Grandal
Anderson
Thompson
Frazier
Andrus
Shaw
Urena
Hendriks

That's 8, and yet the 40 man sits at 35.  Have they added players since the end of the season?

Anyway, this 40 man is such that there should be 0% risk of losing a player with upside in the Rule 5 Draft.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Since the end of the season, the following players have left:
Grandal
Anderson
Thompson
Frazier
Andrus
Shaw
Urena
Hendriks

That's 8, and yet the 40 man sits at 35.  Have they added players since the end of the season?

Anyway, this 40 man is such that there should be 0% risk of losing a player with upside in the Rule 5 Draft.

They had to add the 60-day IL guys back to the roster: Foster, Romy, Davis Martin.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

there should be 0% risk of losing a player with upside in the Rule 5 Draft.

The problem comes in starting Carela's clock a year or two too early. Wilfred Veras is probably just too far away from the bigs to stow on the 26-man roster all season. 

I'd also think the Sox would like to keep the 40-man lean and mean, not only for the Rule 5, but also to be grabbing up relievers other teams are trying to slip through waivers. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Wouldn't mind us grabbing two arms with the idea that one probably gets returned.

There was a season under Schueler, when the Sox grabbed a half dozen Rule 5 guys to sort through in Spring Training, and Jerry had quite the problem with paying the $50k fee on each player. He shut down that practice, going forward. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

There was a season under Schueler, when the Sox grabbed a half dozen Rule 5 guys to sort through in Spring Training, and Jerry had quite the problem with paying the $50k fee on each player. He shut down that practice, going forward. 

It's $100K now ($50K refund if player returned) so it will be interesting if Getz will be allowed to dedicate nearly $1M (including the league minimum salary) toward anyone. Still would be more cost effective than signing their typical $3M-$6M plug in 2B/RF mid 30s veteran.

If they had quality scouts, or perhaps Bannister / Barfield can identify a few players they can "fix", hope they take a shot on a few guys. Worth a gamble this season with zero at stake competitively.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

Just look at the list of pitchers.  Who would be really missed?  Scholtens is the best of the bunch. Maybe there's a name on there that I overlooked; and Tanner Banks, a personal favorite because he throws strikes, is on the list. 
The article talks about decisions on players like Sosa, but he should be protected way before this cast of characters.

Tanner Banks
Declan Cronin
Matt Foster
Deivi Garcia
Edgar Navarro
Nicholas Padilla
Luis Patino
Sammy Peralta
Yohan Ramirez
Jesse Scholtens
Alex Speas

Edited by GreenSox

3 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Just look at the list of pitchers.  Who would be really missed?  Scholtens is the best of the bunch. Maybe there's a name on there that I overlooked; and Tanner Banks, a personal favorite because he throws strikes, is on the list. 
The article talks about decisions on players like Sosa, but he should be protected way before this cast of characters.

Tanner Banks
Declan Cronin
Matt Foster
Deivi Garcia
Edgar Navarro
Nicholas Padilla
Luis Patino
Sammy Peralta
Yohan Ramirez
Jesse Scholtens
Alex Speas

Not many of those guys would be. Definitely hold onto some of the higher upside arms but feel like Padilla, Peralta, Navarro, Foster can go.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Tanner Banks
Declan Cronin
Matt Foster
Deivi Garcia
Edgar Navarro
Nicholas Padilla
Luis Patino
Sammy Peralta
Yohan Ramirez
Jesse Scholtens
Alex Speas

Garcia, Patino, Scholtens and Banks all have some decent value for next year's team. I feel like Cronin can stay unless you absolutely need the room.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think we only see Mena, Eder, & Thompson protected today.  The first two are obvious, but I do think a team could grab Thompson in the Rule 5 and he may be a kid that Bannister would like to get his hands on.

I still think Carela gets added. He's got good stats as a young starter — some destitute, White Sox-esque team like the Royals or A's might figure they can make him a reliever for a year.

Just now, SoxAce said:

Supposedly his defense is terrible. Hahn probably would've salivated over that but Getz seems like he actually gives a s%*# about players catching the ball.

I tried to find defensive grades on him last night and he wasn't in Pipeline's Top 30 for the Cubs or Fangraph's Top 52. 

Like, maybe if they jettison Sheets?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quin said:

I still think Carela gets added. He's got good stats as a young starter — some destitute, White Sox-esque team like the Royals or A's might figure they can make him a reliever for a year.

I tried to find defensive grades on him last night and he wasn't in Pipeline's Top 30 for the Cubs or Fangraph's Top 52. 

Fine with me. I think there's a few other guys we wouldn't mind losing. We may even open spots by trading Cease and Bummer (if there was legit interest at the deadline, maybe try to move him now too).

From MLB.com today (hardest call to make):

White Sox: Matthew Thompson, RHP (No. 22)
The White Sox spent $7.1 million on high school righties Thompson, Andrew Dalquist and Jared Kelley in the 2019 and 2020 Draft, and that investment has yet to pay off. A 2019 second-rounder from a Texas high school, Thompson can flash a plus fastball and curveball but got tagged for a 4.85 ERA and led the Southern League with 85 walks while striking out 136 in 124 1/3 Double-A innings.

Plus:

https://soxmachine.com/2023/11/white-sox-dont-have-to-sweat-40-man-roster-decision-deadline/

3 hours ago, Quin said:

That should already be high on the priority list...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

Crazy to think the Sox will make money. I understand why they will (TV revenue,  which baffles me. The economy is totally in the tank; have u walked out of a grocery story paying under 60 bucks just for some fruit, lunch meat, just a couple odds and ends like toothpaste?) yet somehow the networks can pay exorbitant amounts for a sport with low ratings. The Sox will be unwatchable next year yet the TV money piles in. Very strange stuff.

Every major league gets over $100M just to send 26 humans out in laundry 162 times like Oakland did last season.

That is before they sell a single ticket or television ad. Even if they sold zero ads and had zero viewers, they make a lot of money via cable / Direct TV carriage fees off of every single household that has a sports package forced to bundle CSN.

The way Jerry runs the team, and with their current stadium deal and Federal anti-trust exemptions, it would be impossible to lose money. The Sox are worth over $2B simply for existing in Chicago. Jerry and his partners would be worth close to a billion $ less if they moved to Tampa 35 years ago.

Per Forbes, these are the 2023 valuations and 2022 revenue for the five least valuable MLB teams plus the White Sox.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/miami-marlins/?sh=76b3ab0b6a27

• #30 Miami (Worth $1B, Revenue $238M, Gate Receipts $29M, Player Expense $104M)
  • #29 Oakland (Worth $1.18B, Revenue $212B, Gate Receipts $30M, Player Expense $70M)
  • #28 Cincinnati (Worth $1.19B, Revenue $250M, Gate Receipts $47M, Player Expense $138M)
  • #27 Kansas City (Worth $1.2B, Revenue $260M, Gate Receipts $54M, Player Expense $112M)
  • #26 Tampa Bay (Worth $1.25B, Revenue $248M, Gate Receipts $35M, Player Expense $119M)
  • #15 Chicago White Sox (Worth $2.05B, Revenue $276M, Gate Receipts $73M, Player Expense $213M)