White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t mind going all defense, game calling at catcher. It’s going to be a very young starting staff 

It’s a stop gap one year contract I’m fine with. Korey Lee is not and will not be a MLB catcher, not even a backup. Would like to see Carlos Perez get some more reps this year as he can actually hit MLB pitching.

Its not like they are handing $72M to some DH / 1B type who couldn’t or wouldn’t perform any catcher related duties beyond framing.

They also need relief pitchers, few of what they have are legitimate MLB quality, and most of those have injury issues (Santos and Crochet the primary two).

Sign a decent starter or two, grab a few  arms for the bullpen, a RF and legitimate backup OF and the Sox could surprise people in the 75 wins can clinch it AL Central.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If statcast rated Grandal higher than Maldonado defensively that should tell you everything you need to know about statcast and I had zero use for it before.  Sheesh.   

What’s your beef with Statcast out of curiosity?  Their catching metrics seem to be pretty objective.

25 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

In no world would Caratini pick the White Sox over the Astros. As a backup this move if fine. He'll provide some much needed leadership and the young arms on this team will like throwing to him.

Emphasis on leadership.  

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It’s a stop gap one year contract I’m fine with. Korey Lee is not and will not be a MLB catcher, not even a backup. Would like to see Carlos Perez get some more reps this year as he can actually hit MLB pitching.

Its not like they are handing $72M to some DH / 1B type who couldn’t or wouldn’t perform any catcher related duties beyond framing.

They also need relief pitchers, few of what they have are legitimate MLB quality, and most of those have injury issues (Santos and Crochet the primary two).

Sign a decent starter or two, grab a few  arms for the bullpen, a RF and legitimate backup OF and the Sox could surprise people in the 75 wins can clinch it AL Central.

The Twins’ run differential was only 10 worse than the Orioles last year

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Emphasis on leadership.  

De-emphasis on any of Getz’s acquisitions being able to hit major league pitching.  Which is more important?  I’ll let you decide.  But when the 2024 Sox are nearing 100 losses again, I think we’ll all know the answer.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Other than we could spending the money on better flip candidates?

You think overpaying Maldonado by 2-3M is going to stop that? Let’s be realistic here. Whether the front office is competent enough to make smart signings to flip is a whole different discussion, but I promise Maldonado isn’t going to prevent anything. 

What’s the payroll currently at? Like $90M? There’s gotta be at least $30M to play around with if they so choose. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Twins’ run differential was only 10 worse than the Orioles last year

Minnesota played well last season, though expect a drop off with their payroll drop / SP losses.

I think all five teams will be hard pressed playing over .500 outside the division. That said I’d bet the over on the Sox at this point, I think they will add more players (not stars but viable) to fill in some gaps.

Current 2024 MLB Win Odds

A. L. Central

1. 85 Minnesota
  2. 78 Detroit
  3. 77 Cleveland
  4. 66 Kansas City
  5. 64 Chicago

22 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

You think overpaying Maldonado by 2-3M is going to stop that? Let’s be realistic here. Whether the front office is competent enough to make smart signings to flip is a whole different discussion, but I promise Maldonado isn’t going to prevent anything. 

What’s the payroll currently at? Like $90M? There’s gotta be at least $30M to play around with if they so choose. 

No, but you said we could pay him $8M and it wouldn’t impact other things, which is what I’m calling out.

24 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Before Maldonado, Spotrac has them estimated at $117 million counting arbitration estimates. So yeah, literally $30 million higher than you guessed.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

117m for this sad sack of ballplayers.

Rick Hahn's legacy will live on for a while. 

Fwiw, that number includes the buyouts to TA ($1M) and Clevinger ($4M) that have already been paid. Actual 2024 payroll including filling out the roster with league min players is around $112.5M as things sit before Maldonado. 

23 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

We can’t even be sure which of the latter three will make the team out of spring. 

Unless there’s injuries in Spring Training, I would put my money on all three starting opening day since the Sox have no one else at SS until Montgomery is ready and the other two are Getz’s Royals boys.  I doubt ST performance even matters for them.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

The one area Martin and Stassi will help the entire staff (veteran and young pitchers) is improving the pitch / game calling, Many times it seemed they called the absolute worst pitches, either benefiting hitter preferences or not playing up to pitcher strengths or pitcher command at the time. There has been a big drop off from when McCann and McGuire were effective catchers in this area,

They still need to bring in quality pitchers, with or without Cease, and that may be an issue this year, but this is an area that hopefully will improve in 2024 and beyond. Hopefully the two veterans will also help mentor their catching prospects working with the new catcher coach Drew Butera. 

Also, there is a contract option for 2025, but financial terms have still not been disclosed.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

If it's around his salary for last year ($4M) and it's a club option with no to minimal ($1M) buyout, so $4M-$5M total, I'm fine with it.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You gotta be bleeping me ! This year isn't going to be about trying for wins. I'd be 100% floored if the Sox spent money on 6 more guy you mentioned.

2024 is about getting anyone in the Starting rotation and Moncada and Eloy traded and clearing as much payroll as possible off the books and gathering as many prospects as they can with a year or 2 of playing for the Sox.

If Maldonado is a done deal already even that shocks me unless after a year off Stassi can't cut it. I see zero reason for him otherwise when you have Lee, Perez and Hackeburg for peanuts .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You gotta be bleeping me ! This year isn't going to be about trying for wins. I'd be 100% floored if the Sox spent money on 6 more guy you mentioned.

2024 is about getting anyone in the Starting rotation and Moncada and Eloy traded and clearing as much payroll as possible off the books and gathering as many prospects as they can with a year or 2 of playing for the Sox.

If Maldonado is a done deal already even that shocks me unless after a year off Stassi can't cut it. I see zero reason for him otherwise when you have Lee, Perez and Hackeburg for peanuts .

It’s possible Jerry does a complete tank job, and floats over multiple years below the amount they get for National TV + MLB.com, though this only occurred during three brief periods over Jerry’s 43 year tenure:

• Late 80s Move threat, Closing Comiskey Park
  • Late 90s Post White Flag Trade
  • Late 10s Publicly declared tanking

I don’t believe they will publicly declare a new tanking era, or trade Robert to zero out MLB talent. I do believe they could flip the two you mention if there were takers and a reasonable return.

I do think they add $10M-$20M net from now to Spring Training (net would include adding to offset a trade of Cease’s estimated $8.5M arb award). I do believe any trade involving Cease will include at least 1-2 players who will play for the Sox in 2024 (current MLB players or promotable mid 20s players), and that they will add at least 3-4 players I noted. Not stars or high priced, but credible MLB roster players which will improve depth.

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Yeah but they're gonna throw some serious leather.  

If they signed Kiermaier  I might believe that  but I think you have to be on your last legs dumpster dive or a AAAA type to play for the sox in 2024. Keirmaier has yet to regress to the putrid stage.

• Kyyle23 changed the title to White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025