Who do you want or think will replace Benetti?

ron883

Benetti Replacement Poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as Benetti's replacement?

• Mike Monaco
    • Adam Amin
    • Connor McKnight
    • Julie DiCaro
    • Other

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I barely think about him "overcoming obstacles" I just enjoy his broadcasts. While I'm not into the cheesy parts that fill time, I find him to be one of the most educated and modern broadcasters available. Didn't they have him doing a "modern broadcast" during the AS game or something like that this year on ESPN2? That's why I like him, I get to hear a discussion of how offensive production actually works rather than a discussion of how important it is to bunt all the time.

I also found him quite good during the 2020-2021 seasons when there were actually a handful of dramatic games, and I think some of the stuff people like less was more emphasized in 2022 and 2023 because they had so little drama. 

I think one of the things that makes him great is his ability to be an educated and modern broadcaster while managing to keep it feeling light. He can get into analytics, but he's never dry, smug, patronizing or exhausting about it. If that's due in part to his so-called corny or cheesy personality, so be it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/sportsnets-ben-wagner-out-as-voice-of-blue-jays-radio-broadcasts-192540349.html

Don't know who he is but Jays fans are pissed about it. He's from South Bend area so I wonder if possibly relevant here. Toronto Newspaper seems to hint at that:

"Sometimes organizations let people go before they leave on their own. I suspect that could be the case with the super-talented, highly coveted, under-utilized Ben Wagner"

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

4 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/sportsnets-ben-wagner-out-as-voice-of-blue-jays-radio-broadcasts-192540349.html

Don't know who he is but Jays fans are pissed about it. He's from South Bend area so I wonder if possibly relevant here. Toronto Newspaper seems to hint at that:

"Sometimes organizations let people go before they leave on their own. I suspect that could be the case with the super-talented, highly coveted, under-utilized Ben Wagner"

Jays fans say it’s the last straw?  Kidding 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Big difference between missing 12 games out of a 82 game season vs 40-50+ of a 162 game season. They answered their own question. Sox probably okay with around 20.

54 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

And hotel/flight/meal expenses will be deducted from the 50k.

The White Sox would end up making money on that deal, lol...and there would be plenty champing at the bit if that was the offer, even for the worst team in baseball in what happens to be a fairly expensive city to live in.

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I think it purely comes down to Benetti talking to the media about how signing an extension was "kind of a pain." He talks a lot and Amin doesn't. Also think Benetti is better at his job than Amin, I really can't stand Bulls broadcasts since Funk retired and will try my best to listen to the other team's. Stacey has become unbearable, hawking his hot sauce and his podcast. Amin just kowtows to him. Doesn't help that the team is in a worse position than the Sox are.

Frankly, I don't like having "national" guys as broadcasters. They're seemingly more concerned about not pissing off their bosses at Fox or other team's fanbases than they are about rooting for the home team, which is logical from their perspective.

I'd rather have a homer than the best of the best. I can look at Baseball-Reference or Fangraphs or otherwise go on the internet to talk about advanced stats or whatever. I want a homer in the booth. Both guys see a close call and say "well let's go to the replay and get the whole picture, we can't really say". Wrong. the call needs to go in our favor every time and when it doesn't, it's refball. Make fun of Kwame Brown's tiny hands too.

Amin's best moment was when he went after Grayson Allen for several minutes calling him a dirty player when Allen kinda just made a hardnosed basketball play that wasn't dirty in the slightest, just physical. That was the first and last time I ever saw him stand up for a Bulls player and Allen is an easy target since his days at Duke. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I think it purely comes down to Benetti talking to the media about how signing an extension was "kind of a pain." He talks a lot and Amin doesn't. Also think Benetti is better at his job than Amin, I really can't stand Bulls broadcasts since Funk retired and will try my best to listen to the other team's. Stacey has become unbearable, hawking his hot sauce and his podcast. Amin just kowtows to him. Doesn't help that the team is in a worse position than the Sox are.

Frankly, I don't like having "national" guys as broadcasters. They're seemingly more concerned about not pissing off their bosses at Fox or other team's fanbases than they are about rooting for the home team, which is logical from their perspective.

I'd rather have a homer than the best of the best. I can look at Baseball-Reference or Fangraphs or otherwise go on the internet to talk about advanced stats or whatever. I want a homer in the booth. Both guys see a close call and say "well let's go to the replay and get the whole picture, we can't really say". Wrong. the call needs to go in our favor every time and when it doesn't, it's refball. Make fun of Kwame Brown's tiny hands too.

Amin's best moment was when he went after Grayson Allen for several minutes calling him a dirty player when Allen kinda just made a hardnosed basketball play that wasn't dirty in the slightest, just physical. That was the first and last time I ever saw him stand up for a Bulls player and Allen is an easy target since his days at Duke. 

Stacey King also thinks it's 1990 and that consistently feeding the ball to Vuc in the post is good idea. The guy is a moron. 

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Big difference between missing 12 games out of a 82 game season vs 40-50+ of a 162 game season. They answered their own question. Sox probably okay with around 20.

Jason missed 30-35, not 40-50+.

I don’t watch TV, so my question is did Stone miss a similar amount of games or perhaps more?

Why is leaving for broadcasts considered worse than leaving to chill in Chicago or Arizona because Stone cannot be bothered with West Coast trips, also passing on other series which interfere with his personal plans?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Zach Zaidman? The dude from the Score?

If so, I can’t stand his voice lol

Edit: I would have to watch on mute or listen to radio broadcast if that happened. 

Oh gawd, he would be like the Guaranteed Rate naming rights version of an announcer hire. That, or JR really wants one final 'f*** you' as he destroys what's left of this beleaguered fanbase.

15 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Zach Zaidman? The dude from the Score?

If so, I can’t stand his voice lol

Edit: I would have to watch on mute or listen to radio broadcast if that happened. 

I already have to half the time when Len or Beckham are on the TV call.

4 minutes ago, Scott Merkin Fan said:

I want Chuck Swirsky. No clue why his name hasn't been mentioned.

I remember Chuck when he was doing sports on WGN-TV. As a TV sportscaster he simply wasn't comfortable and was out of his element...but at least he was better than Sid Garcia! 😄 

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I remember Chuck when he was doing sports on WGN-TV. As a TV sportscaster he simply wasn't comfortable and was out of his element...but at least he was better than Sid Garcia! 😄 

In the mid-90s? 

Dude's great at radio, but people can also develop new skills over the course of nearly three decades.