8/12 Games

BamaDoc

So my optimism is telling me that Charlotte blows because that's where the Hostetler draftees reside (as well as a weak cast of AAAA players, the best of which are now with the big club).  Birmingham was terrible for the same reason, but is getting better because the Shirley draftees are moving in.  And the Shirley drafts are really showing in A and A+ ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

So my optimism is telling me that Charlotte blows because that's where the Hostetler draftees reside (as well as a weak cast of AAAA players, the best of which are now with the big club).  Birmingham was terrible for the same reason, but is getting better because the Shirley draftees are moving in.  And the Shirley drafts are really showing in A and A+ ball.

Seems like it. I'd really like to see the Sox cycle that dead weight at AAA/on the 40 man more. Put in claims on every DFA and release and see what you can do.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

2 homers and a lot of hard contact off Bush these first two innings. Fastball sitting at 91 per the announcer.

Caminero is gonna be really good so let's ignore that one...at least his strikeout stuff looks good. 8 hits, 3 walks, 6 ER looks less good...

I think Popeye is a better prospect than his ranking. 45 grade power is dead wrong

Caminero has 2 HR in the game. The first one was a rocket. The second one got into a jet stream blowing out to right. Bush had moments with his breaking stuff of looking pretty good. If he gets his velo back up closer to what it was in college (or even last year) you can imagine him as a back end starter. Currently, he's much more of an up and down guy.  No way he's a Top Ten guy in their system like Pipeline claims. For my money Cannon > Bush, Mena > Bush, and personally McDougal > Bush albeit with a lot of risk.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Jacob Gonzalez has 1 xbh in 14 games.  No bueno.

I was super busy around draft time, so I didn’t follow it as closely as usual.  What exactly is Gonzalez supposed to be good at?  I watch highlights of his swing and he looks bad.  I know James believes draft year minor league performance doesn’t matter, but my opinion is you want to see hard contact being made.

16 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Jacob Gonzalez has 1 xbh in 14 games.  No bueno.

Think a future Sox podcast talked with the A ball announcer. He mentioned they were working on his swing and he was inside outing everything the other way. Thought his profile said his power was often via pulling so that may explain lack of extra bases. 

here is link if anyone interested, if this is not allowed another mod can delete 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwikhcW5y9iAAxVDl4kEHVm6DkYQFnoECBMQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsoxmachine.com%2F2023%2F08%2Ffuturesox-podcast-ft-dan-helotie-of-the-kannapolis-cannon-ballers-checking-in-on-the-top-white-sox-prospects-in-single-a%2F&usg=AOvVaw0GHJe2SeNdF5NnUr8zLwFS&opi=89978449

Edited by BamaDoc
Added crazy link

It's very strange that they started a swing change so soon.  Usually teams let first year guys (especially top picks) go out and play then if they need to make swing adjustments do it during instructs so they can work on them during the off season.  I have no idea why they would start that process immediately after the draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

I was super busy around draft time, so I didn’t follow it as closely as usual.  What exactly is Gonzalez supposed to be good at?  I watch highlights of his swing and he looks bad.  I know James believes draft year minor league performance doesn’t matter, but my opinion is you want to see hard contact being made.

He's good at making contact and picking it up and throwing it to 1B.  Outside that your guess is as good as mine. 

47 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

It's very strange that they started a swing change so soon.  Usually teams let first year guys (especially top picks) go out and play then if they need to make swing adjustments do it during instructs so they can work on them during the off season.  I have no idea why they would start that process immediately after the draft.

Was he the guy who said they showed him advanced swing data when they were checking in on him?