Burger To Marlins

DirtySox

Just now, bmags said:

I do wonder if Jake can find more walks with better tools. Maybe marlins are that now not sure. 

But if he can, then he's a right handed schwarber. Just absolutely torches balls. 

If he does find a way to better his approach and take walks the Sox will end up losing this trade by a mile.  

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

If he does find a way to better his approach and take walks the Sox will end up losing this trade by a mile.  

100 percent but we all know that s%*# wasn't going to happen with the Sox anyways cause White Sox.

• Thanks 1

Just now, bmags said:

I do wonder if Jake can find more walks with better tools. Maybe marlins are that now not sure. 

But if he can, then he's a right handed schwarber. Just absolutely torches balls. 

His slugging numbers are going to be very hard to maintain over the course of his career unless his approach at the plate changes and he manages to get on base more.

I am more than fine with the move. He could easily be Galvin Sheets in a couple of years unless he figures out to have more plate discpline.

For that we got a front-line pitching prospect.

• Like 1

Just now, whitesoxfan99 said:

yes. But if he doesn't, he'll be in chris carter limbo as soon as he is in decent arb money.

And if Eder, who is really exciting and seems to just be tapping the surface, succeeds than the sox win.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 4:07 PM, Timmy U said:

Probably a fair return. Interesting culturally, though. We've heard the locker room is toxic, but some of the guys they've shipped out (Gio, Burger, ReyLo) are all reputed good guys, while TA, Moncada, and Grandal are still in place. Strange.

Yeah the brilliance of the genius Hahn to force out the guys like Gio and Burger with great attitudes and keep the toxic cancer of TA, Moncada and Grandal! 

Here is a novel idea, why don't they get rid of the GM and his front office toxic culture. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

They're pretty much eliminating anyone for fans to cheer for in 2024 other than Robert...

How many season tickets are buying or not buying over the likes of Cease and Bummer?

Maybe Anderson for some...but they're practically begging for Burger to continue proving them wrong.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Kinda bummed? Easy guy to root for.

Me too. But I learned a long time ago that business is business. He should be playing 3rd base for the Marlins. They've nothing out of Segura.

Eder was pitching great in AA before TJ and now that he's back his last 2 starts were pretty good.

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

It was either him or Eloy, man.

Really hard to say at this point if this was the best return available to Hahn for Burger, but it makes sense to trade Burger at his likely high value point. He's 27, so don't understand the comparisons to 25 year old Vaughn, who played at the ML level for three years at this point whereas Burger was injured and then after recovering not considered good enough to play beyond the 15 games in 2021.

Still think they should move Eloy this offseason, as well as just about everyone else, and make 2026 the next 2020.

I hope this pitcher and Burger both end up having great years ahead of them. Burger had a great few months here, and made a lot of otherwise unlistenable games enjoyable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

His slugging numbers are going to be very hard to maintain over the course of his career unless his approach at the plate changes and he manages to get on base more.

I am more than fine with the move. He could easily be Galvin Sheets in a couple of years unless he figures out to have more plate discpline.

For that we got a front-line pitching prospect.

I don't recall Gavin ever being Top Ten in homers for all of MLB at any point in his career.

• Like 3

Just now, The Kids Can Play said:

Yeah the brilliance of the genius Hahn to force out the guys like Gio and Burger with great attitudes and keep the toxic cancer of TA, Moncada and Grandal! 

Her is a novel idea, why don't they get rid of the GM and his front office toxic culture. 

I wanted to move Tim but look at Dejong return the value isn't there. Teams want guys who have been playing well for their title run.

Rays severely overpaid for control on a guy who is unlikely to replicate his current season moving forward. If they can fix his approach great all the more power to them but I'll take my chances on a frontline pitching prospect over a 27 year old 1B/DH whose approach at the plate needs work.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Montgomery 

Then we have a SS problem.

If you're going to build a team correctly, you need to shore up catcher and middle infield first.

If they were actually considering Sal Perez...it means they're trying to compete and rebuild at the same time.

Seems to me we have already watched that show on a loop from 2007-2019.

34 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Kinda bummed? Easy guy to root for.

He was extremely fun to root for, but then we shouldn't be shocked. The POS owner could give a rat's ass about the fans and what they like or want to root for. Plus the owner's GM is a complete idiot completely over his head. 

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Her is a novel idea, why don't they get rid of the GM and his front office toxic culture. 

There is no interest in the three players you mentioned. He moved the players other teams wanted and would pay a premium.

Both deals make sense at this stage, one of the few areas I can agree Hahn made the right calls over his tenure, same with selling off what he did in 2016.

That said, a new EVP/GM should be hired this offseason to put the rest of the pieces together, something Hahn is clearly unable to do.

• Like 1

I'll miss Burger; and I particularly appreciate that he played with energy.
I have found it strange throughout this trade period  that a player with his power and  control was  at or near the top of the Sox'  "we'd like to trade him" list,  after the contract expirees.

Hopefully, the Sox got a strong return.

• Like 3