Moncada

soxfan49

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Burger deserves a longer look.  We suck, let him play every day

Meh. If anything I think playing every day has exposed his weaknesses.  He’ll smash his share of mistake pitches but he’s not someone you built or rebuild around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Meh. If anything I think playing every day has exposed his weaknesses.  He’ll smash his share of mistake pitches but he’s not someone you built or rebuild around. 

I don't think anyone is advocating he's a build around guy.. But if he could be a 25+ homer guy, with a .800 OPS, he can be a guy we don't need to immediately upgrate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I don't think anyone is advocating he's a build around guy.. But if he could be a 25+ homer guy, with a .800 OPS, he can be a guy we don't need to immediately upgrate.

Jake Burger is 27, and given his body type and injury history, if he can be that player - does he fit the White Sox very well? If they’re bad for the next 2 seasons, are we confident he can still be productive at age 30?

30 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Cool, he can be the rebuild DH while he's cheap.  I still don't think his bat plays as an everyday player and the more ABs he gets the more he seems to prove that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Jake Burger is 27, and given his body type and injury history, if he can be that player - does he fit the White Sox very well? If they’re bad for the next 2 seasons, are we confident he can still be productive at age 30?

No idea.. but that's why I give him a shot

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Cool, he can be the rebuild DH while he's cheap.  I still don't think his bat plays as an everyday player and the more ABs he gets the more he seems to prove that.

I think backup 1B/3B and then most of his at bats against lefties is a role for him.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I think backup 1B/3B and then most of his at bats against lefties is a role for him.

Emphasis on backup, and I agree.  Likable dude who you root for with his injury history, but I've seen enough to believe he isn't an everyday guy.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think you're right. I mean people can say he's getting exposed and they could be right or the amount of MLB AB's may not be sufficient to determine his future worth.

Schwarber was non tendered by the Cubs after a bad season with injuries after his age 27 season because they didn't want to pay him $8M.  Schwarber walked a lot though and that helped his OPS .

It sucks Burger has missed so much development time so now it might be hard to keep an .800 OPS without taking a good amount of walks and we don't know if that 'll ever happen. Also helps that Schwarber is LH and Burger has to do well against RHP if he's going to be any good.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

39 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I highlight this because I think Burger is a guy who could be tradeable right now. For example, the Brewers are bottom 5 in MLB in production from both DH and 3b, they’re one game out of the wild card, this is a spot where he could be a solid fit. There are other teams like the Yankees that could need help there also. Normally I wouldn’t be wanting to trade a guy with this amount of control, but I think Burger isn’t likely to be that useful when the White Sox are next competitive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I highlight this because I think Burger is a guy who could be tradeable right now. For example, the Brewers are bottom 5 in MLB in production from both DH and 3b, they’re one game out of the wild card, this is a spot where he could be a solid fit. There are other teams like the Yankees that could need help there also. Normally I wouldn’t be wanting to trade a guy with this amount of control, but I think Burger isn’t likely to be that useful when the White Sox are next competitive.

Yep, I think this is EXACTLY the time you wave Burger around, as a power bat for contending teams.

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Yep, I think this is EXACTLY the time you wave Burger around, as a power bat for contending teams.

Probably right but that means he has to play then. He think's he fixed his recent problems but then again Andrus thought he found something last year in the 2nd half too.  In Andrus case it might've been just talk talk trying to get a new contract but maybe he thought he had found something. Hasn't carried over , thats for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 4:52 AM, Balta1701 said:

Just trade them Jimenez before he gets hurt yet again.

No way they pick up some of those more expensive option years.

• Haha 1