8/29 Games

BamaDoc

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/stats/affiliates?teamId=145&date=08/29/2023

https://www.milb.com/scores/2023-08-29/all/all/whitesox

Back in country. Read through last few days. Thanks for all the help and ahem bmags, comments. Looks like last couple days were less successful, so I guess it is okay to return. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Quin said:

Bama please alert us to all vacations you have on your calendar 

Actually in September going to DC (Peter Gabriel concert), Boston (Sox vs Sox) Gettysburg,Antietam on way home. Anyone with site/dining suggestions welcome. 

Mena wiggled out of a bases loaded jam in the 5th. Fell behind 3-0 to the batter, but recovered to a 3-2 flyout to end the inning.

At 91 pitches, I assume he's done. 5IP, 4H, 2ER, 3BB, 3K. The runs were on a walk > single > double steal > 2B sequence in the 4th.

You could tell he was a bit amped up early with an extra tick or two on the FB. Command was a little shaky but still a solid AAA debut for a 20 year old.

• Like 2

I'm confused why Veras gets slept on by the minor league analysts. Seems like a 20 year-old batting clean-up in AA should cause people to take notice, but he's still ranked #22(?!) in our top 30. I can't think of a player outside of Montgomery, Schultz, Quero, Ramos and maybe Mena that I'd rank ahead of him right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bruce_Blixton said:

I'm confused why Veras gets slept on by the minor league analysts. Seems like a 20 year-old batting clean-up in AA should cause people to take notice, but he's still ranked #22(?!) in our top 30. I can't think of a player outside of Montgomery, Schultz, Quero, Ramos and maybe Mena that I'd rank ahead of him right now.

Basically, his defensive profile is not great, may be 1b/DH ultimately and he makes a lot of poor swing decisions so the probability that he gets to his power is limited. That said, he’s hit everywhere he’s been and he’s been on fire since going to Birmingham, so I think there’s upside.

7 hours ago, Bruce_Blixton said:

I'd been seeing the numbers at Birmingham and wondering where he ranked. Thanks for letting me know where it was . From the beginning of the year all his highlights had him #17.  From his highlights on 7/25, 7/29, 8/9 and 8/17  his ranking was 16, 19, 20 and 23 so the recent trades moved him down.

Right now he only has 87 AB but he has been killing it for AA but before that his numbers in A+ were not outstanding.   He didn't hit very well at all in June in Winston-Salem so my theory that he found something before he was promoted doesn't fly. I love his swing. He has a natural swing that when he swings just a little late it will still be for power to RF so  the swing plane is good. Reminds me of Mike Pizza's swing for lack of a more up to date example  .

Evaluators seem to need to be impressed by something early on like the scouting ranking on his abilities before he became a professional or command of the strike zone, a great glove , great speed . He has none of those things .From the beginning his scouting grade was a 40. His walk rate has been consistently low the last 2 years so when you move up where pitchers have better stuff with more movement he can be exploited.

I noticed he was listed at 6'2 180 but by looking at him that seems off. If he's 6'2" he's more than 180. He solid with a thick lower half so I'm guessing he's closer to 6' or more than 180. His Dad Wilton played MLB and he is a cousin to the Tatis's so good bloodlines.

Based on that and what @Timmy Usaid about his defense I think that explains his ranking . If he finishes AA the last couple of weeks as strong as he's hitting now you're likely to see him in the top 15 rankings of the Sox at the beginning of next year. But there can't be any room for recency bias in rankings so despite how well he's done in Birmingham we have to see more consistency in his hitting ability into next year.

• Like 1

amazing after Colson's "slow" start he is up to a .915 OPS in Birmingham, which still features a completely good .200+ iso. I kidna thought when I went to go look it would just be .800 or so boosted by his crazy OBP, but the late power has been more than I've realized/followed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bmags said:

amazing after Colson's "slow" start he is up to a .915 OPS in Birmingham, which still features a completely good .200+ iso. I kidna thought when I went to go look it would just be .800 or so boosted by his crazy OBP, but the late power has been more than I've realized/followed.

I can't wait to see him in Charlotte.

Going into next year, I think we will still see:

- Trash Charlotte:

•   I think it's completely fair for Colson to be in Charlotte, I also think it's reasonable to start in Birmingham.
  • Pitching wise, Charlotte may have significant improvement in Mena, Nastrini, Cannon, Thompson, Bush, Eder and the returns of Burke, Martin for a bit.
  • Offensively, it will be boosted by probably Ramos/Jose Rodriguez, but the outfield / corners are gonna be ptthpb. 

- Good Birmingham:

• To start off the year, this offense of Montgomery, Quero, Veras, Elko, But also likely to see Jacob Burke instead of Yolquei (whom I forgot existed) and Chapelli, who has recovered nicely
  • Pitching wise, I'm a bit optimistic still in group that will obviously include some of the AAA talent that you'd hope perform better in AA

- Good W-S

• Promotions of some good college players in Sprinkle and Calvin Harris, returns of a likely stuck Michael Turner, Brooks Baldwin, Gladney, and Camilleti
  • Probably the return of Schweitzer, start off point for Pallette, Noah Schultz, Carela, Sommer, Vera and Mason Adams

- Mediocre Kanny

• Maybe the college hitters like Nishida, Park, Felix,  (perhaps calvin harris is  still here) buoy enough offense for tough jumps like Wolkow, Burroughs
  • Will have the starting points for Taylor, probably Keener?, Oppor, McDougal return (maybe) , LaCombe (unless he has tjs)

- Good ACL

• Kinda optimistic after this DSL year. All eyes will be on Magollon, the arrival of Nunez and Flores
  • Pitching had decent years from Chirinos, Jeremy Gonzalez and they actually got 5 IP innings in a lot. Luis Reyes arrival

If I'm getz, I sure sure would maybe re-think your pitching coordinator / coach and get someone to try and jumpstart these near mlb guys.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I like how bmags seemingly forgot, or chose not to include Jacob Gonzalez in his assessment of next season.

(Or I missed it.)

hah, no just a product of editing in where Calvin Harris was likely to be and he bumped gonzalez. But ...I'd personally start him in Kanny. Challenging dimensions, good place to showcase your experienced approach by not swinging at trash.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Dude will finish up the next few weeks in BHAM go to AFL and then a month in CHAR next year for service time and he should be our starting SS at that point. If TA is still here, he will move to 2B till deadline. 

And Ramos should be up and starting at 3B on big club before deadline too. 

14 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Dude will finish up the next few weeks in BHAM go to AFL and then a month in CHAR next year for service time and he should be our starting SS at that point. If TA is still here, he will move to 2B till deadline. 

And Ramos should be up and starting at 3B on big club before deadline too. 

I would not be upset if he starts next year in birmingham, personally. I think it's one of our best challenges, and with players that may be future teammates and not just random waiver wire guys.