Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

At some point it’s law of diminishing returns. An extra year of control doesn’t necessarily equate to 2x the return.

It should when Cease’s salaries for the next two seasons may only total just over $20 million.  Where else can you get a potential ace for that price?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

It should when Cease’s salaries for the next two seasons may only total just over $20 million.  Where else can you get a potential ace for that price?

Maybe. Either way, 1.5x the Burnes return is perfectly reasonable imo and I can come up with some rather exciting packages from the padres, rangers, and Yankees working off that premise.

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So the question is, what does 1.5x the Burnes return look like for Texas, NYY, and SD?

Texas - Walcott, Porter, Leiter

NYY - Arias, Hampton, Lombard

SD - Snelling, Thorpe, low level prospect

sound about right?

I accept all of those. SD, NYY, and TEX in that order. TEX would be a tougher decision.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I accept all of those. NYY, SD and TEX in that order. TEX would be a tougher decision.

They need at least Head from the Padres...where else are they going to get any position players?

And SD isn't likely to deal two pitchers with their rotation still so thin and some of their new FA relievers already struggling...

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

They need at least Head from the Padres...where else are they going to get any position players?

And SD isn't likely to deal two pitchers with their rotation still so thin and some of their new FA relievers already struggling...

Head has almost no power.. I don't have much interest in that as a 2nd piece.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Draft mainly. They could go easily go with position players at #5, #43, #68 if they go pitching heavy in a Cease trade. Plus, they’ll have money to spend after eloy, Cease, Moncada contracts roll off the books. Plus plus, they’ll be looking to trade Robert within the next 12-24 months (I think) so you can hopefully acquire a slew of talent in that trade. I’m not worried about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Head has almost no power.. I don't have much interest in that as a 2nd piece.

Then Marsee would be another option.

Looks much better than Fletcher, at least.  Has some helium in his favor.

Guess we shall see which GM gets most desperate.  Likely Cashman or Preller over the guy in Young who just won a WS title playing without deGrom.

55 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So sure, feel free to be mad at me for having the audacity to call this out as malarky.

All this reporting is moments in time. They're reporting on rumors. So maybe Baltimore is on the phone with Getz for a couple of days, and they're discussing names. To say a trade is possible isn't wrong. Then it falls apart. Nobody lied. 

I agree with the guys complaining about the eyeballs. But when multiple reporters are bringing names and teams, that's a lot of smoke. It could all go caput. 

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Draft mainly. They could go easily go with position players at #5, #43, #68 if they go pitching heavy in a Cease trade. Plus, they’ll have money to spend after eloy, Cease, Moncada contracts roll off the books. Plus plus, they’ll be looking to trade Robert within the next 12-24 months (I think) so you can hopefully acquire a slew of talent in that trade. I’m not worried about it.

Banking on the Sox drafting the right position players?

10 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Just hate always going with lower ceiling collegiate hitters in the draft.

As far as spending with the big boys in FA...we all won't believe it from JR until we see it actually happen.

No more second and third tier guys...they need a legit All Star level guy and above, the type who's getting $175-225 million and not well less than half that amount.  No more elite relievers instead of developing their own guys internally.

The current and draft positioning is also highly unlikely to provide that type of difference maker unless they really get lucky in the next lottery.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Ideally in any Cease deal you would be getting someone who has a ceiling that comes out around Cease's, a LH power prospect OF, hopefully one that can play CF, but if not one that has RF in their future, and then fill in from there.  I would love to pick into some of these specific team's Latin American signings to keep the waves of prospects lined up for the next five years, and maybe find a diamond in the rough that is the type of player that isn't quite broken out, but if they go near their potential would be a player that could headline this kind of deal instead of being a #3 or #4.  Would have been nice to sneak in an extra draft pick too, but pretty sure none of these three teams fall into that bucket.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ideally in any Cease deal you would be getting someone who has a ceiling that comes out around Cease's, a LH power prospect OF, hopefully one that can play CF, but if not one that has RF in their future, and then fill in from there.  I would love to pick into some of these specific team's Latin American signings to keep the waves of prospects lined up for the next five years, and maybe find a diamond in the rough that is the type of player that isn't quite broken out, but if they go near their potential would be a player that could headline this kind of deal instead of being a #3 or #4.  Would have been nice to sneak in an extra draft pick too, but pretty sure none of these three teams fall into that bucket.

That's likely DeVrieze before he hits stateside...but the odds of essentially two Salas-level players in a row out of international headliners can't realistically be all that high. 

Would be like winning the real Powerball lottery.

At some point soon, the Sox will have money to spend.  The main challenge will be signing stars and impact SP under Jerry.  Even mercenary SP will likely be too rich for Jerry’s blood from a risk standpoint.  As such, frontline pitching more or less needs to be developed (or traded for a la Lynn).  I have no problem getting back a pitching prospect with a TOR ceiling for Cease, but would hate for a package of multiple mid-rotation types.  Let’s swing for the fences in terms of ceiling with a Cease trade and use our money to add good (not great) players.

4 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Sadly, they do better at that than drafting their own.  Not by much though.

Well...since they arguably have one of the worst FA ROI records in the majors over the last decade...they should be at least decent in one area just by pure luck.

Shields Shark and Swisher deals would argue quite the opposite, though. 

Only the Q and Eaton rebuilding trades worked out well...and any astute minor league fan could have picked those names quite simply from poring over BA prospect lists.

I don't suggest anybody listen to this. I did while working late last night. It's interesting listening to idiot fanbois from other teams gush over Dylan Cease. One dope thinks Cease won a Cy Young, and the main guy literally had to look up the word "droves" to understand the volume of White Sox scouts watching the Rangers that day. 

But I think it's a respectful take, not the "I'd maybe trade Anthony Rizzo straight up, but nothing more" level of disdain. 

They kind of gush over Jack Leiter, and compare him to Thorpe (#5), Snelling (#3) and Lesko (#4). The guy who believes Cease won a Cy Young compares Brock Porter to the level of prospect that Graham Pauly (#11) or Eguy Rosario (#16) are. They come up with a "similar" package of one of (thorpe, snelling, lesko), one of (pauly, rosario), Sam Zavala (#7) and maybe Adam Mazur (#10). The numbers are MLB's Padres' system rankings. 

I don't endorse. Just thought it was interesting to get bro-dude Padre-fan take on what they think Cease would cost them. They get into talking about a possible trade after 11:00.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

At some point soon, the Sox will have money to spend.  The main challenge will be signing stars and impact SP under Jerry.  Even mercenary SP will likely be too rich for Jerry’s blood from a risk standpoint.  As such, frontline pitching more or less needs to be developed (or traded for a la Lynn).  I have no problem getting back a pitching prospect with a TOR ceiling for Cease, but would hate for a package of multiple mid-rotation types.  Let’s swing for the fences in terms of ceiling with a Cease trade and use our money to add good (not great) players.

The Grandals and Melky Cabreras and Benintendis of the world would seem to be the exact definition of good but not great/elite. Lynn, Robertson and Kimbrel as well.

Only Abreu and Robert defied those limited return for amount allocated rules.

Just now, WestEddy said:

I don't suggest anybody listen to this. I did while working late last night. It's interesting listening to idiot fanbois from other teams gush over Dylan Cease. One dope thinks Cease won a Cy Young, and the main guy literally had to look up the word "droves" to understand the volume of White Sox scouts watching the Rangers that day. 

But I think it's a respectful take, not the "I'd maybe trade Anthony Rizzo straight up, but nothing more" level of disdain. 

They kind of gush over Jack Leiter, and compare him to Thorpe (#5), Snelling (#3) and Lesko (#4). The guy who believes Cease won a Cy Young compares Brock Porter to the level of prospect that Graham Pauly (#11) or Eguy Rosario (#16) are. They come up with a "similar" package of one of (thorpe, snelling, lesko), one of (pauly, rosario), Sam Zavala (#7) and maybe Adam Mazur (#10). The numbers are MLB's Padres' system rankings. 

I don't endorse. Just thought it was interesting to get bro-dude Padre-fan take on what they think Cease would cost them. They get into talking about a possible trade after 11:00.

Pauley and Rosario aren't even likely to be the equivalent of Nicky Ortiz.

Both are relative long shots. Batten as well.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic