Things that drive you crazy when watch/listen to games

Dan Pasqua

Boy, a lot of people bothered by little, silly stuff. 

I’m perfectly ok with . . . 

Sox math. I like the pictures people who win send. It’s a tradition and breaks up the game.
the Nationwide jingle/ song. It’s a commercial just like any other one.

Jessica Mendoza last night. She seemed to know what she was talking about, which isn’t always the case with some announcers, too often female ones.

Gordon Beckham. Is he as good as Stoney? No, but he’s solid and a nice change of pace. I know many on here disagree with that. 

Now what drives me crazy:
I know that Stoney and Jason can’t tell us when it’s obvious the team is just plan being bad and uninterested. But what drives me crazy is when the Sox are facing a bad, bad pitcher, a pitcher who has been hit really hard his last few games or even all season. And yet, the Sox can’t get a hit or walk or anything due to lack of interest and terrible plate disciple. 

I know Jason and Stone can’t say stuff like, “How can he swing at that?” or “That was a pathetic at bat for Yoan”.

But it drives me crazy when Steve and Jason talk about “what great stuff” the pitcher has tonight. They go on and on about how great this garbage pitcher is tonight, like he’s Cy Fricken Young. I understand they can’t bad mouth the Sox, but don’t lie to us all night telling us it’s this bad pitcher suddenly being great, when it’s obvious to us viewers that the Sox are just sucking up tonight at the plate.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Boy, a lot of people bothered by little, silly stuff. 

I’m perfectly ok with . . . 

Sox math. I like the pictures people who win send. It’s a tradition and breaks up the game.
the Nationwide jingle/ song. It’s a commercial just like any other one.

Jessica Mendoza last night. She seemed to know what she was talking about, which isn’t always the case with some announcers, too often female ones.

Gordon Beckham. Is he as good as Stoney? No, but he’s solid and a nice change of pace. I know many on here disagree with that. 

Now what drives me crazy:
I know that Stoney and Jason can’t tell us when it’s obvious the team is just plan being bad and uninterested. But what drives me crazy is when the Sox are facing a bad, bad pitcher, a pitcher who has been hit really hard his last few games or even all season. And yet, the Sox can’t get a hit or walk or anything due to lack of interest and terrible plate disciple. 

I know Jason and Stone can’t say stuff like, “How can he swing at that?” or “That was a pathetic at bat for Yoan”.

But it drives me crazy when Steve and Jason talk about “what great stuff” the pitcher has tonight. They go on and on about how great this garbage pitcher is tonight, like he’s Cy Fricken Young. I understand they can’t bad mouth the Sox, but don’t lie to us all night telling us it’s this bad pitcher suddenly being great, when it’s obvious to us viewers that the Sox are just sucking up tonight at the plate.

DJ is much better about calling the team/players out when they are not playing well imo.

And the Nationwide jingle is a commercial that sucks and needs to go away....it is like a Saturday Night Live skit that beats a dead joke over and over and over again...would you like it if they sang the Kars4Kids jingle every game?? It's just a commercial after all.

30 minutes ago, wegner said:

DJ is much better about calling the team/players out when they are not playing well imo.

And the Nationwide jingle is a commercial that sucks and needs to go away....it is like a Saturday Night Live skit that beats a dead joke over and over and over again...would you like it if they sang the Kars4Kids jingle every game?? It's just a commercial after all.

NYY radio side is Kars4Kids every half inning...

Phillies radio color commentator just said that "he told the guy last night that he just wanted him to stay hard"  😂. I'm like really?   That's some s%*# that Harry & Jimmy would've ran with for innings on end.  

• Haha 2

The term disengagement                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Benetti describing every pitch by type.  Took me awhile to realize they were computer generated and he was reading.                                                                                                          Constant promos                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Lack of subtitles when Ozzie talks                                                              

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Yes, at least that's for a charitable, 501c3 organization that's been pretty well-regarded for decades now.

• TLR 1

2 hours ago, MikeKreevich said:

The term disengagement                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Benetti describing every pitch by type.  Took me awhile to realize they were computer generated and he was reading.                                                                                                          Constant promos                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Lack of subtitles when Ozzie talks                                                              

The formatting of this post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Yes, at least that's for a charitable, 501c3 organization that's been pretty well-regarded for decades now.

I'm not sure if you are joking or serious....so I gave you the LaRussa emoji since I'm not sure how that one works.

12 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

People apparently aren't noticing that Stone never eats the food

He's watching his figure and getting in shape for the relaunch of Playgirl magazine's Men Of The Booth issue this fall.

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm not sure if you are joking or serious....so I gave you the LaRussa emoji since I'm not sure how that one works.

They were one of our "charitable umbrella benefactors" when I worked as a program director for a national non-profit from 1998-2002.

Good group of people.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Big Hurtin said:

This so much, and it goes beyond games, even beyond sports.  I hate all instances of it.

Another one is when they are doing an interview while the game is being played, thus not even showing the action.

Also, not sure if it's ESPN or FOX, but whoever does the mic'ing of players while they are playing needs to stop.

"The umpires in the stands..."  A. They aren't umpires.  B. They are biased and their opinion is irrelevant.

"The pitcher wanted that one..."  Really?, you don't say

I feel like a lot of this is just filling the open air, which they’re supposed to do haha. It’s like small talk. Without it, it’s like the back-up announcer in Major League. Flyball…caught.