White Sox claim Alex Speas from Rangers

Balta1701

Minor league reliever, hasn't started more than a game or two since 2017. TJS in 2018. Pitched 2 big league innings last year with an ERA of 13.5. Walked away from baseball after 2021 for a year for mental health reasons, got some press when he was called up last year.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/07/19/rangers-pitcher-alex-speas-debut-coaching-youth-baseball

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/mlb/rangers/texas-rangers-alex-speas-pitcher-reliever-tampa-bay-rays/287-8b6a5030-3af5-4ae4-8b21-02ff3fd7e344

Stats:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=speas-000ale

15 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

More flotsam and jetsam. As if this bad bullpen doesn't already have a slew of those types. How did that work out this year?  

I mean. Expect more of this. This is a rebuild even if they aren't saying the word. These will be the types of additions we see this offseason. Time to come to grips with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

More flotsam and jetsam. As if this bad bullpen doesn't already have a slew of those types. How did that work out this year?  

I would much rather staff a bullpen with a dozen guys like this than go out and spend $30 million on 3 veterans. Probably about the same odds of finding 1 or 2 good relievers, as long as you don't care about the games you lose, which I don't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would much rather staff a bullpen with a dozen guys like this than go out and spend $30 million on 3 veterans. Probably about the same odds of finding 1 or 2 good relievers, as long as you don't care about the games you lose, which I don't. 

The guy has barely pitched in what three years? Something like that. This isn't even a long shot.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This dude is interesting as hell.  Former 2nd round pick and he's only 26 yrs old.  He walks too many but he is nasty.  Nasty nasty. Katz will fix him. 

That only cost us Burger at the trade deadline...albeit the acquisition target was 25 and left-handed.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The guy has barely pitched in what three years? Something like that. This isn't even a long shot.

Worth a pickup. If he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out. Big whoop. So we're out what...? An extended stay apartment and a meal stipend in spring training?

Hotel rooms / apartment rentals in Glendale / Surprise are super expensive, I suppose.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Minor league reliever, hasn't started more than a game or two since 2017. TJS in 2018. Pitched 2 big league innings last year with an ERA of 13.5. Walked away from baseball after 2021 for a year for mental health reasons, got some press when he was called up last year.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2023/07/19/rangers-pitcher-alex-speas-debut-coaching-youth-baseball

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports/mlb/rangers/texas-rangers-alex-speas-pitcher-reliever-tampa-bay-rays/287-8b6a5030-3af5-4ae4-8b21-02ff3fd7e344

Stats:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=speas-000ale

The Getz 'rebuild'/'retool' starts! Just like Hahn he is searching the bins out back of other stadiums in order to build a team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chimpton said:

The Getz 'rebuild'/'retool' starts! Just like Hahn he is searching the bins out back of other stadiums in order to build a team.

Smart teams are always on the look out for younger reclamation projects like Speas (Santos last offseason) or perhaps an older veteran which can provide value contributions at a reasonable or even bargain salary (Cueto and McCann recently, Dye & AJ back in the day).

I’m happy they bring in several or more and perhaps have a few solid successes. 

On a side note, I wonder if this particular player was a Dayton Moore suggestion, after he had a chance to see him pitch for Texas. “Hey, grab this guy. I thought we should keep him but was overruled.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Smart teams are always on the look out for younger reclamation projects like Speas (Santos last offseason) or perhaps an older veteran which can provide value contributions at a reasonable or even bargain salary (Cueto and McCann recently, Dye & AJ back in the day).

I’m happy they bring in several or more and perhaps have a few solid successes. 

On a side note, I wonder if this particular player was a Dayton Moore suggestion, after he had a chance to see him pitch for Texas. “Hey, grab this guy. I thought we should keep him but was overruled.

I suppose you are right and its not as if they are going to challenge next season anyway, they need healthy bodies to pitch innings. And relievers may be important next year as the starting rotation looks a bit bleak.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This move isn’t worth your effort to cry about it.  Sometimes these guys do work out and it’s worth taking a peek and you lose nothing by looking 

• Like 1