6/16- Sox at Mariners, 9:10, Apple TV

flavum

14 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Grifol post game comments were embarrassing 

I cringed on one of his recent post games..."I know people don't want to hear it, but we just have to flush this one and move on." But you know what Pedro? I can't really forget that you lost a game because you didn't have your 3B guarding the line late like almost everyone else would.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

With the right people in charge it can happen, in 1970 the Sox went 56-106, in 1971 they improved by 23 games and finished 79-83 and in 1972 they almost won the division finishing 87-67 in a season shortened by the players strike at the beginning of the season.

Yes 89 to 90....1998-99 to 2000. 

But look at all the talent those two teams had, particularly the 1990 team that would go on to be the memorable 1993-94 team. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, wegner said:

I cringed on one of his recent post games..."I know people don't want to hear it, but we just have to flush this one and move on." But you know what Pedro? I can't really forget that you lost a game because you didn't have your 3B guarding the line late like almost everyone else would.

Not defending Pedro, but not guarding the line made sense in that scenario.

There were two outs, single ties the game with the runner on second.

If the runner was on first, I'm with you. If there were less than two outs and nobody on, to prevent a big inning and the tying run to reach second, I'm with you. In the actual scenario, I want the players positioned to get the final out at first and go home.

Steve Stone said the positioning was correct. James Fegan said the positioning was correct. I thought the same thing before and after reading the angst here.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No walks & 16 strikeouts . been watching the game a long time, and i've never seen that . launch angle is all well and good, but it means little if there is no one on base to score runs . take walks, work the count, and go the other way, whatever happened to that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Not close to Hall of Famer Aparicio, Looie was one of the best fielding shortstops in the history of the game and also had tons of stolen bases, Anderson couldn’t touch Aparicio’s glove.

Unfortunately modern day nasenall and fans have no appreciation for players like that.  They need to have at least 20 homeruns. 

In modern day baseball Mark B is what I would consider a Famer.  He got people out not throwing hard.  Great at fielding and one of the best pitchers in the stretch.  He was fundamentally sound.

I'm starting to disiike modern baseball.  One pf the reasons is the high injury rate among the league.

2 hours ago, White Sox Park said:

No walks & 16 strikeouts . been watching the game a long time, and i've never seen that . launch angle is all well and good, but it means little if there is no one on base to score runs . take walks, work the count, and go the other way, whatever happened to that.

That sums up why we are the worst team in baseball in plate discipline. 

This is such a flawed team with too many selfish players, that possess horrible baseball fundamentals, along with super low baseball IQ's.

The Sox lack of plate discipline equates to the following:

PIT/PA - 3.78 per AB - 30th

BB - 2.45 per game - 30th

OBP - .293 - 30th

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not defending Pedro, but not guarding the line made sense in that scenario.

There were two outs, single ties the game with the runner on second.

If the runner was on first, I'm with you. If there were less than two outs and nobody on, to prevent a big inning and the tying run to reach second, I'm with you. In the actual scenario, I want the players positioned to get the final out at first and go home.

Steve Stone said the positioning was correct. James Fegan said the positioning was correct. I thought the same thing before and after reading the angst here.

I Immediately thought it was wrong and it was the 1st thing Ozzie said in the postgame but it's ok to disagree....they were hitting some rockets off Graveman that inning that is for sure.

21 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Unfortunately modern day nasenall and fans have no appreciation for players like that.  They need to have at least 20 homeruns. 

In modern day baseball Mark B is what I would consider a Famer.  He got people out not throwing hard.  Great at fielding and one of the best pitchers in the stretch.  He was fundamentally sound.

I'm starting to disiike modern baseball.  One pf the reasons is the high injury rate among the league.

It was fun watching Mark Buehrle pitch, You're right one of the best fielders and pick-off moves of all time.

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

Seriously why does TA stink? Remember looking at the box score every day and many many times TA with 2, 3 hits. Now he blows.

Not sure he'll attract much in a trade. No power. Horrific pitch recognition, always been adequate but nothing special at SS. Yikes. Rite now he's a .250 hitter with zero power and no ability to draw walks. Other than that he's Luis Aparicio.

The old TA from 2019-2022 is not the current 2023 TA. We probably know a few of the reasons his game has suffered and why he plays so poorly and unmotivated, but you're right, his trade value will be so much less now, unless we find the one team GM that feels they can get him back to the old TA.  

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

High pitch count...already over 100 before he finished the fifth and that inning was falling apart quickly. 

Seems to be storyline of nearly every game. 

Kopech was at 102 pitches in only 4.1 innings which is really bad.

It's a huge problem for Sox pitchers this year and has been for several years.

Interesting MLB pitching stats:

Pitches per game:

Lynn 99.9 - 3rd

Cease 97.7 - 6th

Kopech 96.6 - 16th

Giolito 95.8 - 19th 

Total Pitches in 2023

Cease 1465 - 3rd

Lynn 1398 - 8th

Kopech 1352 - 18th

Giolito 1341 - 20th

Pitches per inning