Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

3 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

Sure …. It doesn’t fit the narrative here.

I think they asked for Lowder, Petty and two lesser prospects.  It definitely wasn’t 5, with 4 of them being elite.   To me, that was leaked by the Reds to make it easier for their fans to accept not going after him.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But isn’t that point?  Isn’t this what has been said over and over?  That Getz has demands that are too high and won’t be met? 

People have basically said that’s absurd.

I'm not sure why what basically amounts to a sticker price offends you, so. It seems to make you angry that the White Sox won't start negotiations by saying they'll take a package headlined by a slightly younger Nicky Lopez and a bunch of garbage. You seem to believe that fans of other teams don't have the right to be positive about possible trades. 

I really don't know what your point is beyond, maybe, a new year's resolution to spend all of 2024 on a White Sox board not making sense. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkokieSox said:

And the other teams are too low and won’t be met. Circular argument 

Of course they are…we don’t know which one is closer to reality but again, this is how negotiations works. You go high, I go low and we meet in the middle. That’s just how things are.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think they asked for Lowder, Petty and two lesser prospects.  It definitely wasn’t 5, with 4 of them being elite.   To me, that was leaked by the Reds to make it easier for their fans to accept not going after him.

The Reds can barely compete with the Brewers and Cubs by building from within with their own prospects.  They honestly have zero reason to want to trade any of their prospects for Cease.  So yeah, this makes some sense.  Either way, I doubt the Reds interest in Cease was ever legitimate.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The Reds can barely compete with their own prospects in the NL Central with the Brewers and Cubs.  They honestly have zero reason to want to trade any of their prospects for Cease.  So yeah, this makes some sense.  Either way, I doubt the Reds interest in Cease was ever legitimate.

They inquired but weren’t ready to go all in

Edited by fathom
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not sure why what basically amounts to a sticker price offends you, so. It seems to make you angry that the White Sox won't start negotiations by saying they'll take a package headlined by a slightly younger Nicky Lopez and a bunch of garbage. You seem to believe that fans of other teams don't have the right to be positive about possible trades. 

I really don't know what your point is beyond, maybe, a new year's resolution to spend all of 2024 on a White Sox board not making sense. 

Are you serious?  Are you really going to say that me (or any other Os fan) is Getting offended by the sticker price?  You guys have done nothing but b**** and moan over us saying certain guys wouldn’t be available or whatever.  You are 100% taking this personal.

As for what the WS are asking for, I could give a sh!t. Getz is doing everything correctly right now. But what they ask for now and before now is irrelevant because it’s not a deal that will happen. I know this because it would happen.

So no, as someone who has had businesses that buys and sells stuff on a daily basis, I am the furthest person from being “angry” about any request.  There is not one person involved in any of these negotiations that is doing anything wrong.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just for fun, and to surely piss off Orioles fans:

https://www.mlb.com/news/dylan-cease-trade-proposals

Enjoy, Orioles fans…

Potential trade return: C/1B Samuel Basallo (MLB Pipeline’s No. 46 prospect), 2B/OF Connor Norby (Orioles’ No. 7 prospect), LHP Cade Povich (Orioles’ No. 11 prospect), INF Ramón Urías

Who says no? Probably the White Sox. The proposed return here is strong, but for Chicago to give up Cease without acquiring Heston Kjerstad (MLB Pipeline’s No. 24 prospect) or Coby Mayo (No. 27 prospect) as part of the package might be tough to swallow. The reported asking price for Cease has been high given his age and two years of team control remaining, and a potential deal could always be revisited at the Trade Deadline. The Orioles, meanwhile, might be averse to dealing from their top four prospects given Baltimore’s ahead-of-schedule success and potential opportunities to bolster the rotation down the line.

-- Manny Randhawa

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Are you serious?  Are you really going to say that me (or any other Os fan) is Getting offended by the sticker price?  You guys have done nothing but b**** and moan over us saying certain guys wouldn’t be available or whatever.  You are 100% taking this personal.

Seems like you're observing "Cry" January. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As for what the WS are asking for, I could give a sh!t. Getz is doing everything correctly right now. But what they ask for now and before now is irrelevant because it’s not a deal that will happen. I know this because it would happen.

So no, as someone who has had businesses that buys and sells stuff on a daily basis, I am the furthest person from being “angry” about any request.  There is not one person involved in any of these negotiations that is doing anything wrong.

That might’ve been good to preface on page 37 as opposed to 204

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I guess it’s possible…I can’t say I know a lot about the Reds front office relationship with their fans. But, if Elias misses out on Cease and he feels the price was too much he wouldn’t have to have a MASN reporter lie about the asking price. It just seems like a wishy washy theory. 

Why wouldn’t the Reds GM just say we tried but didn’t want to meet the price? 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

🤦‍♂️

Yeah, do another facepalm emoji.  Very meaningful.  Why should anyone care about what some random and biased Orioles fan from a message board thinks about Cease’s trade value over an actual MLB.com writer?  And I don’t even think much of this MLB.com writer, but what are your credentials?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Enjoy, Orioles fans…

Why do you guys think this would Piss anyone off?  Wouldn’t be upset about this deal. Basallo would be the part that hurts a bit. The deal has to hurt a bit on both sides to be fair. 

Yeah, do another facepalm emoji.  Very meaningful.  Why should anyone care about what some random and biased Orioles fan from a message board thinks about Cease’s trade value over an actual MLB.com writer?  And I don’t even think much of this MLB.com writer, but what are your credentials?

If it was bleacher report, he’d find it more credible :)

1 minute ago, Rolle Tide said:

Why do you guys think this would Piss anyone off?  Wouldn’t be upset about this deal. Basallo would be the part that hurts a bit. The deal has to hurt a bit on both sides to be fair. 

Yordan Basallo is supposed to be an untouchable.  But yes, this article sucks.  That Cubs package would be way too good 

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It’s just a suggestion in an article right? Not really a rumor 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yordan Basallo is supposed to be an untouchable.  But yes, this article sucks.  That Cubs package would be way too good 

It’s a bit too good but I don’t doubt the Cubs would deal Morel since he has no position.  But I can see the reasoning behind the writer’s trade idea.  The Cubs have done absolutely jack s%*# this off-season and smart Cubs fans are legitimately pissed.  But Hoyer isn’t overspending and I don’t think he wants to give up any of his prospects.  They are still building from within.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Ok, I’m going to go off the assumption that you aren’t a stupid person..so, I want you to actually to think about this for a moment.

Read what he said. He mentioned Kjerstad and Mayo and made sure to show where they are ranked on the MlB list.  So, he’s clearly using those rankings as a reason for his thought process.  Those rankings, as you guys have talked about a lot w/r/t Ortiz, are not updated. Basallo is 47th in their list iirc, so he’s essentially saying that he’s ranked too low. Also, the MLB rankings are ok but nothing special.

Now, he is also saying that because of those rankings that they have a higher upside than Basallo. You can argue that with Mayo but you absolutely can’t argue that with Kjerstad. Basallo’s upside is easily higher than Heston.

On top of that, going back to your Ortiz argument, Basallo meets your timeline of contention far more than Kjerstad does.

So, everything about that is completely wrong. 

1) The Os aren’t trading Basallo. He’s extremely likely to be one of the untouchables Elias has publicly said exist.

2) he says that other guys would be better basically because of their ranking even though Basallo is very likely to be higher than both once Mayo and Callis re-do the rankings.

3) The WS absolutely would not turn down that offer even if Elias was willing to offer it.

Now, you tell me what I said is wrong.  You tell me why that writer, one with no real credibility outside of probably having a journalism degree, should be trusted?  That guy has 6000 less twitter followers than your guy James does and most people outside of WS fans have probably never heard of James.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic