Player Development Staff

nrockway

Just saw this tweet and didn't see a good place to post it...please merge with a different thread if there's a more appropriate location for it.

This seems like a complete 180 from whatever the last front office was doing, hiring people with science (kinesiology) backgrounds to assist in player development. Feels like Bannister has his fingerprints all over this and seems like a modern approach to baseball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-dolphin-ryan-fitzpatrick-tua-174918502.html

Football is obviously a quite different and distinctive sport…but will we ever see quotes like this about a Grifol-led staff?

Yogi Berra quote about baseball being 90% mental and the other half physical comes to mind.

Or the psychological struggles of players like Konerko, Kopech, Carlos Quentin, Gordon Beckham and Jared Kelenic (Harold shoutout).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-dolphin-ryan-fitzpatrick-tua-174918502.html

Football is obviously a quite different and distinctive sport…but will we ever see quotes like this about a Grifol-led staff?

Yogi Berra quote about baseball being 90% mental and the other half physical comes to mind.

Or the psychological struggles of players like Konerko, Kopech, Carlos Quentin, Gordon Beckham and Jared Kelenic (Harold shoutout).

Absolutely. I assume mental hang-ups would mean even more in baseball, where you have only a 200 or so millisecond window to make a decision that means the difference between success and failure. You can't second guess yourself. I don't think Pedro is the jerk that Flores is, but listening to him speak, I doubt he's inspiring confidence in his players to be their best. I think even La Russa was better at that. I still love TA as a player, but he strikes me as a pretty insecure guy and needed an "inspiring figure" to help him succeed. Pedro is not that.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

The Hahn regime had this too. What hopefully will be different is he just added people and expected them to be Superman and integrate it themselves rather that work to get whole org aligned

Who was that outsider super coach with the big online following and more youth/college experience who didn't even last a year with Sox again?

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Matt Lisle 

“I was trying to get the camps going and it all came crashing down. I was doing part-time gigs and the bills piled up,” Lisle said. “The house I rented, I negotiated to stay one more month in exchange for them keeping my deposit.  After that, I put my stuff in storage and did not pay the bill. I bounced on friends’ couches and I stayed in my car. I was at rock bottom.”

Lisle said he battled his own demons as found himself sleeping in his car, trying to figure out his next step.

“I was fighting a lot of negative voices, fears and depression,” Lisle admitted. “It was very difficult.”

https://chronicleillinois.com/news/cook-county-news/white-sox-hitting-coach-slugs-through-tough-times/

I like this guy. I guess he works for Oregon State now.  Wish him the best.

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Should take Madrigal with him...

That's an interesting point. I wonder if there's a Sox/Oregon State connection like there was a Bulls/Iowa State connection. Sox did select an an Oregon State guy in the 17th round of this past draft, Mikey Kane, who played 7 games in rookie league and posted a .839 OPS, 9 singles and 4 walks. 

Edited by nrockway

32 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Should take Madrigal with him...

Sox also took Jace Fry out of OSU in the third round in 2014, right below Michael Conforto, Of course, OSU produces a lot of good players like Adley Rutschman, Steven Kwan and Drew Rasmussen so maybe it's just a coincidence.

32 minutes ago, nrockway said:

That's an interesting point. I wonder if there's a Sox/Oregon State connection like there was a Bulls/Iowa State connection. Sox did select an an Oregon State guy in the 17th round of this past draft, Mikey Kane, who played 7 games in rookie league and posted a .839 OPS, 9 singles and 4 walks. 

Had Madrigal Grenier Rutschman Larnach and Guardians' LF who shall not be named.

And then the pitcher with underage sexual assault/family issues who the Royals were going to take under their wings at one point.

Edited by caulfield12

Just for the record, I wasn’t referring to Lisle, I was talking about Ben Hansen who was in a similar capacity here. He was credited with finding more velo on Kade McClure.

He left to do some sports stuff with intel, and then was hired by the Mets to be director of sports performance.

By all accounts, was a talented hire, but didn’t stick around and I assume because there wasn’t a lot to do in the Sox org.

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

By all accounts, was a talented hire, but didn’t stick around and I assume because there wasn’t a lot to do in the Sox org.

I don't know anything. But I'm guessing the KW/Hahn dynamic was purely toxic. The fact that such a big deal was made about a single decision maker says to me that a lot of mixed messages were flying around at so many levels. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Just for the record, I wasn’t referring to Lisle, I was talking about Ben Hansen who was in a similar capacity here. He was credited with finding more velo on Kade McClure.

He left to do some sports stuff with intel, and then was hired by the Mets to be director of sports performance.

I think there's room to be optimistic that the new front office might actually be able to build a savvy player development staff and give them useful tasks to perform. At least Bannister did it successfully in San Francisco. I don't know how much he's actually doing with the Sox on a day to day basis, but I have to hope that Getz is letting him build a similar system here. 

53 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I think there's room to be optimistic that the new front office might actually be able to build a savvy player development staff and give them useful tasks to perform. At least Bannister did it successfully in San Francisco. I don't know how much he's actually doing with the Sox on a day to day basis, but I have to hope that Getz is letting him build a similar system here. 

He at least had a front seat to what Zaidi built, who was the LAD player dev guru the first half of the Friedman era.

It is the benefit of Getz getting outside hires, they’ve seen what successful operations look like. Now hopefully they can execute them in a Reinsdorf culture of laziness.

• Like 2

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/team/front-office

Ridiculous how many higher end executive jobs (446 executive employees) their are in this organization especially in the Ticket office. I wish we can get rid of some these positions that are useless and put it towards analytics and scouting. 

Edited by PolishPrince34
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/team/front-office

Ridiculous how many higher end executive jobs (446 executive employees) their are in this organization especially in the Ticket office. I wish we can get rid of some these positions that are useless and put it towards analytics and scouting. 

Reinsdorf would have made a great bureaucrat.

• Like 1