Who do you want or think will replace Benetti?

ron883

Benetti Replacement Poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as Benetti's replacement?

• Mike Monaco
    • Adam Amin
    • Connor McKnight
    • Julie DiCaro
    • Other

16 hours ago, Panerista said:

Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson

Honestly why would anyone want this for him or for themselves?  Next year is going to be absolutely brutal and wanting Hawk to be forced to watch that because of our nostalgia seems like cruel and unusual punishment

The man isnt gonna go full innings without saying a word he is gonna go full games 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Honestly why would anyone want this for him or for themselves?  Next year is going to be absolutely brutal and wanting Hawk to be forced to watch that because of our nostalgia seems like cruel and unusual punishment

The man isnt gonna go full innings without saying a word he is gonna go full games 

I mean, i won't be watching, so i don't care.

To be honest, Hawk was trash for the last decade of his career. Solid pick for this organization.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s one thing for Holmes to still complain about Benetti leaving, but him saying “the new hire has to be a home run, and the guy we think will get it, is not” it’s just such a shitty thing to say.

Bernstein and Holmes fucking suck. I think Benetti is good, but is talent is so over exaggerated on the Score. I hate to sound like a dick, but I think he has become overrated because of the obstacles he has overcome. It's incredible what he has done and he is an inspiration, but I don't think he is an otherworldly announcer. 

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Bernstein and Holmes fucking suck. I think Benetti is good, but is talent is so over exaggerated on the Score. I hate to sound like a dick, but I think he has become overrated because of the obstacles he has overcome. It's incredible what he has done and he is an inspiration, but I don't think he is an otherworldly announcer. 

Don’t forget he also interned there.  He’s a very good announcer and a great story, but I’m sure if Monaco had worked at the Score previously, they’d be treating him better.

Just now, fathom said:

Don’t forget he also interned there.  He’s a very good announcer and a great story, but I’m sure if Monaco had worked at the Score previously, they’d be treating him better.

Exactly. He was an intern for B&B. He is obviously The Score's guy. I don't see this massive gap between Monaco and Benetti when it comes to calling baseball. 

• Like 1

The more you listen to Benetti recently, the more you realize he trapped himself in that kind of cornball role…feeling he had to substitute for poor Sox onfield product with filling up so much awkward time and space.

Like promoting concession items…pushing/explaining analytics, Nationwide.

Away from the Sox, and the obligation of carrying the broadcast 162 games per year, he found his true voice in the natural rhythms of basketball and football.

He has a really synergistic partnership with Brock Huard and seems to thrive more on the event status of Top Ten football matchups and the environment around college football and basketball.

Probably he simply feels liberated to get away from what appears to be a horrific 4-5 upcoming years and simply wanted to be in a place where he was wanted/valued than tolerated.

JR always seemed the type much more comfortable with the old ballplayers like a Stone Harrelson Farmer Paciorek…JR probably had zero clue about 85-90% of his pop cultural references and found his kissing up to partners and constantly deferring to them a bit of a drag, too.   Heck, unless you just kiss JR’s ass, you’re eventually going to be on his bad side and losing KW/Hahn might have exposed another annoyance when it seemed as if Boyer wanted to totally clean house and move forward with a new group of sycophants.

Benetti realized he had a lot more leverage/bargaining power but overplayed his hand and then burned some bridges with Brooks and realized it was going to be impossible to swallow his pride and return.

He’s now branded himself as kind of an underdog symbolic of Detroit itself…being born again in a way, revitalized, restored.  That fits his natural personality a lot more than simply being a sideshow resented for his growing popularity by ownership.

Also believe the responsibility of attracting a new generation of Sox fans lost since the end of the Ozzie Era kind of wore him out or down over the last two seasons when Sox onfield play totally disintegrated and managerial decisions became a source of weekly embarrassment.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I barely think about him "overcoming obstacles" I just enjoy his broadcasts. While I'm not into the cheesy parts that fill time, I find him to be one of the most educated and modern broadcasters available. Didn't they have him doing a "modern broadcast" during the AS game or something like that this year on ESPN2? That's why I like him, I get to hear a discussion of how offensive production actually works rather than a discussion of how important it is to bunt all the time.

I also found him quite good during the 2020-2021 seasons when there were actually a handful of dramatic games, and I think some of the stuff people like less was more emphasized in 2022 and 2023 because they had so little drama. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Exactly. He was an intern for B&B. He is obviously The Score's guy. I don't see this massive gap between Monaco and Benetti when it comes to calling baseball. 

It’s the fact Benetti was “one of us” as a unabashed Sox fan…and not an outsider or carpetbagger.

Not many have the White Sox listed as their dream job these days.

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s the fact Benetti was “one of us” as a unabashed Sox fan…and not an outsider or carpetbagger.

Not many have the White Sox listed as their dream job these days.

That's my position as well. I don't watch games based on the broadcasters, and most here don't either, but the casual fan does. The thing that bothered me most about this was a dieheart Sox fan moved to Detroit. Not even counting the head marketing guy saying it was a better job. Monaco seems good. But if missing games is an issue, that won't change with his hire, and he is basically on the same track Jason is only, probably a few years behind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

That's my position as well. I don't watch games based on the broadcasters, and most here don't either, but the casual fan does. The thing that bothered me most about this was a dieheart Sox fan moved to Detroit. Not even counting the head marketing guy saying it was a better job. Monaco seems good. But if missing games is an issue, that won't change with his hire, and he is basically on the same track Jason is only, probably a few years behind. 

Who broadcast more games each year, Jason or Steve, or was it about the same?

Why was Jason an issue and Stone not, beyond cronyism, if each broadcast 130 or so CSN games a year?

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Who broadcast more games each year, Jason or Steve, or was it about the same?

Why was Jason an issue and Stone not, beyond cronyism, if each broadcast 130 or so CSN games a year?

It’s weird, and if JR didn’t like Jason’s style or his sense of humor, why did he extend him in the first place? To me this all goes back to Jason being honest about the negotiations last year making Brooks take look like a lie.

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

The industry sees a pretty massive gap though. Mike Monaco is fine. Jason Benetti will possibly do a super bowl or final fours though. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The industry sees a pretty massive gap though. Mike Monaco is fine. Jason Benetti will possibly do a super bowl or final fours though. 

In no way am I saying Monaco will have similar success, but his trajectory is rather similar to that of Benetti (considering he’s ten years younger).