Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion

DirtySox

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

And zero prospect return for a guy who was pitching excellent at the time. Is $5 million a month somehow ridiculous for a pitcher these days? Naw, you’d have been a fool to turn that down if you needed pitching and there were no personal issues.

The Dodgers took on $10 million for the guy with the worst ERA in baseball and an injured reliever and gave up a top 10 prospect in their system. But $5.5 million for Clevinger? They can’t afford that, they would lose too much money if their fans in the outfield got fewer souvenirs.

Over just one start after an extended layoff....

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No one picked up Clevinger when he was completely free on waivers at the end of August. He wasn’t moved because teams would rather lose the pennant than acquire him.

OK. Yet the Rangers traded for Chapman. Clevinger had been hurt. Made 1 start. His money was that of a guy making $30 million a year at that point.  Does this mean Clevinger is done in the major leagues? LMAO.

It's so funny what you ignore when you know you are wrong but won't admit it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Prediction:  Ex-Sox products will record an fWAR at least 5x higher than the 2024 White Sox production level…

If the 2024 White Sox players are producing at the levels of 2023 White Sox levels, that's a lot of negative WAR you're expecting out of ex-Sox products.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, JoeC said:

If the 2024 White Sox players are producing at the levels of 2023 White Sox levels, that's a lot of negative WAR you're expecting out of ex-Sox products.

That includes the likes of Escobar Semien Tatis Bassitt Sale Madrigal Anderson Rodon etc.

You'd have to have one category for original signees and another for those to have previously played for the Sox but didn't start their careers with Chicago.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That includes the likes of Escobar Semien Tatis Bassitt Sale Madrigal Anderson Rodon etc.

You'd have to have one category for original signees and another for those to have previously played for the Sox but didn't start their careers with Chicago.

Sorry - my point was that that a lot of Sox will have negative fWAR values.

Multiply a negative times 5, and you get a larger negative.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Why you want him: Well, not because of 2023. The two-time All-Star and 2019 AL batting champion labored through a miserable campaign while dealing with injuries and whatever general malaise has befallen the Chicago White Sox.

It’s difficult to fathom the hitting talent that logged four consecutive seasons with a .300 average or better vanished, but it is reasonable to think Anderson might be approaching a defensive shift to second base.

Still, some team is going to take a shot on a hitter at an up-the-middle spot who ranked among the 30 most valuable position players between 2019 and 2022.

What it will take to get him: Anderson is a candidate for a one-year pillow contract. Those tend to guarantee something between $10 million and the qualifying offer number.

Yahoo.com/sports

Let's see if Anderson gets more than $13 million...they already paid the $1 million buyout.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Why you want him: Well, not because of 2023. The two-time All-Star and 2019 AL batting champion labored through a miserable campaign while dealing with injuries and whatever general malaise has befallen the Chicago White Sox.

It’s difficult to fathom the hitting talent that logged four consecutive seasons with a .300 average or better vanished, but it is reasonable to think Anderson might be approaching a defensive shift to second base.

Still, some team is going to take a shot on a hitter at an up-the-middle spot who ranked among the 30 most valuable position players between 2019 and 2022.

What it will take to get him: Anderson is a candidate for a one-year pillow contract. Those tend to guarantee something between $10 million and the qualifying offer number.

Yahoo.com/sports

I can see him wanting $10M+ but I don’t think he gets it.

4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I can see him wanting $10M+ but I don’t think he gets it.

No way he gets less than Jean Segura at that age.

"Segura will earn $6.5 million in 2023 and $8.5 million in 2024, and his contract includes a $10 million club option with a $2 million buyout for 2025. Segura, 32, spent the previous four seasons playing against the Marlins as a member of the Philadelphia Phillies."

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

No way he gets less than Jean Segura at that age.

"Segura will earn $6.5 million in 2023 and $8.5 million in 2024, and his contract includes a $10 million club option with a $2 million buyout for 2025. Segura, 32, spent the previous four seasons playing against the Marlins as a member of the Philadelphia Phillies."

He's also coming off a season where he was the worst hitter in baseball. Also, bad defensively.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He's also coming off a season where he was the worst hitter in baseball. Also, bad defensively.

And a top 30 player in all of baseball over the span of 3 and 4 consecutive years.

Much better better than Montas and Severino.

Benintendi got $75 million at a similar age for one solid 2.8 fear supported partly by the Yankees' offense in that 2022 season...and ignoring the 2 1/2 seasons right  before that when he basically fell off a cliff.

Edited by caulfield12

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Weird this thread came back as I was just thinking last night how a lot of players have to be freaking out right now, including TA. If he doesn't get anything soon, he may be lucky to get Nicky Lopez money.

I'll take the over.  If TA is under $5M, Sox should sign him and just move him around the diamond. 

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'll take the over.  If TA is under $5M, Sox should sign him and just move him around the diamond. 

His glove isn’t good enough for Getz.  While his bat for last season would fit what Getz is looking for, Anderson may actually revert to his usual production which would be too good for Getz.

43 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

For under $10M takea flyer at short and hope for a new appraoch in all facets if needed.

I would bet anything he's under $10 million now, and if he doesn't sign in the next couple of weeks, he'll be under $5 million.

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think there is a solid chance the Sox just want to move on from TA.  But at like 1/$7-9M, he at least provides some upside. 

That's a no-no for the signings that the Sox have had this offseason. We like the Maldonados and Hills of the world.

• Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

That's a no-no for the signings that the Sox have had this offseason. We like the Maldonados and Hills of the world.

Given we aren't contending for anything but the cellar of the division, and it's *just* money there's almost no reason not to sign him as a flip candidate. So it won't happen. 

On 11/22/2023 at 12:33 AM, JoeC said:

Sorry - my point was that that a lot of Sox will have negative fWAR values.

Multiply a negative times 5, and you get a larger negative.

Odds are it will end up at 0-3 or 3-5 fWAR or something like that with a brand new pitching regime in place…and especially with an above average defensive team versus bottom 3-5 in the entire sport.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

And a top 30 player in all of baseball over the span of 3 and 4 consecutive years.

Much better better than Montas and Severino.

Benintendi got $75 million at a similar age for one solid 2.8 fear supported partly by the Yankees' offense in that 2022 season...and ignoring the 2 1/2 seasons right  before that when he basically fell off a cliff.

For whatever hits and misses I've had on here, Tim being an asshole was my biggest hit. I was banging the drum on here that he was a cancer and needed to go during his peak years. There are several reasons no one is touching him. Someone will for at a discount, and that discount will still be too high.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• Quin changed the title to Tim Anderson Free Agency Discussion
  • Quin locked this topic