Middleton’s Wife Said The White Sox Kicked His Kids Out Of Daycare

South Side Hit Men

Just in general, it wouldn't surprise me at all if "continuing day care after guys are traded for some amount of time" was a normal thing that MLB teams did to make the shifts associated with trades easier on families. It seems a lot of people are convinced that this would never happen and I'm surprised by how certain they are. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just in general, it wouldn't surprise me at all if "continuing day care after guys are traded for some amount of time" was a normal thing that MLB teams did to make the shifts associated with trades easier on families. It seems a lot of people are convinced that this would never happen and I'm surprised by how certain they are. 

I mean, we're talking about an industry that paid minor leaguers well below minimum wage so would it be that surprising?

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Quin said:

I mean, we're talking about an industry that paid minor leaguers well below minimum wage so would it be that surprising?

No it wouldn't, but it also wouldn't be surprising at all if there was some sort of pool type setup for this, including one arranged by the families who know they need to anticipate such things. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

No it wouldn't, but it also wouldn't be surprising at all if there was some sort of pool type setup for this, including one arranged by the families who know they need to anticipate such things. 

It's just for during games. Why would there be a pool set-up for somewhere you're not going to be?

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

It's just for during games. Why would there be a pool set-up for somewhere you're not going to be?

Because of exactly this kind of thing, where a player has kids and gets traded and it isn't easy and probably doesn't make sense to move the entire family to New York for 8 weeks before becoming a free agent again.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You can hire and build facilities for you employees fairly easily. Now hire and build facilities for guests who may, or may not, need those services.

I agree, it is possible. Consider this, the Yankees are on a road trip, this is just one stop. What are they doing the rest of the time? Why would the league offer day care in former team stadiums but not others? 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because of exactly this kind of thing, where a player has kids and gets traded and it isn't easy and probably doesn't make sense to move the entire family to New York for 8 weeks before becoming a free agent again.

But again, it's for during games. Like aside from this weird exact situation where the Yankees happen to be visiting, why would someone go drop their kids off at Sox stadium at 6pm at night (assuming the Sox are even at home)?  That doesn't make any sense. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Two other scenarios.

Day care could be required by the CBA. It would be defined exactly how it would work.

The Sox are voluntarily doing this. Then they get to set the rules.

There is an amendment in the CBA that says MLB will meet with player reps to discuss this, in the form of an associated letter. It doesn't spell out what was done beyond that, so there could have been some sort of actual agreement on this.

ATTACHMENT 17

Tony C. Clark Executive Director Major League Baseball

Players Association
12 East 49th Street
New York, New York 10017

Dear Tony:

This letter is to confirm our understanding that Major League Baseball will make available its resident security agents to meet with a desig- nated player representative and a Club representative for each of the Clubs to discuss certain issues related to family security at the ball- parks, including but not limited to, player and family parking, family seating and security and family rooms.

Sincerely,

Daniel R. Halem
Deputy Commissioner &

Chief Legal Officer Major League Baseball Office of the Commissione

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Are you thinking this is during the day or just during games? I can't believe many player's with spouses are working a job and needing day care from the team. It seems like it's to make it easier for the spouses to attend games. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Are you thinking this is during the day or just during games? I can't believe many player's with spouses are working a job and needing day care from the team. It seems like it's to make it easier for the spouses to attend games. 

There are numerous ways that this could have been set up, by either teams or the league. Especially when there are 81 games where you have potential out of town guests who could use these sorts of things, there are some obvious reasons why you'd set something up so that families can attend games and have facilities available for children. It feels like everyone just said "naw the only way this could possibly exist is if the White Sox ran things their way and they would thus have total right to be jerks to people". They might, but there's a surprising degree of certainty that the player's family is clearly wrong given the knowledge gap.

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The children of visiting players aren’t allowed in the White Sox family daycare. Non story. 

That makes sense, but, these same kids were probably in this daycare often this year. I have a feeling if Middleton had not said anything, they would have watched his kids anyway. Maybe not. There are probably insurance and other issues.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Hawk 1

My job has an on-site child care which is available to me with work discounts and such.  If I got fired or moved to another employer I would not enjoy those benefits anymore.  

this story is weird and incomplete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

My job has an on-site child care which is available to me with work discounts and such.  If I got fired or moved to another employer I would not enjoy those benefits anymore.  

And I do think even if JR or Hahn didn't care, it's likely that an employee at the "runs daycare" level may just be enforcing a rule of "can only accept kids on a list". There's just a lot of scenarios here, and an unlikely one to me is the executives making sure these level of employees (scoreboard keeper, daycare provider) are enforcing their grievances.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

He's made approximately $15,000 for every inning he's pitched in the majors.  Hire a freaking nanny for a few hours.

I get the point. My thing is this guy was just traded. I have no idea how old his kids are, but if they are 3 or 4 they may be friends with other players kids in the daycare. For some reason, when Jim Thome left and came back the next season with the Twins, I have a hard time believing if his kids were 3 or 4 or 5 at the time and he tried to drop them off, they would say no. Technically, maybe it's not allowed, but unless there is some reason like insurance or whatever, it's just something they should have let slide IMO. Too many weird coincidences with Middleton right after popping off. 

Ozzie even agrees with me. Middleton coming out with this stuff did the White Sox a favor. They can deny it all they want. Make all the excuses, but they need to learn. Lynn corroborated what he said. Others who have left have said some things. A good organization, or an organization that wants to be good , learns from it. The ones mired in mediocrity at best, get all defensive, and work on excuses for when the next guy says something. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Good lord are we really sitting around discussing the policies around the White Sox daycare? Anyone have the scoop on how often they disenfect the toys or if they have organic low sugar juice box options? Good lord Hahn and company need to be fired yesterday. I want to talk about exciting White Sox baseball again before I'm in a wheelchair at a retirement home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

And I do think even if JR or Hahn didn't care, it's likely that an employee at the "runs daycare" level may just be enforcing a rule of "can only accept kids on a list". There's just a lot of scenarios here, and an unlikely one to me is the executives making sure these level of employees (scoreboard keeper, daycare provider) are enforcing their grievances.

I think people are jumping to the conclusion that the White Sox are being petty, when what you’ve both outlined here is likely more accurate.  Middleton’s kids might have been used to going to Sox family daycare at the game, and were turned away because dad is no longer a member of the team.  It just so happens that dad was the one that spilled the beans on the the clubhouse issues, but these incidents aren’t connected. The same would be applied to Lynn’s kids if he were a visiting Dodger, etc.  If the incident occurred, it’s happenstance and a total non-story. 

7 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Good lord are we really sitting around discussing the policies around the White Sox daycare? Anyone have the scoop on how often they disenfect the toys or if they have organic low sugar juice box options? Good lord Hahn and company need to be fired yesterday. I want to talk about exciting White Sox baseball again before I'm in a wheelchair at a retirement home. 

The Braves: "Will our offense surpass the 2019 Twins in home runs and the 1927 Yankees in runs created?"

The White Sox "Did the White Sox kick a players kids out of a daycare because they were mad he said things about the team after he was traded".

Impressive contrast, I'll give you that.

• Texsox changed the title to Middleton’s Wife Said The White Sox Kicked His Kids Out Of Daycare