Should they even play the last two games of this series?

CentralChamps21

https://theathletic.com/4588330/2023/06/07/yankees-canadian-wildfire-smoke/

The National Weather Service had issued an air quality alert that extended until midnight Wednesday, warning of “widespread haze” and “patchy smoke.”

According to a major-league source late Tuesday, there hadn’t been any talks about potentially postponing Wednesday’s game, despite potentially hazardous air quality levels.

Westervelt said he wasn’t worried whether Yankees or White Sox players would be affected much by the poor air quality, considering they’re mostly young and in shape. But he said some people, particularly young children, older people and those with respiratory or heart conditions are “definitely going to notice the ill effects from this poor air quality.”

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yes. Flukey weather and injuries favor us (the bad team), against a contender. We are at the try to steal wins from good teams portion of the schedule. 

Who cares about being able to breathe good air?

It's fucking sepia toned outside my office window and I can't see buildings past a few blocks. It'd be asinine to play.

• Like 2

So the AQI is around 160 for most of NYC. I don't want to come across as insensitive but Seattle had levels in the 250s before a game was cancelled. Having lived through many smoke seasons now in Seattle I can tell you that levels in the 160-200 range are annoying (eyes will sting a bit), but not so bad that I would change out door plans. When it gets over 200 is when it becomes hazardous for even healthy people and 250 or above is "stay inside".

Of course long term it's not good to be breathing in particulates but as far as acute risks there's almost zero at the current levels in NYC.

Here is an article that explains it pretty well: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/sports/baseball/seattle-mariners-postponed-wildfires-smoke.html

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

So the AQI is around 160 for most of NYC. I don't want to come across as insensitive but Seattle had levels in the 250s before a game was cancelled. Having lived through many smoke seasons now in Seattle I can tell you that levels in the 160-200 range are annoying (eyes will sting a bit), but not so bad that I would change out door plans. When it gets over 200 is when it becomes hazardous for even healthy people and 250 or above is "stay inside".

Of course long term it's not good to be breathing in particulates but as far as acute risks there's almost zero at the current levels in NYC.

Here is an article that explains it pretty well: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/sports/baseball/seattle-mariners-postponed-wildfires-smoke.html

It's currently 234 in the Bronx and supposed to get worse as the day goes on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's currently 234 in the Bronx and supposed to get worse as the day goes on.

If that's the case, cancel the games. I can say from experience that certain neighborhoods will get hit worse than others based on wind patterns and micro climates. If it's that bad in the Bronx, screw it, as much for the fans as the players. People shouldn't be needlessly out in that haze.

39 minutes ago, Quin said:

Who cares about being able to breathe good air?

It's fucking sepia toned outside my office window and I can't see buildings past a few blocks. It'd be asinine to play.

You went to work. So play ball. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Thanks 1