

Honestly it's so weird because of the streetwear drops being taken in by marketing for these brands. A snapback tied to a limited edition drop could be 50, but a classic, fitted sox will be like 35 or 32 even. Just a lot of "collector mindset" they market to now with pricing.

11 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Eazy E was a crip that is why they wore it. That is just a confirmed fact. If you scroll up and look at the interview with his son, he explains it. Snoop was also a crip

I forgot that the Sox hat is blue.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I get it, you all want to pretend your living in disneyland when you are in fact living in a world of criminal enterprise from the street to high rise. Even your law enforcement, judges, lawyers have gang affiliations

You're going off the rails a bit here. No one denies that the Sox hat was popular with reputed gang members, particularly in the 90s. It has expanded well beyond that into a somewhat popular fashion piece of the masses since. I have no idea how any of this is a controversial take.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I get it, you all want to pretend your living in disneyland when you are in fact living in a world of criminal enterprise from the street to high rise. Even your law enforcement, judges, lawyers have gang affiliations

*you're

• Haha 1

It’s not particular to the nineties. Gangster rap breaking into mainstream was particular to the nineties but the gangs persist. Yeah I was going off the rails there, but quin denying sox hat is even affiliated with crips, for example, when it is a matter of fact, just shows people are in denial on the subject. LA county and Lake county each have approximate gang numbers of 150k each. Then you have many more affiliated with the gangs but not members, ie their women, managers, businessmen, etc. Then you have the white collar criminal organizations and gang infiltrated justice system that allows it to persist. That’s why you have mobs everywhere who think they can get away with anything because they allowed to do so. Same in LA

23 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

You're going off the rails a bit here. No one denies that the Sox hat was popular with reputed gang members, particularly in the 90s. It has expanded well beyond that into a somewhat popular fashion piece of the masses since. I have no idea how any of this is a controversial take.

The only answer is that the team reverts to the beach blankets full time.

Do you think it was just simply a bad idea when Lightfoot decided to stop enforcing the law? You’re absolutely saturated from the top to the bottom is the fact of the matter. It’s true of all of america, but LA county and Lake county in particular are basically lost to it, that is the cold reality. You’ve got the foxes guarding the hen houses and they are all in cahoots

8 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Do you think it was just simply a bad idea when Lightfoot decided to stop enforcing the law? You’re absolutely saturated from the top to the bottom is the fact of the matter. It’s true of all of america, but LA county and Lake county in particular are basically lost to it, that is the cold reality. You’ve got the foxes guarding the hen houses and they are all in cahoots

Sir this is a Wendy's

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, bmags said:

Honestly it's so weird because of the streetwear drops being taken in by marketing for these brands. A snapback tied to a limited edition drop could be 50, but a classic, fitted sox will be like 35 or 32 even. Just a lot of "collector mindset" they market to now with pricing.

*keeping this thread on Sox apparel and not white collar crime for a moment*

Yep, the $50 hat I was looking at was the "limited edition" 1917 hat. I want it, but that's stupid steep for just ... a hat.

And on that topic of collector mindset, I know they're catering to younger folks with their branding new releases as "latest drop" and all, but maybe start releasing normal hats that someone over the age of 22 wouldn't be embarrassed to wear.

I'm torn between "grow the game and the fanbase!" and "these are all dumb, give me something an adult can wear."

43 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Yep, the $50 hat I was looking at was the "limited edition" 1917 hat. I want it, but that's stupid steep for just ... a hat.

And on that topic of collector mindset, I know they're catering to younger folks with their branding new releases as "latest drop" and all, but maybe start releasing normal hats that someone over the age of 22 wouldn't be embarrassed to wear.

I'm torn between "grow the game and the fanbase!" and "these are all dumb, give me something an adult can wear."

I mostly can’t stand it but every once in a while they nail one.

50 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

If we're talking about New Era's hats, they are generally just trash.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I call it fake scarcity. It's the newest scam to jack up prices. We've mass produced everything too successfully. So now we have to give the illusion of scarcity. You see it in everything, from pizza to baseball hats.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I call it fake scarcity. It's the newest scam to jack up prices. We've mass produced everything too successfully. So now we have to give the illusion of scarcity. You see it in everything, from pizza to baseball hats.

Definitely the case with most collectibles.  New Era fitted caps in theme-inspired color combinations and random patches now go for up to $60 from certain boutiques in smaller quantities that instantly sell out and then $150+ resale.  It's definitely entrenched in that limited edition streetwear culture right now.  It'll die down eventually though...but the cost of a basic New Era Sox cap is at about $45 and only going up.  And of course, the quality has gone down significantly, especially since they are no longer made in the USA.

• Like 1

Can’t tell if we just sound old lol. That said my Sox hat is 7 years old. I mostly lose them and have to replace them, so unless they hire people to steal my caps, probably the next best thing is they make tons of different limited time versions to excite me. It works in F1 way too well…stupid mclaren

Unrelated to hats, related to gear:

I saw Jenna's Jersey Shop recommended on the Sox reddit as a site for jerseys and they have customizable Field of Dreams ones, which you cannot get anymore.

Debating who I'd get. TA would be the obvious choice, but I've got him as my Southside jersey.

Jose broke it open and is always gonna be a Sox legend, so he'd be a good choice.

Thoughts?